What's new

plummet

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pretty slow going today .I found a few tips and a broke.Then right as I was leaving this plummet popped up.She's your basic fish weight and represents yet another type I've found on this site...mjm

ForumRunner_20140425_192958.webp
 
Upvote 0
I here you twitch its amazing how a little rock with a groove in it can make a grown man smile...mjm
 
Sweet! I wish we had them here. That would of made my year, congrats
 
I have yet to find one with a hole in it or the kind with indented sides.All of mine are the kind that are necked with the line being attached on the neck.This one here is the most basic of plummets I have.But any plummet to me is a good plummet...mjm
 
Congratulations on a well deserved find! Very Nice! :icon_thumleft:
 
Nice find! I've found some that could never have worked as fishing weights.. Also highly polished ones made of exotic material I doubt would have been used for that.
Who knows maybe some were weights and some were worn as jewelry kind of like a captain of a ship wears a gold anchor around his neck... Or those little gold fish hooks people wear on their hat bills.
They are some of my favorite finds
 
Last edited:
Great artifact and find. congrats...
 
What an excellent find! I've never found anything like that (jealous, jealous). Congrats on your 'subtly cool artifact' (like how that sounds- thanks Twitch;))
Yak
 
This pics for you johnnyx.All but one was found at the same site...mjm

ForumRunner_20140426_133658.webp
 
Rock I believe them to be late archiac.I believe this to be a maritime archaic site.The slate points and bayonets are diagnostic of that period.But it is a multi component site so I'm not sure if plummet use extended into time periods on either side of that or not.I guess I better check it out...
 
Your examples all look like symmetrical examples that are called "Classic Plummets" and are generally dated to the Middle Archaic, and in your neck of the woods, as you stated, the resource adaptation was known as the Maritime Archaic. The later plummets, which are made the same way, but often asymmetrical and just not made as carefully as to symmetrical form, are known by the somewhat pejorative term "Clumsy Plummet", and that less well made style dates from the Late-Transitional Archaic. I'm sure all your classic examples are associated with the Maritime Archaic level at your site.

For comparison purposes, here's a clumsy plummet from RI. Nowhere near as much shaping involved; it's just a groove around a pebble:
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    107.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
A couple different ones.

ForumRunner_20140427_083512.webp



ForumRunner_20140427_083533.webp



ForumRunner_20130811_010516-1.webp
 
Thanks charl what do you think of wills axe found within fifty feet of this plummet.Do you think it fits into this time period.?
 
Those are nice examples gatorboy especially those last two.The grey one is so well made it looks mass produced and one would expect to see CHINA on it somewhere...way to nice to risk losing while in use...mjm
 
Thanks charl what do you think of wills axe found within fifty feet of this plummet.Do you think it fits into this time period.?

Yes, absolutely. Heck of a site you guys are working.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom