What's new

plummet

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pretty slow going today .I found a few tips and a broke.Then right as I was leaving this plummet popped up.She's your basic fish weight and represents yet another type I've found on this site...mjm

ForumRunner_20140425_192958.webp
 
Upvote 0
Most of the sites I hunt are Late Archaic and of course other periods mixed in. All are near creeks that flow into a river miles away. But I have yet to find a Plummet or any type of weight for fishing. They did have the rock Weirs on the river. Kinda strange if it has to due with water.
 
I'd think you would eventually find one they are in southern states. Is there a history of them being found in your area?I've only found two on the surface....mjm
 
I'd think you would eventually find one they are in southern states. Is there a history of them being found in your area?I've only found two on the surface....mjm

Im not sure I will have to ask some collectors I know.
 
Just look it up online.
They're usually made with the same material the hard stone artifacts in the area are made from so they're not going to jump out at you as easily as flint.
 
These were found by Son Anderson.

ForumRunner_20140428_080407.webp
 
I can't figure them out I don't get all the size variances.They were supposedly used for nets as well as fish lines.Once you start adding all the possibilities.The type of water conditions....ocean,lakes, slow moving streams,faster moving rivers,a lot of variables here.This site I'm at there's a possibility they were used in the pursuit of swordfish which blows my mind.The smallest plummet I found I was told they find in cemetery contents...a lot of options to consider.Let alone some of the non-water options....mjm
 
This one should make your head spin its pottery

704223d1347554521t-since-i-joined-t-net-forumrunner_20121123_183318.webp
 
That's different see that really don't make sense as a weight.I thought mine to be pottery also.It only weights six grams about the weight of a quarter.....The archy I sent a picture to said he thought it to be some other light material....mjm

ForumRunner_20140428_092911.webp
 
It looks like pumice
 
Isn't pumice more porous with holes in it?
 
It depends on how much air was trapped in it when it was made.
Drop your piece in a glass of water see if it floats lol
 
Floats like a rock....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom