What's new

Poison Ivy sucks. :(

ryaan21

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
437
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went detecting out near a river that has seen traffic on its shores since the early 1900's. Smelt fishing was really popular there until all the smelt got fished out. Anyways a week or so later I develop a rash on my arm, leg and both hands. It gets worse and itches so bad I went in to the clinic. Poison Ivy. Don't even remember seeing it...but it is really UNCOOL lol.
 
That sucks. I've devoleped somewhat of an immunity to it over the years. I can get in it and maybe itch a little, but I won't break out. Still, I always wear long pants when hunting in the woods. Love hunting by the rivers too.

-Swartzie
 
I can roll around in it.

My helpers have gotten it in the past, though, and it's tough for a few days. Antihistamines may help.

I've been warned that all immunities wear off, but I don't believe that, sour grapes etc.
 
Better learn to identify it. Throw it on a fire and breath the smoke and you're in big trouble. Heard about some guy who ran over some with a lawnmower, breathed in the stuff and darn near died from it. Same thing with poison oak. Take a look at what oleander looks like too. You don't want to throw that stuff on a fire either.
 
Haha, that sucks man! I got it last week detecting... Luckily I had some Prednisone onhand and a few doses of that dried it right up. Bryan H.
 
Break out the Morton

I once somehow got one of the three poisons (Ivy, Oak, Sumac) on my arm where the detector support cup rubs and ended up with a huge thick itching welt. Not sure which variety as we were in a field that had been bush hogged and I obviously laid the detector right down in one of those three of mother nature's radiations when digging a hole.

This stuff I had gotten into was beyond calamine and other lotions. By experiment I discovered that applying a heavy paste of salt to the welt immediately stopped the itching. After a couple hours it would start to itch again, but by washing the welt with soap and water and reapplying the salt paste I would get another few hours of relief.

I also cleaned the detector support cup before the next outing so that I would not reinfect myself.
 
That poison ivy messes me up!!! I got nailed with it at Marine Combat Training in Camp Pendleton. Got it right on the butt. Dont ask me how. Didnt show up till almost a week later at Fort Sill Oklahoma. Had to go to their aid station and the female nurse looked at me funny when I showed her my huge rash on my rear. Got the shot in the buttocks and a few days later it went away!!


Now Fort Bragg was a different story!! Seems I got it every time I went and trained out there. About 3 times a year. That stuff is terrible!!!
 
MDind in early spring once,digging around the roots,did'nt know it,them I had to relieve myself and you know the rest of the story!!!!!!!!!!!! BLISTER CITY
 
Zanfel - small tube at WalMart about $25.Follow directions and 5 min after the shower no more itch!It works.All the linemen use it out here in the country.
 
Dish soap breaks down the oils of the ivy. I went through a wallof PI in NC a few years back and 3 hrs later took a bath in dish soap...never got a single itch. I carry a bottle in my car...between MDing and geocaching, I know I'm going to be near it sooner or later. However, being able to identify it is the best prevention.
 
Nah, I think it just rubs you the wrong way :laughing7:
 
I would try JEWELWEED. break it and rub it all over. can't use too much. I had found this to cure my problem a few years back.
 
goochas said:
Dish soap breaks down the oils of the ivy. I went through a wallof PI in NC a few years back and 3 hrs later took a bath in dish soap...never got a single itch. I carry a bottle in my car...between MDing and geocaching, I know I'm going to be near it sooner or later. However, being able to identify it is the best prevention.

This is true. Wash right away; in fact wash up when you're done detecting - what do you have to lose? :laughing7:
 
As a kid, I got poison ivy real bad every summer.
 
I've got poison ivy 2 times this year and I got poison sumac about 2 weeks ago. It still itches and I HATE IT!
 
I wish I would have seen this post earlier (you're already heals by now)... but if you do a search on T-Net...(oops, wait you can't unless your charter, nevermind). But, you would have found some great remidies for poison ivy (I can walk 10 feet near it and get it all over). My technique is to flush very hot water over the area for a few minutes until it stops itching, calimin, and then repeat the next day. (The itching will stop until the next day). Hot water draws the itch/oils out of your skin and completely removes all itching.
 
If you get a good shower in the evening after being out in the woods or 4wheeling or what have you, it cuts the chances down of breaking out! I caught it last year while camping when we rolled up tents on the ground! The area was weed whacked before we got there and it rained on last night. Everything was wet in the morning! I'd rather have poison ivy than CHIGGERS though!
 
ohioaxeman said:
If you get a good shower in the evening after being out in the woods or 4wheeling or what have you, it cuts the chances down of breaking out! I caught it last year while camping when we rolled up tents on the ground! The area was weed whacked before we got there and it rained on last night. Everything was wet in the morning! I'd rather have poison ivy than CHIGGERS though!

I was about to say that! LOL
 
chukers said:
ohioaxeman said:
If you get a good shower in the evening after being out in the woods or 4wheeling or what have you, it cuts the chances down of breaking out! I caught it last year while camping when we rolled up tents on the ground! The area was weed whacked before we got there and it rained on last night. Everything was wet in the morning! I'd rather have poison ivy than CHIGGERS though!

I was about to say that! LOL

Really? Are chiggers that bad? :dontknow:
 
by the time you itch from chiggers they're already gone. when you do see them, they're red and about the size of a pinhead. if you spray your pants and legs with a good insect repellent it should keep them away.
as for PI, I got it a couple of years ago so bad, I had to take steroids for 2 weeks to get rid of it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom