Possible Civil War Find. What is it?

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
I was out detecting at the local backyard battlefield and came across this. At first I thought that it was a piece of twisted electrical wire and threw it on the trash side of my pouch. After several days of being in the pouch, I took a closer look at it and realized that it was solid brass not insulated copper wire. There is a very dark patina on it. So I'm thinking that it was civil war related based on its age and location found. I'm not sure what it belongs to and asked a buddy to look in his artifact book. Does anyone know what this is? Or what it belongs to?

I threw a quarter in the pic for a size reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Brass with Quarter.jpg
    Brass with Quarter.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Top brass.jpg
    Top brass.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,055
Upvote 0

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Try putting it in the whats it section and I am sure you get some suggestions.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need to talk! Big Klein Tools fan here too! I have a couple of those gorgeous old crimpers. ;D :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Poptopagain

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I put it on the What is it forum. Then saw this posting of a splice. Did they make them out of brass? It looks very similar.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
55th Massachusetts said:
How about a pic of the whole item. Could possibly be a gun cleaning piece.
REB

I agree with 55th Mass. There were Civil War gun cleaning tangs that looked MUCH like this piece but it could be a splice like SWR mentioned above. Here's a pic of a variant of the gun cleaning tool that we're talking about. There were different styles, this is just one of the many:

Attachments

• P1011965.JPG
    P1011965.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 843

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poptopagain said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I put it on the What is it forum. Then saw this posting of a splice. Did they make them out of brass? It looks very similar.

It is not a splice. I would be more inclined to go with the cleaning rod. By the way, it does appear to be copper, in the picture. How did you determine that it is brass. (Brass would be used in a cleaning tool rather than copper.)

Though the picture offered looks similar, yours has two free ends showing. A splice is two copper wires twisted, then wrapped at the ends, (as in the picture offered by SWR.)

OP
OP
Poptopagain

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I thought it was brass because it was very rigid and all of the other brass items I've dug looked like that after digging them. I will scape one of the ends and see what it looks like. I'll post another pic afterwards.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
Poptopagain said:

It is not a splice. I would be more inclined to go with the cleaning rod. By the way, it does appear to be copper, in the picture. How did you determine that it is brass. (Brass would be used in a cleaning tool rather than copper.)

Though the picture offered looks similar, yours has two free ends showing. A splice is two copper wires twisted, then wrapped at the ends, (as in the picture offered by SWR.)

I agree and noticed that the piece in question looks alittle brasslike unlike the splice. So keep the hope alive, it could be a cleaning jag. Though the one I posted above looks alittle different, there were several different variations :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ResearchandRecovery said:
Just throwing this one out there... Telegraph wire.

te54.jpg
Telegraph wire has crossed my mind too.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
I guess a electric splice could be a civil war relic . ??
'McIntire joint' .The Western Union Telegraph Company adopted its use in place of the 'Western Union joint' on the transcontinental telegraph line.
Western Union completed the transcontinental telegraph line on October 24, 1861.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/telegraph.htm

Attachments

• wstrn_unn_splice.jpg
    wstrn_unn_splice.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2,981
  • McIntyre_joint.jpg
    McIntyre_joint.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 959
  • telegraph.jpg
    telegraph.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 723

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
taz42o said:
'McIntire joint' .The Western Union Telegraph Company adopted its use in place of the 'Western Union joint' on the transcontinental telegraph line.
Western Union completed the transcontinental telegraph line on October 24, 1861.

I am familiar with the Western Union splice but not the 'McIntire joint'. Is that a sleeve?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
bigcypresshunter said:
taz42o said:

I am familiar with the Western Union splice but not the 'McIntire joint'. Is that a sleeve?
Yes Mcintire joint uses copper sleeve. The ends were left open not twisted .

http://books.google.com/books?id=YT...m=8&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
SWR said:
taz42o said:

Not trying to be difficult just wondering how you can tell the age when that type of splice has been used since before 1861?

This item is a twisted sleeve. Very much post-civil war

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
SWR said:
taz42o said:
Not trying to be difficult just wondering how you can tell the age when that type of splice has been used since before 1861?

Can you cite an example of copper wire/ copper sleeve being used before 1861?
No, but can say it was used long before 1930.(Patent 1885) And have read it was used by western union on transcontinental telegraph (1861)second link,but cant prove that. Also it is possible that prior to 1885 there was not a sleeve used ,just twisted wires.?
So I guess i cant prove it was used before 1861,Yet, but can you prove it was not? Not trying to say your wrong just trying to learn.

1885 patent- http://www.google.com/patents?id=_6...ages&cad=1#v=onepage&q=mcintire joint&f=false

http://www.dr-fix-it.com/arc_western_union.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread