Post the most random things you have found while out in the middle of the woods 🌲 🌲 🌲

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting this thread for those random things you have come across while out in the middle of the woods. Stuff that just doesn’t belong there. Could be stuff growing into trees, massive sites out of place, random people you came across in the middle of nowhere, vehicles, homemade structures or campsites. Anything that just doesn’t belong. I bet this community as a whole has seen some pretty weird stuff out there. Let’s hear about it or see it if you took a photo.

BAADE419-A2BA-4439-B657-9EC8B4F3DB6E.jpeg

Outboard motor in a tree, 30 miles away from any water source.

E4377F41-9A6B-40F7-86D3-CEE80708A2FA.jpeg

2A8FBBCE-BA9E-41B6-ADC0-6F865B1AFC9F.jpeg
22551178-9A61-440E-BB14-69E0ED08D845.jpeg

Random car far from any roads or trails. I think it’s been there awhile, judging from the size of tree growing up through the still connected bumper.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid I cams across a "corvette graveyard" one time in the middle of the woods, half a mile from the nearest road. There were half a dozen old (60's, 70's) corvette bodies rusting away in the woods. No engines, no wheels, no interiors, just the bodies. Weird.

But yeah, the outboard motor in the tree kinda tops it. 8-)

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
Starting this thread for those random things you have come across while out in the middle of the woods. Stuff that just doesn’t belong there. Could be stuff growing into trees, massive sites out of place, random people you came across in the middle of nowhere, vehicles, homemade structures or campsites. Anything that just doesn’t belong. I bet this community as a whole has seen some pretty weird stuff out there. Let’s hear about it or see it if you took a photo.

View attachment 2101128

View attachment 2101132
View attachment 2101133 View attachment 2101134
Random car far from any roads or trails. I think it’s been there awhile, judging from the size of tree growing up through the still connected bumper.

View attachment 2101128

View attachment 2101132
Can’t come close to any of those. Strangest out of place thing I’ve found is a deflated football about a mile from any house.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid I cams across a "corvette graveyard" one time in the middle of the woods, half a mile from the nearest road. There were half a dozen old (60's, 70's) corvette bodies rusting away in the woods. No engines, no wheels, no interiors, just the bodies. Weird.

Chop woods (shop)
Knew of one in BC.
DriveTrains were offered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can anything compare to an outboard engine in a tree!
i didnt think it was that good, really. That was just an example to get this thread started. I know members have got loads more and stranger encounters. That outboard will be really good though in another 50-100 years. When its higher up and has been totally swallowed up by the tree. just the head on one side and the propeller on the other. ha ha

huh sounds like a very specific little scrap yard. Or some Corvette guys with a shop, that just stripped out all the parts and then dumped the bodies out in the woods. hahaha sounds creepy "dumped the bodies in the woods"
Can’t come close to any of those. Strangest out of place thing I’ve found is a deflated football about a mile from any house.
ahh the great American pastime of deep forest football. Way harder then on just some field. lol
Metal through tree pic
do you know what that is coming out of the tree? does it go through to the other side?

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was deep in the mountains of PA walking a well used trail marked by the state....normally you "kick up" deer or black bear....kicked up a naked man holding a 6 foot stick with a toothbrush tied to the end of it....he briskly walked away...no other signs of a camp site.

That outboard motor could be worth something....I'd cut it out of that tree.

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was deep in the mountains of PA walking a well used trail marked by the state....normally you "kick up" deer or black bear....kicked up a naked man holding a 6 foot stick with a toothbrush tied to the end of it....he briskly walked away...no other signs of a camp site.

Lol. That must of gave you quite a fright. I was going to say why did he have his toothbrush on a 6 foot stick. But then I remembered he was naked, no pockets. That was probably his sole possession.
I don’t think the outboard is worth anything, it’s older. and it would have to be worth a lot for me to want to hike back out there.
Nice one! Keep ‘‘em coming

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My thoughts too, but I am a fisherman. I used one like that when I was a kid my Buddy loaned it to me because I could only afford a row boat. I would actually drag that old car out also and turn it into a roadster.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i didnt think it was that good, really. That was just an example to get this thread started. I know members have got loads more and stranger encounters. That outboard will be really good though in another 50-100 years. When its higher up and has been totally swallowed up by the tree. just the head on one side and the propeller on the other. ha ha

huh sounds like a very specific little scrap yard. Or some Corvette guys with a shop, that just stripped out all the parts and then dumped the bodies out in the woods. hahaha sounds creepy "dumped the bodies in the woods"

ahh the great American pastime of deep forest football. Way harder then on just some field. lol

do you know what that is coming out of the tree? does it go through to the other side?
Arrow, doesn't go all the way through.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023

View attachment 2101128

View attachment 2101132

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That outboard will be really good though in another 50-100 years. When its higher up and has been totally swallowed up by the tree.

Trees don’t lift things up. Trees grow up from the tips of branches. The outboard is exactly where it was placed before the tree grew around it. Think of an old fence line that trees have grown around. You never see the old fence wires up in the air.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I rode my bike to a private, rural pond to go fishing. I was 15. Got back into the timber and saw 3 authentic looking tepees, Native looking guys, several riding bareback. I thought Id hit a time tunnel! I got out of there quickly. Found later they were part of a reenactment group that did rendezvous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions