Prepare for flooding - Sierra Nevadas CALIFORNIA

getting good rain here in fresno county

Yep, looks like my trip to Euchre bar is getting put on hold...hopefully next weekend.
Nice to finally have a little weather tho...

On the contrary, with the exception of some localized flooding and ponding water, the watersheds are most certainly not going to be at flood stage any time in the next week.

CNRFC - Hydrology - River Guidance - Graphical RVF - NFDC1

3,000 cfs on the North Fork American is normal for this time of year.

Regardless, we need the rain baaaaad.

L.G.

antecedent soil moisture deficit comes to mind! Thirsty dirt, no run off!

Aufisther,
With such a scholarly phrase as "antecedent soil moisture deficit" I have no problem believing you are a teacher and a hydrologist.
I gave you a "LIKE" for that phraseology. I'll use that next time instead of saying "We need rain."
HH,
Don.....

antecedent soil moisture deficit comes to mind! Thirsty dirt, no run off!

Yesterday I took a loooong drive up the Foresthill Divide, then another 10 miles east on Soda Springs Road past Robinson Flat... I was struck by the extent of the burn from the American Fire... about 30,000 acres...

InciWeb the Incident Information System: American News Release

Indeed there will be excess runoff from areas recently burned over due to hydrophobic soils...

Soil Erosion Control after Wildfire

Will the excess runoff be volumetrically sgnificant in terms of the overall hydrologic basin covering the North Fork? Nope, not even close! However, the excess surface runoff is sure to cause excess erosion within the burn boundary and will certainly muddy up the North and Middle Forks of the American R. for the near future. There will not be any significant new erosion of lode gold or transport of flood gold... this is a very insignificant event in the grand scheme of things.

L.G.

Ya all are scarin me with all this edumacated boloviation. Everyone knows miners ain't fer smarts, you're gonna give us another stereo type ya keep it up !

Wish the VSAT was H2O proof!

Lol.... It has been raining all day an there aren't even any puddles in the dirt. Calif is a big dry sponge right now.

Snow today, flow for tomorrow!

Getting rain here finally in southern california. I guess our winter starts now.

Light rain here in CC on and off all day but this weekend is supposed to go 3-4 inches more. I got out for 4 gallons of material between showers. Still got soaked and the first couple of test pans...meh.

Check out this link for the Smith river...Dr Fine bridge is less than a mile down the road from me.

Current Smith River Levels and Conditions - Northern California

Not alot really...which as it should be. Just need lots more of them. And, Steelhead are finally running!:headbang:

What? the Sierra Nevada's I know have snow at this time of the yr? Whats up with rain?

This storm finishes up Monday, I'm thinking, give it a few days to run off and by next weekend there might be some freshly washed crevices, and bedrock in need of a closer look. Water levels initially went down slowly, without washing away the silt and fines. This is the first good flushing we've had, weak as it may be. Gotta make hay while the sun shines!

I hope you get the moisture you need, but I also hope you get some good runoff to replenish some gold in your streams as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Although during the american fire there were many slides along the canyon walls of the middle fork due to soil degradation and loss of stabilizing root systems due to the high heat of the fire. Thus bringing some possible gold bearing gravels from tertiary sources closer to if not into the streambed. But it wont be distributed without a much, much higher flow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back