Protect your sites - I-Phone Warning

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This news story was about protecting your family if you take pictures with your I-Phone then post online. I don't use an I-Phone so I'm not concerned about it but then I started to think about people using their I-phones to take pictures while out metal detecting. It is as if you are giving directions to your sites.

Watch video:

Be careful out there.

NJ

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
I just checked and photos posted on this site do have the exact location the photos were taken. It works

Wow, glad I don't use a phone for pics.

I wounder if I should warn people of this on such posts; photos are posted, with such data atached??

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Todays technology is alarming. Its like Big Brother 1984 coming true. Turn off the GPS.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lostcauses said:
I just checked and photos posted on this site do have the exact location the photos were taken. It works

I wounder if I should warn people of this on such posts; photos are posted, with such data atached??

If your going to do that then send them a private message...I would not post it on the thread for the world to see.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eyeball.jpg

Happily I gave a Go Phone without camera, or apps . . . Heck, even I can't get information out of it.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
N.J.THer said:
lostcauses said:

If your going to do that then send them a private message...I would not post it on the thread for the world to see.

Debatable and I am still thinking about it.
It odes awnser some questions I have had about folks telling me some things an woundering how others got the information.

So far other than the few I have warned open and through PMs, I will just direct em to this thread. This information should be posted to the top of the Today's Finds!, and the artifact section CRHing etc.

The worst risk of this is for some thief trolling to find a place to rip off.

Of course finding folks on a site might not be to fun.
Also such locations attached to photos could get folks investigated by Law Enforcement if they were in the wrong place.

It is a problem it seems.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lostcauses said:

The worst risk of this is for some thief trolling to find a place to rip off.

I was thinking about this last night. How many people state online that they have been hunting for 30+ years or they post a picture of all the gold they have accumulated while detecting. Most likely that picture was taken in their home and if it was done with an I-Phone it gives thiefs a prime target. I know a few people that detect and had their homes robbed and I always thought it was a random act but now I'm thinking it may not have been.

I just want people to be safe. I even debated about posting this because I did not want to give people any ideas but then I figured the criminal community is usually very up on technology and most likely already know this. From the story it sounds like the easy fix to protect yourself is to just change your settings.

NJ

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
N.J.THer
I suspect it could be also related to missing people and children also.

It is a bad thing in my opinion.
Personal security is at risk with this being the default setting of these phones.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lostcauses said:
N.J.THer
I suspect it could be also related to missing people and children also.

It is a bad thing in my opinion.
Personal security is at risk with this being the default setting of these phones.

Fully agree.

I know my brothers kids have I-Phones and don't think twice about posting pictures to Facebook. They are attractive young teenagers which a online psycho could target. I called him first thing to warn him of this. My kids are still too young to have phones and me and the wife are not into the new hot phone and both use antique models.

NJ

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all kinds of scary implications, the least of which is giving away the location of your "honey hole" site.

I was an early adopter of cell phones...made my first cell based call in 1985 bought my first car-install in 1987, now after 25 years, I have quit cell phones altogether, cold turkey and am less stressed and much more at peace.
I run 3 businesses and I remember how we did things before cell phones....we planned ahead.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to be the only human out here in Denver that has never had a cellphone. Annoys my friends to no end, and at times one could really come in handy, (detecting up in the higher area ghost towns), but just don't want one.
Carl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this last year.
& Ya Know,
It's like how the nightly News advertising
the Latest Drug the Kids should be into.

if
they didn't advirtise this in these
so Called warnings nobody
would Know. :BangHead:

Not that it effects me.

My Phone is a Phone

My Camera is a Camera

If I Had a GPS guess what.

it would be a GPS :tongue3:

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the same kind of story they were showing on the news this past summer. They were showing you how crooks make a bump key, that will open most common door locks and they even showed pic on U tube on how to actually do it. Dosen't everybody need this kind of info wtf :dontknow: :help:

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
have a trashy area that you want cleaned up? use the iphone to take pics of gold and silver there :) :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: sometimes you have to think outside the box

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
N.J.THer.... Thank you for posting this. I have a 27 year old daughter that is phone crazy and is constantly taking pictures of her daughter as well as others.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just turn off the GPS on your phone or change the picture settings to exclude location stamps.

OR...

Download them to you computer, then go under image properties, click the details tab and then at the bottom click "Remove properties and personal information".

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not just a phone thing. There are many point and shoot cameras coming out these days with GPS tagging. So don't think that if you use your camera instead of your phone that you are covered.

As Lakemonster pointed out, you need to turn off the GPS tagging function AND make sure by going into the settings of the picture to make sure no personal information is there.

This issue was brought to the forefront last year and a lot of devices now come with this disabled by default for security reasons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread