chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the deal with pull tabs... Well pull tabs ring up from a VDI of 26+ to 55+... well that happens to be the same area gold rings and jewelry rings up at... I think I'm doing something wrong... I've dug a box full of pulltabs this year but no gold rings yet...

Anyone out there able to help?

I have literally dug every VDI signal between 26+ to 55+ and covered miles of ground...

Anyone have any helpful tips for the V3i?

Chukers

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are at a sandy beach where rings slip off fingers easy you are just going to have to take your chances with digging. Since gold rings are alloyed with many metals it also gives them the spread of numbers on your VDI. There is no magic program for you to punch in to the expensive detector just for finding gold rings. Many that also have screens and have upped their ratio have done it by just not digging coins and concentrate on the pull tab readings.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Unless you are at a sandy beach where rings slip off fingers easy you are just going to have to take your chances with digging. Since gold rings are alloyed with many metals it also gives them the spread of numbers on your VDI. There is no magic program for you to punch in to the expensive detector just for finding gold rings. Many that also have screens and have upped their ratio have done it by just not digging coins and concentrate on the pull tab readings.

I was afraid of that... I'm still going to dig coins, but I am sure digging a lot more 26-55 signals... 60 tabs in 3 hours is a lot in my opinion.

Thanks for responding.

Chukers

Attachments

• finds 10-3.jpg
    finds 10-3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,703
  • finds 10-3.jpg
    finds 10-3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,622

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chukers said:
Sandman said:

I was afraid of that... I'm still going to dig coins, but I am sure digging a lot more 26-55 signals... 60 tabs in 3 hours is a lot in my opinion.

Thanks for responding.

Chukers

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,355301.0.html

That looks about right I haven't found anything gold since June 12 and i hunt 2 days a week 5 to 6 hours each day!!!until yesterday11

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know ANYTHING about the V3i, but gold rings can come in lower than 26 on my MXT. I've had some 10k rings show around 18 on the VDI.

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
GibH is correct - many gold items come in foil range - lower vdi #s. Truth is gold can come in anywhere from neg 2 or 3 to 50 plus. I generally start out digging everything - then after starting to tire - I become a little more selective - depending on the site - sand/dirt/woodchips - pulltabs/screwcaps/bottletops/iron,etc... For example - in loose sand/lots of pulltabs - dig everything BUT pulltab vdi# - dig uncommom signals and ignore the most prevalent trash signal. Next time you come back to this spot - start off digging pulltab vdi# till you tire - then become more selective again - it's a process and over time - will get most good targets until you reach a point of diminishing returns(trash to gold ratio not good enough to warrant continued searching). hh

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
I don't know ANYTHING about the V3i, but gold rings can come in lower than 26 on my MXT. I've had some 10k rings show around 18 on the VDI.

The V3i is unlike any other detector... it uses 3 frequencies at at once... and its a very noisy detector hard to master(especially with the D2 coil) but deadly accurate when you do. I have figured almost everything out on it except gold... Nickels come in at a solid 19 on all 3 frequencies... but can show up from 18 to 25 depending on angle and what else is close to it. I base most of my finds as good targets when all 3 frequencies line up or are close to it... if they are scattered its very hard to determine if its a diggable target... see pic below.

Now if gold don't line up like that, lets say the 3 bars are higher and lower on different frequencies and fluctuating on ever sweep I'm screwed... its gotta be a steady signal... there is so much noise coming from a V3i it can stress you out and give you a headache at times!

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond

Chukers

Attachments

• vdi19.JPG
    vdi19.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,614

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain with my drfx 300 tired of digging pulltabs, guess you have to keep digging them, have you tried sides of soccer fields??

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my understanding of the V3 is that you can have normalized and nonnormalized VDI numbers....The normalized readings are manipulated to display the same readings as the earlier whites machines that ran around the 6khz mark....i believe that if you run nonnormalized you pick up a slightly larger range of VDIs in the gold range, albeit the VDIs will change range significantly(say what was a 19 may now be a 57, i don't own a V3 yet so you will have to experiment yourself) I can tell you this, i run an M6 and while gold can appear most anywhere in the spectrum i dig EVERYTHING that comes up between 10 and 21 on the VDI scale and have been fairly successful with digging rings on land with this setup. Am i missing some? sure, but i have found that this zone of targets gives me a great payoff vs. the amount of junk targets i dig (especially pulltabs). Also, i would probably run in just the 22khz frequency mode if i were looking strictly for gold. Let us know how you make out. I am very interested in the V3 but haven't been able to come up with the $$$ yet to get one
thanks
John

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The-Bone said:
my understanding of the V3 is that you can have normalized and nonnormalized VDI numbers....The normalized readings are manipulated to display the same readings as the earlier whites machines that ran around the 6khz mark....i believe that if you run nonnormalized you pick up a slightly larger range of VDIs in the gold range, albeit the VDIs will change range significantly(say what was a 19 may now be a 57, i don't own a V3 yet so you will have to experiment yourself) I can tell you this, i run an M6 and while gold can appear most anywhere in the spectrum i dig EVERYTHING that comes up between 10 and 21 on the VDI scale and have been fairly successful with digging rings on land with this setup. Am i missing some? sure, but i have found that this zone of targets gives me a great payoff vs. the amount of junk targets i dig (especially pulltabs). Also, i would probably run in just the 22khz frequency mode if i were looking strictly for gold. Let us know how you make out. I am very interested in the V3 but haven't been able to come up with the $$$ yet to get one
thanks
John

Well as far as the VDI numbers the V3i is the same as my eagle spectrum... they thing with the V3i is, it runs 3 frequencies at once. it transmits at 2.5kHz, 7.5kHz and 22.5kHz, Since I am not just looking for gold, I think running all 3 at once is the best way to go for my hunting needs. I am finding that if at first I dig everything that has a consistent signal on all 3 frequencies then come back later and dig those iffy signals I do pretty good over all.

I have had it almost a year now and have done fairly good with it... I could never go back to a single frequency detector now that I have used this. It is costly... but I plan to have this one for 20 years too... or more. There are several reasons why I chose the V3i over the DFX and I am glad I did. I am using the 950 coil with it rather than the D2 coil that came with it... I had several issues with the D2 coil

I am very comfortable with how it works, so I don't really want to go changing up how it reports its finds to me... but now if changing the VDI numbers would help identify gold rings better I may consider it at least add a new program to try out. I'll have to look into that more.

Chukers

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of gold rings are alloyed with different metals didn't you get?
"Since gold rings are alloyed with many metals it also gives them the spread of numbers on your VDI. There is no magic program for you to punch in to the expensive detector just for finding gold rings."
It is impossible to make a program that only shows gold rings without you digging any pull tabs. :dontknow:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
"Since gold rings are alloyed with many metals it also gives them the spread of numbers on your VDI. There is no magic program for you to punch in to the expensive detector just for finding gold rings."
It is impossible to make a program that only shows gold rings without you digging any pull tabs. :dontknow:
Sandman some will never understand why gold and junk sound and read the same so save your typing fingers............... I see it all the time after you explain to them ..........They still ask.............. But Why......... You will never get through to them.why try...........

Attachments

• thumbnailCA036OMF.jpg
    thumbnailCA036OMF.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 2,948
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

well yeah... just trying to narrow it down thats all...

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
Sandman some will never understand why gold and junk sound and read the same so save your typing fingers............... I see it all the time after you explain to them ..........They still ask.............. But Why......... You will never get through to them.why try...........

someone got up on the wrong side of the bed!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago the top of the line detectors just went "BEEP" Later they got ground balance, tones, better disc and screens. Someday the conductivity of the metals will be more accurate on our detectors, but not yet. Tip a target on an angle and the field changes again.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you say the machine is running on 3 frequencies at once and is very noisey. Is it possible to switch the frequencies off to say 2 or even a single frequency? I know your not "getting the best data on targets" but it may be to your advantage on salt beaches. Also can you lock your ground to where it is not always tracking? I know this helps out in mineralized areas with my MXT when it goes to chattering so much. Have you taken all of the types of pull tabs and airtested them to see where they fall on your VDI scale? I know alot of gold I have ran under my machine comes up in the foil range. Also it sems only the larger mens style gold rings are going to be midrange on the scale. Just trying to throw a few ideas to you, Tim

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtim1973 said:
I see you say the machine is running on 3 frequencies at once and is very noisey. Is it possible to switch the frequencies off to say 2 or even a single frequency? I know your not "getting the best data on targets" but it may be to your advantage on salt beaches. Also can you lock your ground to where it is not always tracking? I know this helps out in mineralized areas with my MXT when it goes to chattering so much. Have you taken all of the types of pull tabs and airtested them to see where they fall on your VDI scale? I know alot of gold I have ran under my machine comes up in the foil range. Also it sems only the larger mens style gold rings are going to be midrange on the scale. Just trying to throw a few ideas to you, Tim

yes it can... thank you forthe Ideas..

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Years ago the top of the line detectors just went "BEEP" Later they got ground balance, tones, better disc and screens. Someday the conductivity of the metals will be more accurate on our detectors, but not yet. Tip a target on an angle and the field changes again.

yeah some day... thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Chukers

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Dude your doing it ...if there was a gold ring there.. Aaa .. :thumbsup:I think you would of fun it...look at all that stuff.....

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's pull tab signal, ( see pic ) that's what i thought it was until i started uncovering it 1 1/2 inches down!!! I have dug pounds of fishing sinkers, nails, thousands of tabs!!! Its good to see the gold stuff again I like the silver stuff that pops up in between but gold puts a certain sparkle in you eye when it comes up!!! HH Chug

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 1,096

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread