Pushable detector?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to hunt giant farm field from time to time and am always trying to think out an easier way to go about it.

I use an explorer, so the detector detects the whole center length of the coil.

So my thought was to build some kind of device to place my detector in sideways and just push it along and when a signal appears I can easily remove it and pinpoint the target.

Why am I thinking about this? Well I've gone to farm fields that have produced numerous coins in the past from old 1800s fairgrounds sites etc. that now yield the occasional good find, but they are few and far between. So It would be easier to strap on the 15" coil and just push it along until I got a signal instead of swinging it for 3 hours before I find a signal to dig (which I have done before).

Anybody ever thought about something like this or tried it before?

Upvote 0

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've thought about a detector that you would pull behind an atv - for detecting farm fields in England - it would have an array of coils and a laptop to see the hits... maybe even some kind of marking device (paint?)

I still wouldn't mind building it!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc said:
I've thought about a detector that you would pull behind an atv - for detecting farm fields in England - it would have an array of coils and a laptop to see the hits... maybe even some kind of marking device (paint?)

I still wouldn't mind building it!

I've heard about those before for people who hunt large meteorites I think.

Mine is a bit more simple, haha. Just make something light and simple out of PVC pipe.

But your does sound interesting! Start making it for everyone here to witiness the production of it ;)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I saw the post and was intrigued. why not do something very simple out of pvc, like you said. total cost would probably be around 10 dollars maybe. you can get the plastic wheels at home depot, or cannibalize them off some old, unused, kid's toys (i got plenty of those... want me to send you some?). Just make sure they don't have any metal in them... lol.

build a "T" out of 2" pvc. thread an "axle" of 3/4 pvc through the center and epoxy the wheels to the ends (non metallic of course). Attach the coil with plastic cable ties... I would think it should work... I sketched something real quick and took a pic with my phone... so sorry about the quality... and, oh yeah... it isn't to scale.

let us know how it turns out
steve

Attachments

• img032.jpg
    img032.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 317
OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that is basically what I was thinking of. Something along those lines.

I was also thinking of using 4 wheels so that I could just lay it into a resting area so it could quickly be removed from the device to pinpoint any targets. (Would hate to scratch a key date seated coin!)

It will definately be something that I will look in to this winter during my down time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got two detectors, you could just pull one and use the other when you needed to locate a signal, then no need to remove and re-tie it down.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasure_hunter said:
If you got two detectors, you could just pull one and use the other when you needed to locate a signal, then no need to remove and re-tie it down.

Then that would require me buying another explorer and having to carry that one then. Too expensive and carrying it defeats the whole purpose of pushing the other one around.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I thought you were going to be pulling it behind a 4 wheeler. Spare would just sit on top. I figured I was the only one with just a single detector.

I plan to buy another, saving for an ML Excal. I want two, so I can get wife to hunt or family/friends who might be interested.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the only possible problem i can think of with this idea would be if you have a motion detector. you probably wouldnt be able to push the coil fast enough to get much depth. of course, in true non motion all metal mode it should work like a gem.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
the only possible problem i can think of with this idea would be if you have a motion detector. you probably wouldnt be able to push the coil fast enough to get much depth. of course, in true non motion all metal mode it should work like a gem.

My thinking behind it would be to push the detector at the speed that you normally would swing it. You only need to hear the signal once to know it is there. Once you hear it you can quickly remove the detector to inspect it further.

But this is only a good idea when you are hunting in fields that MIGHT yield one target an hour. If you were in a field full of targets then this probably wouldn't be a good idea as you would spend too much time putting it back on the cart and taking it off.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a similar idea for the shallow bay water of the Florida Keys where the depth is pretty much the same, back in the 70's when I was a kid. I tied my MD to side of my boat at the stern and soldered on a very long cord for the headphones. I figured I would drive the boat slowly across the bay until I found Treasure! Well, that was the plan. I dont remember finding much treasure. ;D But the idea is good for a place with few targets.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think a 4 wheeled cart is unpracticle :-\
say you hit on something on the fring of the coil detection zone
then you have to pull out the coil
move the cart over/away back up blah blah
maybe a uniwheel as close to the coil as possible
so you would be able to turn pivot and follow a signal
say if it were a peice of copper wire etc
youd be able to follow the contour of the land better
then youd be able to keep the coil to the soil better
like a survey distance wheel something along the lines

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thining about this for a couple of years now, at least I'm not alone with it anymore, just never talked about it.

An Excellent subject!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has to decide at what point this hobby becomes work. Personally I against it.

I thought of attaching a Helium balloon to the coil to hold it up so I could just swing it back an forth, but the D+^# wind kept blowing me around.

Sandman

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sandman said:
I thought of attaching a Helium balloon to the coil to hold it up so I could just swing it back an forth, but the D+^# wind kept blowing me around.

Sandman
;D ;D ;D ;D

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
my thought with the two-wheeler (as i am now going to call it)... was you don't need to remove the coil from the frame. use cable ties, and mount it under the cross bar/axle. that should keep it just over the ground surface. no need to remove it from the two-wheeler. when you go to "x" the target to pinpoint, just turn the handle 90 degrees and "drive" the machine perpendicular to your original line. that and a pinpointer and you'll be in business. shouldn't me that hard to do. and the whole contraption will probably weigh about as much as the detector, shaft and coil assembly anyway... maybe just a little bit more

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think you will actually cover much less ground with a pushable MD. The reason we swing left and right is to cover more ground. The only improvment I can see would come from mounting on a motorized vehicle.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spez401 said:
my thought with the two-wheeler (as i am now going to call it)... was you don't need to remove the coil from the frame. use cable ties, and mount it under the cross bar/axle. that should keep it just over the ground surface. no need to remove it from the two-wheeler. when you go to "x" the target to pinpoint, just turn the handle 90 degrees and "drive" the machine perpendicular to your original line. that and a pinpointer and you'll be in business. shouldn't me that hard to do. and the whole contraption will probably weigh about as much as the detector, shaft and coil assembly anyway... maybe just a little bit more
good points

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I think you will actually cover much less ground with a pushable MD. The reason we swing left and right is to cover more ground. The only improvment I can see would come from mounting on a motorized vehicle.

But you are also moving a lot more slowly.

But the thought of this was to save your arm from swining 2 or 3 hours without getting a signal to dig. The pushable detector idea leaves your arm/shoulder with a lot less stress. Of course this only really applies when you are using a heavy machine like an explorer with a big 15" or 18" coil. If you are swinging a whites then it might not be so bad.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Oh. I gottcha. Make it motorized on an ATC and you could also save a lotta walking. ;D ...but more expensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread