Quartz with small inclusions ?

Amateur-Hunter-2021

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2021
Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Here I have a few photos interesting me at the moment. They show a small find I had on a walk on a mountain during the summer.

001a.jpg 002a.jpg 003a.jpg

The main rock is quartz and it has some small inclusions which appear to show a dark red colour , though it's difficult to see. The dark parts number approximately 10 and are only at their biggest 2 x 2 mm. they seem to merge sometimes and look like overlapping squares but corners could be at an angle and hidden. The inclusions seem to occur at where there was another rock and maybe it was eroded away. I thought maybe I am looking at small garnets. Any thoughts ? And it was found in Ireland. Thank You.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like milky Quartz, but the included minerals are interesting, can you try a streak test on them? Garnets are a good possibility.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Amateur-Hunter-2021

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2021
Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like milky Quartz, but the included minerals are interesting, can you try a streak test on them? Garnets are a good possibility.

Thanks for the observations and opinion. I've never done a streak test, hence I am an amateur rock hunter, but I'll try to do it and come back later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Amateur-Hunter-2021

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2021
Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every rock tells a story

Does every rock need its' story to be told ? Will we do it ?

can you try a streak test on them?
Streak Test Image.jpg

I found a reference that said to make a streak test with unglazed ceramic. Well, I haven't got a piece of something that I can confirm is unglazed ceramic. So, I took a beach pebble made of quartz and scratched an inclusion onto it. Please see the image! I hope quartz is valid for a streak test in its' own right.

I see what you see. The photo is in dull cloudy external conditions, and when I look at the powder that was made, it looks to the eye a good likeness to the image.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread