justjb

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
upstate south carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i've seen on a recent post someone said to know or learn your areas rules about metal detecting (where is it ok) rather than asking if it's ok and getting a negative from someone. as an example, do i just need to go to a state parks website and see if there's any info on whether they allow md'ing? i know, of course, what to do with private property. i'm just wondering about like parks where there's public fishing or picnicing areas. any help would be greatly appreciated.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know the laws in your area but here in Tennessee the parks and schools are public and you can hunt them anytime you want without getting permission. Now the state and national parks are off limits. Also it is very easy to research them online. I have found a lot of parks and schools from the 1800's and have done very well hunting them. I might suggest going down to the state forums near the bottom of Tnet and post your question on there in your state. Also you can check with the local clubs in your area too. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

i've seen on a recent post someone said to know or learn your areas rules about metal detecting (where is it ok) rather than asking if it's ok and getting a negative from someone. as an example, do i just need to go to a state parks website and see if there's any info on whether they allow md'ing? i know, of course, what to do with private property. i'm just wondering about like parks where there's public fishing or picnicing areas. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justjb, you're right, that it's better to look things up for oneself, rather than think you have to go ask a park or city person for "permission". It's as you say: because otherwise, you're just putting yourself at the whims of someone's mood, whim, and what they *think* applies to your question (when in fact, perhaps they've never have cared or noticed md'rs). So you ask if you therefore should go to the park's website to

"....see if there's any info on whether they allow md'ing"

Well for starters, we're not looking to see if a place "allows md'ing". But rather, you're looking to see if there's any PROHIBITIONS on md'ing. Because, no ... there's rarely ever any place that will have any specific "allowance" of md'ing. No-more-so than you would think there might be an "allowance" to fly frisbees, skip stones on the pond, etc.... So you need not confirm if your activity is "allowed", but rather, if there are prohibitions. If there's nothing specifically saying "no metal detecting", then presto, it must not be dis-allowed.

If you find a listing the city's muni codes, laws, charter, etc... on their website, then sure, there you go. And sometimes there's a subsection just for their park's dept. rules as well, so you can compare both city and park over-lap. If your city or county is too small to have a website with that, or it's not detailed enough to have the muni-laws and codes, then here's another way: All incorporated cities, and all counties HAVE to make their laws available, for public viewing ... SOMEWHERE. Eg.: in binder form at city or county hall front desk, etc.....

Some people have suggested that a possible way to avert this research (if they didn't have the detailed webiste with laws and key-word search, etc...), is to "ask", but "ask" in the following carefully worded way: Rather than go in and ask "can I metal detect" (or something that's sounding like you're asking permission), you would ask in this way instead: "Is there anything in city or park rules saying anything about metal detectors?". In THAT way, you would THINK it puts the burden of proof on them , to produce and cite an actual rule. Rather than just saying "no you can't". However, I have heard of persons trying that carefuly worded way, but still having it mess up. You know, like the desk clerk says "we would prefer you didn't" (as if you'd just asked their permission), or "no you can't" (because they perceive holes, even though you NEVER mentioned digging. It's just some people connotation) etc.... And when the poor md'r suspects/realizes he's just been given someone's arbitrary opinion, he follows it up by saying "Ok, where is that written?" (thinking that when they can't cite something specific, that .... of course .... they'll have to back off). But it rarely ever works like that. The challenged desk clerk can start to morph other things they think applies. Aterations, vandalism, cultural heritage, lost & found laws, disturbing earthworms, anti-harvesting and collecting verbage, etc.... And it goes downhill from there. And the sad thing is, a lot of the times the person you're asking, might never have cared or thought about it prior to the "pressing question".

Of course, the absence of specific prohibitions doesn't mean that busy-bodies or lookie-lous won't or can't gripe. I mean, you still need to be discreet enough to avoid "obvious historic monuments" or go waltzing through the middle of archie conventions waltzing over beach blankets, etc.... I mean, a little common sense is in order here.

OP
OP
J

justjb

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
upstate south carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tom and t-hound, thanks so much for your replies. you've given me a ton to go on. y'all rock!!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two State Parks with in 15 miles of me, I am in in the middle. One allows Metal Detecting in the whole park and beach, the other has designated areas to use. Both have web sites, explaining what activities are allowed, you usually dont need to talk to anybody

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions