Question reguarding Beach Hunter 300 vs Surf PI

JardiniMagic

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3i, Ace 250
I am asking this question here as I asked this question on the white's forum in the talk to whites area and for some reason it got removed? I do not understand why but maybe some one here could help me. I live in AZ and going to move somewhere back south-southeast not sure where could be Ky,Fla,NC,In just haven't made my mind up yet. I have a MXT-Pro, V3i but want a waterproof metal detector for a beach area or to surf detect. after reading most reviews on these kinds of detectors narrowed it down to the White's Surf PI or Beach Hunter 300. I asked the White's dealer up here and was told not to get the Beach Hunter as it has problems with the discriminating mode and that most people who buy them end up returning them to his store and he has to send it back to whites. But buy the surf pro pi as it is much easier to use with a lot less problems. I know the differences between the 2 detectors regarding the Vlf vs PI but had thought that I would not be scuba diving but being in the surf and on the beach the Beach hunter might have been ideal with the discriminating no I am not sure of which to buy? anyone experiencing these problems? or would maybe a Minelab Excalibur be a better solution? any help would be appreaciated-Gary.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your smart you dont do any discriminating on the beaches. Gold comes in all ranges because of the base metals used to make them unless its pure gold and how it is laying in the ground. You use descrimination your going to be missing gold targets...

Its your choice on the type, PI Vs VLF, but dont base your decission on discrimination if you do your making a mistake............... Personally I would get a Minelab Excal or if not going in the water a Sov GT, then your not digging an tiny pieces of iron half way to china since it will null out on iron.. just make sure when it nulls that you do a 2nd sweep from a different direction, Miinelabs will tell you when gold is buried with iron, the others want, but you have to resweep from a different direction.....

OP
OP
JardiniMagic

JardiniMagic

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3i, Ace 250
Thanks for the info I am starting to lean towards the excal II even though I have always been a white's man- Gary

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I cant comment on other brands but I tested the beachunter and bought the PI. I have been pretty staisfied with it. I only work wet sand out to waist deep.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In fresh water I love my Beach hunter 300. I dig all the yellow and green lights and find lots of gold. The surf PI is good and deep in the saltwater but it is not fun to dig a bobbypin at 18 inches in the fresh water! I have never had a problem in the discriminating mode in Michigan. Maybe something is up in Arizona with the mineralization?

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also get yourself a good scoop. I enjoy using my Sunspot Stealth scoop. They make a 6.5 inch and a 8 inch wide scoop. Stainless steel and very well built. About $ 200.00 but worth every penny. There is a new model called the "720" but it sells out fast.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it would depend on the type of sands that you wish to hunt in. If the sands have a low mineral content then a Vlf maybe fine.
Over here the mineralization of the beaches drive my single vlf's nuts.!!! So I would grab a P.I. or at least a multi frequency machine every time for a beach.
I only have a little Tesero Sand shark. Its one of the cheapest P.I.'s around and it does very well, with only a little chatter in the more extremely mineral rich areas.
So any more sophisticated/expensive machines should really dominate. Good luck out there.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are planning on hunting a saltwater location, completely forget the 300. Get a PI or get the Excal.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Gary, with some experience at beach and reading book by Clive Clynick; I found that the sea hunter gets alot of interference with moving current (waves). I am going to get the surf pi cause of the ability to do more fine tuning for waist deep water. I'm also getting minelab excal for another method at the beach. Have fun!
Dan

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Absolutely LOVE my Surf PI.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Our club President has both and now only uses the 300. Says he digs bobby pins at a foot deep with the PI, not with the BH300. He is actually selling the PI now.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our club President has both and now only uses the 300. Says he digs bobby pins at a foot deep with the PI, not with the BH300. He is actually selling the PI now.

Make sure you qualify that statement with the environment he hunts in.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 300 is a fine machine but it wont handle heavy black sand well here in Ca.I dont know about the black in your area but you may want to look into it with another 300 user or your local MD club.............your post on Whites site is still there, they moved it to the water detector section

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread