artemis moon
Hero Member
- Joined
- Jun 1, 2007
- Messages
- 874
- Reaction score
- 149
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Near Bangor, Maine
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Safari
ProPointer
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
I've been curious about electrolysis, and the systems don't seem to difficult to fabricate. I am wondering about what types of materials and under what conditions it would be appropriate to use this cleaning method.
For instance, I have a few Indian Head pennies that are green and I can't make out the dates, but only some details that confirm that they are indeed IHPs. Would using electrolysis be a good idea, or would it further damage the copper?
I also have what I think is a girl scout pocket knife from the late 40's. The blades are very crusty. Would electrolysis be a good idea with this piece, or do you think it would damage the plastic?
Can someone give a quick run down on when electrolysis is a good idea and for what types of metals, and when it's not?? Thanks!!
For instance, I have a few Indian Head pennies that are green and I can't make out the dates, but only some details that confirm that they are indeed IHPs. Would using electrolysis be a good idea, or would it further damage the copper?
I also have what I think is a girl scout pocket knife from the late 40's. The blades are very crusty. Would electrolysis be a good idea with this piece, or do you think it would damage the plastic?
Can someone give a quick run down on when electrolysis is a good idea and for what types of metals, and when it's not?? Thanks!!
though pretty well toasted before running them. Next ones with bad corrosion will get patient olive oil treatment. Green overall patina would be welcome but i,m not finding them that way.







