What's new

Rare silver knee buckle, Updated with cleaner Pics.

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back and hit the field I have been diggin the last few days. It was a slow night tonight. But I did manage this Buckle that I thought was a brooch til I got it home. This is probably the best buckle I have ever dug. All in all Im happy with tonights digs. Also posted it in the what is it forum, to try an find out exactly how old it is. :thumbsup:


Heres a couple new pics of the buckle cleaned up a little better. This thing is a bear to clean. Been usuing a toothpic. That rust comes off hard.
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,250
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,237
  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,177
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,177
  • new1.webp
    new1.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,621
  • new2.webp
    new2.webp
    119.6 KB · Views: 4,622
Upvote 0
Th3rty7 said:
Very nice piece of history mainer...excellent find. Congratulations!

Thanks bud. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

pronghorn said:
BobinSouthVA said:
wow fantastic find, what a beauty.

stupid question, what is a knee buckle?
I try to google it and get a bunch of links about buckleing knees :tongue3:

Edit: Oh and Banner vote all the way

Bob, I had no idea what a knee buckle was either so did
some searches. Found this image with caption while
doing a image search of..
... colonial mens wardrobe, knee buckles...
on google.


​

A Gentleman of Connecticut: This portrait, by Ralph Earl,
signed and dated 1799, shows how jewelry, coat and
vest buttons and knee buckles, was used as ornaments
to the costume.

I don't know why some questions get totally ignored
here, I had never heard of a knee buckle before,
except from my doctor.

Awesome

Thanks Pronghorn
 
I told you it would come !! Mainer on the BANNER !! well deserved and over due !! Congrads MaineRelic.
 
Thanks again MaineRelic. Was one of my goals for 2010, glad I was able to accomplish it.
 
Hi There-

Congratulations!!!

Just thinking of how it got there.

Looks like a very easy thing to lose from the picture of the guy sitting wearing one.

As you say you found it on a slope, perhaps the extra pressure on it as the owner either climbed or desended the
hill popped it off, especially if he hadnt clasped it properly! Or slipped altogether! Also looks very easy to snag if you were walking thru any kind of bushes.

Best of luck with it!!!

Rory
 
Great find.

If you research the hallmark you may be able to date the piece.
 
Wonderful piece of history and art , congrats mainer on your beautiful find and making the banner, well deserved...
 
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats on the great find. :headbang:
 
Thanks again for all the nice comments. :icon_thumleft:
 
treashunt said:
Great find.

If you research the hallmark you may be able to date the piece.

We did, the hallmark has an 'English' Lion which does not give a date (just country of origin), and only tell us that it is of a sterling silver standard. The fact that it has no assayers' mark or date letter is a good indicator that its early, then all you have to go on is style/type.
 
that is OUTSTANDING!!!!

Congrats on a fantastic find!
 
Mainer...that's one sweet buckle!!! Nicely done!!!!
 
Wow that is awesome, congrats on a great find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom