What's new

Rare silver knee buckle, Updated with cleaner Pics.

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back and hit the field I have been diggin the last few days. It was a slow night tonight. But I did manage this Buckle that I thought was a brooch til I got it home. This is probably the best buckle I have ever dug. All in all Im happy with tonights digs. Also posted it in the what is it forum, to try an find out exactly how old it is. :thumbsup:


Heres a couple new pics of the buckle cleaned up a little better. This thing is a bear to clean. Been usuing a toothpic. That rust comes off hard.
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,250
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,237
  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,177
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,177
  • new1.webp
    new1.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,621
  • new2.webp
    new2.webp
    119.6 KB · Views: 4,622
Upvote 0
very very nice :o :o :o MR TUFF
 
Congratulations on a super-duper Colonial knee buckle and :thumbsup: for making the banner! Great find, Breezie
 
Very exquisite thing :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:. Lion passant guardant looks good on it. Congrats on the banner.
 
First British Colonial Buckle on the BANNER :hello2:
 
Wow !! Breathtaking buckle! Love it man, keep it up!! I have only found one with flowers on it.Wish it was silver.
 

Attachments

  • Nov26$03bucflower.webp
    Nov26$03bucflower.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,561
  • Nov26$03bucflower.webp
    Nov26$03bucflower.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,554
Thank you guys all so much. Never would have made it up there without all you guys. :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

mainer said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Smells like Banner to me, can't wait till someone tracks down info on the hallmark.
Now go and find the matching pair!
Carl

I think the odds of finding the other one are worse then winning the lottery. But you can bet I will try. ;D

Beautiful find. Congrats! I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of finding the other one. It could happen. I found both halves of a rev war neck stock clasp and certainly never expected to. Good luck!
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

ColonialDude said:
mainer said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Smells like Banner to me, can't wait till someone tracks down info on the hallmark.
Now go and find the matching pair!
Carl

I think the odds of finding the other one are worse then winning the lottery. But you can bet I will try. ;D

Beautiful find. Congrats! I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of finding the other one. It could happen. I found both halves of a rev war neck stock clasp and certainly never expected to. Good luck!

Its possible, but different from a stock clasp which joined together. What you would need to happen is have them break off each knee or shoe at the same time, that is pretty unlikely.
 
Oh I totaly agree, I dont believe the other one will ever be found. But strange things happen, although that would be like hitting the jackpot.
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

CRUSADER said:
Its possible, but different from a stock clasp which joined together. What you would need to happen is have them break off each knee or shoe at the same time, that is pretty unlikely.

No necessarily true. The neck stock clasp was not found together. It was found in a trash pit. Many people (including myself previously) believe that the vast majority of things we find are "lost" items with the thinking that items were very hard to come by and people were very resourceful and re-used and cherished everything from buttons to thimbles and buckles. I have discovered over many hunts that a large percentage of my finds were simply discarded in the trash. You would think with an item like a silver buckle there is no way they would toss it, but the neck stock clasp I found was tossed out, and it was not an issued item. An officer had it made for his own personal use.

Items were buried and hidden away in caches etc, and this silver buckle could have been put there in such a scenario. The land changes a lot over a couple hundred years, and caches get moved around easily.

My point is, yeah, you very well may never find the other one and I would lean towards that being the case...but there is a chance you will.
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

BobinSouthVA said:
wow fantastic find, what a beauty.

stupid question, what is a knee buckle?
I try to google it and get a bunch of links about buckleing knees :tongue3:

Edit: Oh and Banner vote all the way

Bob, I had no idea what a knee buckle was either so did
some searches. Found this image with caption while
doing a image search of..
... colonial mens wardrobe, knee buckles...
on google.

````gentlemanofconn.webp​

A Gentleman of Connecticut: This portrait, by Ralph Earl,
signed and dated 1799, shows how jewelry, coat and
vest buttons and knee buckles, was used as ornaments
to the costume.

I don't know why some questions get totally ignored
here, I had never heard of a knee buckle before,
except from my doctor.
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

ColonialDude said:
CRUSADER said:
Its possible, but different from a stock clasp which joined together. What you would need to happen is have them break off each knee or shoe at the same time, that is pretty unlikely.

No necessarily true. The neck stock clasp was not found together. It was found in a trash pit. Many people (including myself previously) believe that the vast majority of things we find are "lost" items with the thinking that items were very hard to come by and people were very resourceful and re-used and cherished everything from buttons to thimbles and buckles. I have discovered over many hunts that a large percentage of my finds were simply discarded in the trash. You would think with an item like a silver buckle there is no way they would toss it, but the neck stock clasp I found was tossed out, and it was not an issued item. An officer had it made for his own personal use.

Items were buried and hidden away in caches etc, and this silver buckle could have been put there in such a scenario. The land changes a lot over a couple hundred years, and caches get moved around easily.

My point is, yeah, you very well may never find the other one and I would lean towards that being the case...but there is a chance you will.

You are correct about many items that we find having been thrown out. But people just didn't throw out silver. I too have found military buckles of all sorts that were discarded--even both pieces of two-piece military buckles (which means that the whole belt was tossed out) along with almost all of the uniform buttons (which means that the whole coat was thrown out).

But I strongly disagree with the notion that folks tossed out items made of silver. It would be like tossing out several two reales coins just for the heck of it! (And this was in a day and age when metal traded and circulated freely because of their value, whether or not they were neatly struck into circular discs issued by a government). Trade silver, "sharp shins" and other cut silver, cut coppers, and other trade items are all cases in point.


I am VERY pleased that such a great item made the banner.


Regards,



Buckles
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

BuckleBoy said:
ColonialDude said:
CRUSADER said:
Its possible, but different from a stock clasp which joined together. What you would need to happen is have them break off each knee or shoe at the same time, that is pretty unlikely.

No necessarily true. The neck stock clasp was not found together. It was found in a trash pit. Many people (including myself previously) believe that the vast majority of things we find are "lost" items with the thinking that items were very hard to come by and people were very resourceful and re-used and cherished everything from buttons to thimbles and buckles. I have discovered over many hunts that a large percentage of my finds were simply discarded in the trash. You would think with an item like a silver buckle there is no way they would toss it, but the neck stock clasp I found was tossed out, and it was not an issued item. An officer had it made for his own personal use.

Items were buried and hidden away in caches etc, and this silver buckle could have been put there in such a scenario. The land changes a lot over a couple hundred years, and caches get moved around easily.

My point is, yeah, you very well may never find the other one and I would lean towards that being the case...but there is a chance you will.

You are correct about many items that we find having been thrown out. But people just didn't throw out silver. I too have found military buckles of all sorts that were discarded--even both pieces of two-piece military buckles (which means that the whole belt was tossed out) along with almost all of the uniform buttons (which means that the whole coat was thrown out).

But I strongly disagree with the notion that folks tossed out items made of silver. It would be like tossing out several two reales coins just for the heck of it! (And this was in a day and age when metal traded and circulated freely because of their value, whether or not they were neatly struck into circular discs issued by a government). Trade silver, "sharp shins" and other cut silver, cut coppers, and other trade items are all cases in point.

I am VERY pleased that such a great item made the banner.

Regards,

Buckles
I understood years ago that most of my finds were dumped on the field & not lost. That being said, I agree with BB. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

BuckleBoy said:
ColonialDude said:
CRUSADER said:
Its possible, but different from a stock clasp which joined together. What you would need to happen is have them break off each knee or shoe at the same time, that is pretty unlikely.

No necessarily true. The neck stock clasp was not found together. It was found in a trash pit. Many people (including myself previously) believe that the vast majority of things we find are "lost" items with the thinking that items were very hard to come by and people were very resourceful and re-used and cherished everything from buttons to thimbles and buckles. I have discovered over many hunts that a large percentage of my finds were simply discarded in the trash. You would think with an item like a silver buckle there is no way they would toss it, but the neck stock clasp I found was tossed out, and it was not an issued item. An officer had it made for his own personal use.

Items were buried and hidden away in caches etc, and this silver buckle could have been put there in such a scenario. The land changes a lot over a couple hundred years, and caches get moved around easily.

My point is, yeah, you very well may never find the other one and I would lean towards that being the case...but there is a chance you will.

You are correct about many items that we find having been thrown out. But people just didn't throw out silver. I too have found military buckles of all sorts that were discarded--even both pieces of two-piece military buckles (which means that the whole belt was tossed out) along with almost all of the uniform buttons (which means that the whole coat was thrown out).

But I strongly disagree with the notion that folks tossed out items made of silver. It would be like tossing out several two reales coins just for the heck of it! (And this was in a day and age when metal traded and circulated freely because of their value, whether or not they were neatly struck into circular discs issued by a government). Trade silver, "sharp shins" and other cut silver, cut coppers, and other trade items are all cases in point.


I am VERY pleased that such a great item made the banner.


Regards,



Buckles


Must have been a Hunt brother or two back then. ;D
 
Jesse, Congrats on the BANNER and a most excellent relic. HH, Quindy.
 
Buckle Boy and Quindy, Thanks for the support. Great to finally be up there. :icon_thumright:
 
Thank you Thrillathehunt. :thumbsup:
 
davesx said:
Hi mainer
Fantastic, very rare in that contition, weldone.
Dave.

Thank you! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom