Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They all look good to me, you can tell by the amount of wear on the back of the buttons. :thumbsup:

As you know, most buttons that have been 'clothing worn' have wear to the face, where the backs often look pristine.
This is why we often find gilt buttons in the ground with gold still intact on the back but with nothing remaining on the face.

It may just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think I can see a backmark on this U.S. collar tab. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• buttons 3-crop.png
    buttons 3-crop.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like th US. The NC buttons mostly were thin stamped brass. Not sure if there was a period cast one. What does the backmark read on the SC? My eyes aren't working right this week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like th US. The NC buttons mostly were thin stamped brass. Not sure if there was a period cast one. What does the backmark read on the SC? My eyes aren't working right this week.

As far as my old eyes can make it out I think it reads "Extra Gold Qual" with what looks like a lion or something like that. My problem with that button is the front is in excellent condition but the back is very worn. I think I will approach them as reproductions and offer him $5.00 each. I am not really interested in the US collar insignia but will buy it to get the others if I have to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The NC 7-pointed "starburst" button at upper left is absolutely a Reproduction. It is solid-cast, not stamped-brass, and none of the Original 7-pointed ones were solid cast.

The other two solid-cast NC starburst buttons in the photo are probably also Reproductions. For 0one thing, you can check their precise diameter with a caliper. The Originals of NC 13 and NC-14 were 22mm.

Compare the ones in the photo (front and back) with the genuine Originals here:
Ridgeway Reference Archive, Civil War buttons

The South Carolina "Palmetto Guards" button appears to be a stamped 2-piece, which is correct for that British-made button. But I've seen some amazing detailed 3-D printed Reproductions of 2-piece buttons that even have the crimp-line on the back. So, when you get to check this group of buttons in real-life, see it the Palmetto Guards is a 2-piece or a solid 1-piece.
Here's a link to front-&-back photos of genuine Original ones:
Ridgeway Civil War Archive Buttons from South Carolina....DRAFT.....
But note, about halfway down that webpage, there are photos of a very well made Reproduction, which has the "weak backmark" we see on the one in the photo you posted. Considering that at least two of the others in the photo are Reproductions, the odds tend to favor the Palmetto Guards button also being a reproduction.

I wonder if the seller, who might be honest but ignorant, has any idea that well-made Reproductions do exist. Please give him the links I included above.... especially the Fake cast Palmetto Guards. There's a lot more at the Ridgeway Relic Archive's "main" section on Fakes, Reproductions, and Replicas:
http://relicman.com/fakes/zfakeAAIndex.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TCG, thanks for the information and links. I don't think the seller knows what he has. I don't think he is trying to deceive me. As reproductions what would they be worth? I am thinking about $5.00 each.

edit: seller just contacted me and said his wife would drop them off for me to examine. I will get measurements then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller had his wife drop these off a few minutes ago. I thought I would post pictures of everything she left before I even start researching them. the South Carolina button weighs 5/8th oz. and is 22.88mm in diameter. The North Carolina buttons are, from left to right in the picture, 1/4oz and 20.95mm with square shank. next one is 1/8th oz. and 21.41mm. Last one weighs 1/8th oz and is 20.95 mm. I haven't looked up any of the other stuff. He said he thought the skull was Nazi related?

Attachments

• buttons 1.JPG
    buttons 1.JPG
    814.9 KB · Views: 68
  • buttons 2.JPG
    buttons 2.JPG
    850.3 KB · Views: 63
  • buttons 3.JPG
    buttons 3.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The badge is a reproduction and the Cathouse token is a fantasy item. Skull and crossbones appears to be biker related or a fantasy item. No ideas yet on the pelican, pin or CSA token.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The skull and crossbones "Totenkopf" is a WW1 version, (search for Braunschweig Totenkopf) but there's something off about the shape of the skull compared to others I remember seeing. I wouldn't trust it to be original given the other items it's in with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took them to a fellow hunter and he had a real SC button to compare this one to. The one in question weighs twice as much and the detail is not as crisp. I am going to write everything off as reproductions or fantasy items. I may offer him $20.00 for the lot. If he takes it I will make a frame of fakes just to show folks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread