RECORD BROKEN! 20th SPANISH of the Year!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Had a great little hunt. Let me tell y'all about it. Started out in the early morning doing some scouting on one of the many properties where we have permission. We got an IH, a Barber Dime, and some other newer relics all of which I gave to the property owner. The stuff we were finding was too new to bother with for now. But he was happy to have the items, and we were happy to find them.

Next stop was a new spot we'd found which unfortunately has a property line going right down the middle of it. We think we may already have permission for the other side, if it's who we think owns it, but not sure--so we'll have to wait until we can sort it out and make certain we can detect.

Immediately Shane dug a Large Cent. Things were starting out great! It was a little muddy until the dew evaporated in the midday heat. We were in for a slow morning though, with only a couple musketballs and flat buttons dug.

Shane got a bone button, and (believe it or not!) a billiard ball. :D

Then it started to get HOT. The heat index pushed 108 as we made it into afternoon. Finally I scored a decent, wobbly signal, took out one deep scoop and saw the flash of SILVER! I was praying for spanish, to make our goal of 20 for the year--and it was! A Carolus IIII half real (180?). Not long after that, there was a pop-up storm and the rain came pouring down, so we headed home.

Here's the short video and photos:

Here's Shane's LC. It is an 1833 I believe. Nice LC coming from the waterlogged soil here. Congrats to Shane!

100_5496.JPG100_5497.JPG

Other good finds for Shane included a Colonial era decorative cufflink and a bone button:

100_5498.JPG100_5500.JPG

Shane and my finds. His is the photo with the billiard ball LOL. The finial at the top left we believe to be colonial era.

100_5505.JPG100_5508.JPGHPIM4290.JPG

My shoe buckle chape and a piece of pewter with the manufacturer's name stamped in. "? ? N & SMITH"

HPIM4294.JPGHPIM4295.JPGHPIM4296.JPG

And Spanish Silver #20 for 2013: an 180? Carolus IIII Half Real :)

HPIM4292.JPGHPIM4293.JPG

Best Wishes and HH,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The Canefield Bandits 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Amazing finds there Buck, considering the difficult hunting conditions with the heat and the wet ground! :thumbsup:
Loved your video too, clear, in focus and your hand only shook a bit when you found the Half Real! :laughing7:

Dave

Last edited:
I still haven't found one this year and now your at 20....Congrats and I can't wait until I see your year end total Spanish...

Your consolation is that gorgeous pistareen in your avatar photo. Seriously a fantastic coin--and un-cut too! One of those is high on my list, even if cut. Those coins have such an interesting history.

Cheers,

Buck

Love the billiard ball, looks ivory to me,Congrats !!!! As far as the spanish silver goes,,,,,well I can dream,right ?

I bet there's a spanish silver in Colorado somewhere. Would be tough, but not impossible. Knowing that they circulated well after the 1850s here, they probably did so throughout the territories, and I would imagine that the only place where they actually disappeared from circulation when they were supposed to was in the Northeastern US.

Hey BuckleBoy!! CONGRATS on your 20'th!! Super Find!! I have finally figured out where you guys are hunting with all that Spanish!! Obviously in the back yard of the JAX Brewery in NO!! He He!! VERDE!!

You're pretty close. Those sidewalk tearouts in the French Quarter can be pretty darned lucrative! :D

Amazing finds there Buck, considering the difficult hunting conditions with the heat and the wet ground! :thumbsup:
Loved your video too, clear, in focus and your hand only shook a bit when you found the Half Real! :laughing7:

Dave

Great to hear from you Dave, and thanks for the reply.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Congrats to the Bandits on #20. Still plenty of time left in the year to make that stack of silver taller. Nice hit on that copper!

Congrats on breaking your record! very nice indeed :), also, where can a person find those black square's with measurements on them like in your photo's, those are really neat, Thanks

I knew you would do it Buck! Now you can relax and just keep adding to your incredible record. But don't find too many or you'll lose all hope for ever topping that figure in the future ..... LOL!

An awesome recovery [ as usual ] LOL, as I have never dug , or even held a authentic Spanish Silver Coin. Heck just finding 1 of the Seated Liberty coins with the "O" mint mark would make it a good year for me , Esp, the 1847 O Quarter ' in the condition you describe & the 1840 O Half in the high grade. The details designation is fine with me. Oh ; and id be still be doing the R.Savage holler after finding a 1850 0 Half dime [ in AG cond, or better.] You folks are having a BANNER YEAR , keep it up tho I"m SOOOOO FULL OF ENVY . For real tho ,thank's for letting us see & good luck in the future .. Davers

Congrats on Spanish #20, I'm sure that total will grow significantly by the end of the year. That chape is early, much older than your other finds, including the cuff link. Looks like it probably came from a knee buckle.

BTW, what did you think of that article I sent you?

Congrats Buckleboy! Really enjoy your posts and especially your videos. Any chance you sharing your research techniques?

Congrats on breaking your record! very nice indeed :), also, where can a person find those black square's with measurements on them like in your photo's, those are really neat, Thanks

I think this one came from amazon.com. They are cheap, only a couple bucks plus shipping. Search "folding magnifier." And you will want to purchase the small one. I tried the big one and it didn't do any better than my macro setting on my camera. :(

I knew you would do it Buck! Now you can relax and just keep adding to your incredible record. But don't find too many or you'll lose all hope for ever topping that figure in the future ..... LOL!

Yeah, I am worried about that...but not very. The pressure is off now, but if we make it to 25 we can celebrate all over again.

Cheers,

Buck

Congrats on Spanish #20, I'm sure that total will grow significantly by the end of the year. That chape is early, much older than your other finds, including the cuff link. Looks like it probably came from a knee buckle.

BTW, what did you think of that article I sent you?

That chape is older than many of the finds we've dug in the area. Had to have been worn for a while before it broke. That's the first chape I've dug down here in LA. I think in general we're dealing with a petite habitants site, pre-big plantation conglomerates. That would explain all the lead and musketballs, and not much in the way of brass or copper except buttons.

The article you sent was great. I think it explains a lot about the persistent circulation of well worn, under-weight spanish silver. I am curious as to how the senate did the survey, and I can only imagine that in the inaccessible areas of Louisiana the old "foreign" coins were pressed into service much longer. This is evidenced by the numbers of dateless ones we are finding. It takes a long time for a coin to become illegible by date AND type. Some of these coins are literally worn smooth silver discs that are the right size for a spanish half real, or ones where we can faintly see the coat of arms in the center of the reverse.

Congrats Buckleboy! Really enjoy your posts and especially your videos. Any chance you sharing your research techniques?

Don't know if I'm prepared to do that. ;) I'd like to be able to make good finds till I'm an old man, and once I let that loose there won't be many sites left for me to dig. All I can say is that book research can only take you so far. Be prepared for boots on the ground time--and a lot of it, including many hours of "not finding much" before you find a good site. I have put in the time. Took me well over a year here before I started finding anything decent in Louisiana. So fall 2010 and all of 2011 were in many ways lost years for me in terms of finds. If you look at my year-end posts you will see that. Lots of finds in KY in 2007, 08, 09, 10, then a lull in which most of what I found that was decent was going to visit friends and not down here in LA. But this time was NOT lost time in terms of research, and boots on the ground. I was at it every week reading, taking notes, getting permissions, scouting.

Now we often divide up our days between scouting and known sites so we can continue to make finds, while finding new spots to dig. That has worked well so far, and has kept us making finds instead of having lulls.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Thanks...had to ask. We've been blessed to stumble on a couple nice sites here in SC and now trying to research areas around them...a lot of scouting and "local knowledge" research, some paying off some not. Still, for this year beginners we've done pretty good. Thanks again for your posts and videos, looking forward to many more to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back