born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
RESEARCHING 1800's MAPS

If you look at the words "HUSTON & LOREDO" you would wonder
where these places are today on a map.
HUSTON is long gone, and LOREDO has been renamed to Laredo,
just like the town of Goliad has been moved from the south side
of the San Antonio River to the North Side onto higher grounds.

Just like Ft. ALAMO is the ALAMO that we know today.
SAN ANTONIO de BEXAR is now SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

Which makes doing research useing old maps a little harder, you
have to read between the lines and use contours to make shure
everything matches up.

S. Texas.JPG

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Re: RESEARCHING 1800's MAPS

Very cool map X-terra. I love to see what it used to look like. Also brings up lots of interesting old info. Have been in many of these areas and don't recall seeing any reference to some of the communities/towns/falls??? Very interesting.

BW

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

Thanks for pointing that out, didn't see it earlier. That what happens when you don't use your reading glasses. Amazing how many towns were abandoned cause the rail lines bypassed it or it flooded several times, steam boat traffic was discontinued, saw mills shut down, etc.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Houston actually had another name B-4 it was named Houston, The name slips me now

Sawdr73

Greenie
May 19, 2009
McNeil, AR
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 1/DB, White's Coinmaster 5000/D, White's Prizm V, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw

X terra_70,
I am curious about the flag and rattlesnake shown in your post. It is very similar to a logo used by our local Army Reserve Unit. They are the Delta Diamondbacks from Magnolia, Arkansas. They have served 2-3 tours in Iraq. I suppose you know that is an Arkansas flag with the diamondback placed on it. I was just suprised to see it used by a Texan. It is ok by me and it does look good. Just though I would ask.
Mickey

Sawdr73

Greenie
May 19, 2009
McNeil, AR
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 1/DB, White's Coinmaster 5000/D, White's Prizm V, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw

After I went to bed I thought about that flag. I had a really bad senior moment when I said the flag was an Arkansas flag. NOT SO. That is a REBEL flag. Sorry for the mistake. Born and raised and still living in Arkansas, I should never have made that mistake. The Arkansas flag is red with a blue diamond with stars in the blue, and a white diamond in the center with Arkansas printed across it.

Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers with my previous post!
Mickey

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

Before it was houston, the name was Harrisburg, from which the harris in Harris county comes from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread