Roman Coin from the United States!?!?!? If so...I am amazed!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - disclaimer first - I hope my reputation speaks for itself. I am a hard hunter and very knowledgeable of relics from the states and also am very honest and never try to pull the wool over the eyes of people. Due to this I was almost not going to post this as I am sure the backlash that it will potentially create.

I went back to the water again this evening to a very remote site that was the location of an early 1600's wharf. There are no roads or homes (no home has been here since the civil war). I paddled to the spot that has yielded early coins and buttons over the past couple of years along with other odds and ends.

While detecting I first dug a couple of early musket balls and then unearthed a nice flat button. A short distance later I dug what I initially thought was a small flat button, then when I saw the bust, immediately thought a freaking Lincoln penny (as it is about the same size though much thinner). After looking at it I realized that the bust was that of a cesar. I then began to think early hammered coin of some sort as the site is of the appropriate age - however after not finding a match I did see a few roman coins that looked similar. Finally I found a basic match Constantin II (Constantinus Cesar 321-324)!!!!!!

The coin looks right, but I am no expert on these things so I hope plenty of our friends from across the pond will chime in on this. I do know of some roman coins and other EARLY foreign coins found at early colonial sites from time to time, though very rare.

I ended the day with a nice early (probably 19th century) brass spigot and pocket knife and other various lead odds and ends. This site also saw some activity from the civil war and I have found a few three ringers there from time to time.

HH

On cloud nine (for now)

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 326
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 517
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 402
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 296
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 22
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Never know,a celtic bronze dagger was found in an native american shell mound,a roman oil lamp was also found in a native american shell mound.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru I was waiting for you to chime in and between your thoughts and the thoughts of a few others I know across the pond - I am now on cloud 9!

The Wreath reverse had a couple of Emporers from the 'Constantine family', this is from the top of my head, its includes Crispus & Constantius II. Better pictures & Dad will ID.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Wreath reverse had a couple of Emporers from the 'Constantine family', this is from the top of my head, its includes Crispus & Constantius II. Better pictures & Dad will ID.

Thanks - will try and take some better ones later today and post.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting find with the Roman looking coin. would be nice to see it all cleaned up

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Although finding roman coins is a common occurrence in the UK, it's extremely rare for an authentic one to show up here in the states. Based on that, I'd say this has to be considered a banner find. My vote is in.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting find with the Roman looking coin. would be nice to see it all cleaned up

It is about as cleaned up as it will get. This was a water find, so there is no dirt or anything attached to it - just simply well worn, discolored, though for over 1,000 years old, not too shabby

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, I hope your coin turns out to be an actual Roman coin that is 1800 years old. I would be tickled for you. It would turn my imagination on full blast thinking of all the possible ways (and there are many) it ended up where you found it. What really catches my eye though is the spigot. That is a beautiful find. Excellent hunting.

clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley-emoticon-000340-large.gif

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I hope your coin turns out to be an actual Roman coin that is 1800 years old. I would be tickled for you. It would turn my imagination on full blast thinking of all the possible ways (and there are many) it ended up where you found it. What really catches my eye though is the spigot. That is a beautiful find. Excellent hunting.

View attachment 1013440

Thanks Beez - it looks to be confirmed to be an actual roman coin!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I'm leaning toward it being an accidental ballast stowaway or a nifty curiosity someone had to take along. Reminds me of the story of an ancient roman figurine head being unearthed in a c. 1500 Aztec burial. It may have been a silly hoax/joke, or may indeed have been brought by the early Spanish explorers and traded/given to the locals. Some suggest that it is evidence of Ancient Roman Trans-Atlantic trade contact but I'm not convinced. Just as one can often find Native American artifacts in 19th century outhouse pits and dumpsites, it makes sense that the more inquisitive types in the past would take an interest in the detritus of ancient eras and distribute the artifacts far beyond their original range.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although finding roman coins is a common occurrence in the UK, it's extremely rare for an authentic one to show up here in the states. Based on that, I'd say this has to be considered a banner find. My vote is in.

People on these forums have found Roman coins in parking lots in the US but being that this was found at an early colonial American site and the thought that an early colonist may have lost it sends tingles down my spine. I just imagine someone loading a ship at a British port before setting sail to Virginia and seeing the coin sticking out of the mud by ship and picking it up. For this, I vote banner......if I can figure out how to do it on my phone.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I'm leaning toward it being an accidental ballast stowaway or a nifty curiosity someone had to take along. Reminds me of the story of an ancient roman figurine head being unearthed in a c. 1500 Aztec burial. It may have been a silly hoax/joke, or may indeed have been brought by the early Spanish explorers and traded/given to the locals. Some suggest that it is evidence of Ancient Roman Trans-Atlantic trade contact but I'm not convinced. Just as one can often find Native American artifacts in 19th century outhouse pits and dumpsites, it makes sense that the more inquisitive types in the past would take an interest in the detritus of ancient eras and distribute the artifacts far beyond their original range.

I agree 100%. I once found native american arrowheads in a civil war hut site, undoubtedly collected by a solider during a lull. This was most likely the same occurrence - though I just love the fact that I found something hundreds of years later that someone felt sick to loose - sort of a nice connection.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People on these forums have found Roman coins in parking lots in the US but being that this was found at an early colonial American site and the thought that an early colonist may have lost it sends tingles down my spine. I just imagine someone loading a ship at a British port before setting sail to Virginia and seeing the coin sticking out of the mud by ship and picking it up. For this, I vote banner......if I can figure out how to do it on my phone.

Thanks Joey - it def will go down as one of, if not my most favorite of finds. Bill already conceded the "oldest coin" contest for the year!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the connection! The Freemasons used ballast from the Themes mud when they brought the Ark of the covenant to the money pit on oak island... Some of this mud along with the coin got on a colonists mucky boots and was transported to your location... :occasion14:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the connection! The Freemasons used ballast from the Themes mud when they brought the Ark of the covenant to the money pit on oak island... Some of this mud along with the coin got on a colonists mucky boots and was transported to your location... :occasion14:

Ha I like the way you think - but you also forgot to include that the bronze was mined from the same as the holy grail ha ha.

I suspect in the end it was just a coin collecting brit from the 1600's mulling over what he would do with this new found freedom and then opps...

uchihadesendent

Jun 22, 2013
Wawa, on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice roman coin find, if I'm correct that is a rare type of coin you got there but it's not in the best condition!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find Dan, makes you wonder how it got there? Maybe plucked from a field in England and later carried to America by an early Virginia settler?

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Dan. I want so bad to get in the water. Might have to get with Beau and do some wading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread