Roman Coin from the United States!?!?!? If so...I am amazed!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - disclaimer first - I hope my reputation speaks for itself. I am a hard hunter and very knowledgeable of relics from the states and also am very honest and never try to pull the wool over the eyes of people. Due to this I was almost not going to post this as I am sure the backlash that it will potentially create.

I went back to the water again this evening to a very remote site that was the location of an early 1600's wharf. There are no roads or homes (no home has been here since the civil war). I paddled to the spot that has yielded early coins and buttons over the past couple of years along with other odds and ends.

While detecting I first dug a couple of early musket balls and then unearthed a nice flat button. A short distance later I dug what I initially thought was a small flat button, then when I saw the bust, immediately thought a freaking Lincoln penny (as it is about the same size though much thinner). After looking at it I realized that the bust was that of a cesar. I then began to think early hammered coin of some sort as the site is of the appropriate age - however after not finding a match I did see a few roman coins that looked similar. Finally I found a basic match Constantin II (Constantinus Cesar 321-324)!!!!!!

The coin looks right, but I am no expert on these things so I hope plenty of our friends from across the pond will chime in on this. I do know of some roman coins and other EARLY foreign coins found at early colonial sites from time to time, though very rare.

I ended the day with a nice early (probably 19th century) brass spigot and pocket knife and other various lead odds and ends. This site also saw some activity from the civil war and I have found a few three ringers there from time to time.

HH

On cloud nine (for now)

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 326
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 517
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 402
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 296
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 22

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat find Dan, makes you wonder how it got there? Maybe plucked from a field in England and later carried to America by an early Virginia settler?
I think folks are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Coin collecting has been around since ancient times. The following article gives this statement: "It was in the 14th century that modern day appreciation and collection of coins began and an active coin market developed".

History of Coin Collecting

http://www.coinspot.org/history.html

I think the coin is just a keepsake / collection item from a colonist. Coin dealing was a profession way back when...

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think folks are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Coin collecting has been around since ancient times. The following article gives this statement: "It was in the 14th century that modern day appreciation and collection of coins began and an active coin market developed".

I think the coin is just a keepsake / collection item from a colonist. Coin dealing was a profession way back when...

I was going to say the same. To keep it on theme, the Romans collected Greek coins.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks - I agree 100%. I have said from the beginning that I believe this to be a keepsake or part of a collection lost during our country's colonial times.

Great article - you have to excuse us Americans - our idea of coin collecting begins much later than yours (Cru)he he he.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you do that? Here I am hoping to find an IH or LC! And what do you come up with?? !!!
All I can say is...BANNER !!!!!!
It took me almost as long to vote banner as your coin is old!
I don't know if it's my iPad or the site, takes a few minutes for the screens to switch, or maybe you have to vote slowly for a coin that old! :laughing7:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Awesome and historic find Dan, Going to be hard to ever find an older one. Nice work.
-Evan

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru finds 10 of these scrappies every time he goes out....He doesn't even post them half the time:)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What's so complicated? Let me amend my statement slightly "Maybe plucked from a field in England and later carried to America by an early Virginia settler as a keepsake?" How's that?

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the Vikings made some explorations to North America, those were apparently confined to the Maritimes and possibly New England so I don't believe they were ever in the Chesapeake Bay or its tributaries. And obviously the Romans were never here either. So your coin, if authentic, had to be a keepsake that was lost by a colonist who brought it from England sometime in the 17 or 18th century. That's the only theory that makes any sense. Hope you can somehow prove the coin is legit. Still waiting on the UK'ers to chime in. Are you going to attempt any further cleaning? Love that complete spigot too, and I agree with you that's it's post-colonial.

While I agree that this is most likely a colonial drop, I would point out that there is limited evidence that the Vikings made explorations far into the interior of North America, it was settlement/outposts that were limited to the NE US/Maritimes. I know of very little that suggests the Romans ever made it to North America, but I would say that calling it obvious is a overstatement. So I'll agree with your conclusion, but not quite how you get there. Agree on the spigot too, that's the first thing in the pics that jumped out at me.:thumbsup:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What's so complicated? Let me amend my statement slightly "Maybe plucked from a field in England and later carried to America by an early Virginia settler as a keepsake?" How's that?

Steve, lol, I was actually just adding to your comment with a link to a rational reason for the roman coin being here in the states. Some folks have been posting as if the romans may have been here on the east coast. Sorry bro, I have never been a great communicator and your post is pretty much the same thing I believe. GW

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we find plenty of cut silver that I know Cru wants to find more of he he

We all over here like to get a spanish piece or a cob... it took me over 20 years to get one 1/2 Reale over here and a cob will never happen! Cut or not! :occasion14:

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! What a piece of history to find! Congrats on all the pieces and you have my vote for banner! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work and HH!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a piece of history to find! Congrats on all the pieces and you have my vote for banner! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work and HH!

Thanks guys - will see if it makes it. I can say I have dug plenty of good stuff over the years - this is one I might never match again.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan regardless of how that baby got here and ended up in your hands it is an incredible find and if anyone is deserving of such a find you would be one of those people. We know you have a great appreciation, respect and passion for great pieces of history and you will be an awesome caretaker for such an amazing find. Big congrats bud. Happy for ya man, Abe

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twice lost twice found. Every couple of hundred years someone seems to discover that coin. That is an amazing find. What a journey. Nice recovery.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, that's one crazy find right there. However when you take the time to ponder this you think that the early settlers that worked the ground back in England did so by hand and therefor would have ample opportunity to find such treasures and no doubt this is the story here. One fantastic find for this side of the pond and most definitely Banner worthy.
ZDD

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, lol, I was actually just adding to your comment with a link to a rational reason for the roman coin being here in the states. Some folks have been posting as if the romans may have been here on the east coast. Sorry bro, I have never been a great communicator and your post is pretty much the same thing I believe. GW

Sorry, I misinterpreted you post Gary. We're cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread