Roman Coin from the United States!?!?!? If so...I am amazed!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - disclaimer first - I hope my reputation speaks for itself. I am a hard hunter and very knowledgeable of relics from the states and also am very honest and never try to pull the wool over the eyes of people. Due to this I was almost not going to post this as I am sure the backlash that it will potentially create.

I went back to the water again this evening to a very remote site that was the location of an early 1600's wharf. There are no roads or homes (no home has been here since the civil war). I paddled to the spot that has yielded early coins and buttons over the past couple of years along with other odds and ends.

While detecting I first dug a couple of early musket balls and then unearthed a nice flat button. A short distance later I dug what I initially thought was a small flat button, then when I saw the bust, immediately thought a freaking Lincoln penny (as it is about the same size though much thinner). After looking at it I realized that the bust was that of a cesar. I then began to think early hammered coin of some sort as the site is of the appropriate age - however after not finding a match I did see a few roman coins that looked similar. Finally I found a basic match Constantin II (Constantinus Cesar 321-324)!!!!!!

The coin looks right, but I am no expert on these things so I hope plenty of our friends from across the pond will chime in on this. I do know of some roman coins and other EARLY foreign coins found at early colonial sites from time to time, though very rare.

I ended the day with a nice early (probably 19th century) brass spigot and pocket knife and other various lead odds and ends. This site also saw some activity from the civil war and I have found a few three ringers there from time to time.

HH

On cloud nine (for now)

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 516
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 401
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 295
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 22

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not trying to put a damper on your find - a Roman coin is a great find no matter where it is - but even if it's genuine, it doesn't mean it was dropped here by a Roman. The Roman Empire existed from 27 BCE through 1453 in one form or another. It could have been dropped later than you think.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - I'm pulling for you that your coin is indeed authentic. It's a very rare find in the US, but I have heard of a few being dug before. How awesome would it be to recover a coin that's more than 1200 years older than your 1500s hammered!! Guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to get input from the UK experts as those boys are snoozing now. I'll check back tomorrow. Good luck and great find!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is crazy! Here's a quote from a coin forum "Roman coins have been found in British shipwrecks off of Bermuda, they were carried in Thames river mud that was used as ballast for ships."

That spigot looks brand new! I've got to get that water hunting thing down!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's possible that a Viking explorer could have had it with him and dropped it in the 10th or 11th century (it would only be 700
years old at that time ! ) or it had been collected and lost by a much more modern immigrant - a more plausible scenario i confess .

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to put a damper on your find - a Roman coin is a great find no matter where it is - but even if it's genuine, it doesn't mean it was dropped here by a Roman. The Roman Empire existed from 27 BCE through 1453 in one form or another. It could have been dropped later than you think.

I don't think Dan was thinking that Romans sailed to America. It's just cool think that some early colonist may have had it as a keepsake.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wharves equal travel, and coins sure travel. Congrats on your excitement and I,m hoping it is what your thinking ..:hello2:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I took two Roman coins(purchased at a shop near the British Museum in London) to a coin dealer here in San Antonio. They told me their value, I put them in my pocket and left. Later I was no a ridge overlokking a valley near their store. I reached to get some Kleenex out of the pocket with the two coins and one of them went flying off the ridge. I let it stay there. Someday it may be found and I wonder how it will be explained...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking there must be a Masonic connection... :laughing7:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep waiting for someone to find the six Roman Coins I dropped along Tule Wash near Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

Mike

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Design looks familar for sure, crowned bust on front, wreath on obverse. It needs some cleaning to get more details. Cool find! Like the barrel tap too!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh I agree 100%...as I even eluded in my post I know some have been found at colonial sites in the US - my assumption would be that it would have to be left behind by someone who once shared an appreciation of history like ourselves, just at an earlier time.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is crazy! Here's a quote from a coin forum "Roman coins have been found in British shipwrecks off of Bermuda, they were carried in Thames river mud that was used as ballast for ships."

That spigot looks brand new! I've got to get that water hunting thing down!

Joey that is an awesome quote! We shall see what the result is...this was the site of an early wharf.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Design looks familar for sure, crowned bust on front, wreath on obverse. It needs some cleaning to get more details. Cool find! Like the barrel tap too!

Don't know how much more I can clean it as it was a water find... it is just very worn plus discolored from the water. COIN

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Although the Vikings made some explorations to North America, those were apparently confined to the Maritimes and possibly New England so I don't believe they were ever in the Chesapeake Bay or its tributaries. And obviously the Romans were never here either. So your coin, if authentic, had to be a keepsake that was lost by a colonist who brought it from England sometime in the 17 or 18th century. That's the only theory that makes any sense. Hope you can somehow prove the coin is legit. Still waiting on the UK'ers to chime in. Are you going to attempt any further cleaning? Love that complete spigot too, and I agree with you that's it's post-colonial.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the Vikings made some explorations to North America, those were apparently confined to the Maritimes and possibly New England so I don't believe they were ever in the Chesapeake Bay or its tributaries. And obviously the Romans were never here either. So your coin, if authentic, had to be a keepsake that was lost by a colonist who brought it from England sometime in the 17 or 18th century. That's the only theory that makes any sense. Hope you can somehow prove the coin is legit. Still waiting on the UK'ers to chime in. Are you going to attempt any further cleaning? Love that complete spigot too, and I agree with you that's it's post-colonial.

Yea I agree 100%. I checked my FB responses and private messages this morning - my friends across the pond all say it looks good so far, though they would need to see it in person. The modern common repros have distinct giveaways that this one so far does not

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Hey i found 2 over here on the Nanticoke river in Maryland on the same site. I believe they are from the colonial area and either keepsakes or collectibles. coin collecting is nothing new.

It looks to be constantine dynasty maybe. Constantine II or Constantius, Constantius Gallus...

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find dan , I assume like yourself it may be a colonial drop, although there have been multiple OPA 's ( out of place artifacts) located on the east coast , amphora in Boston harbor , Norse coin found in 12th C Midden mound .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread