What's new

Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.
 

Attachments

  • plate.webp
    plate.webp
    113 KB · Views: 7,194
Upvote 0
Re: Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate

Buttons.. there's a good idea! I didn't think of that. A quick search produced no results, but it is another avenue to explore. Thanks for the tip. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Nope... nothing round here begining with M apart from Milton Keynes which is where I'm from. It's a city now, but even as recently as 30 years ago it was just a tiny medieval village. My feeling is that it would have been too small to have its own militia. and wouldn't it be MKV? I could be wrong. My best guess at the moment is Middlesex volunteers, which is a county 50 miles south. The plumes and crown (which is the Prince of Wales royal crest) are found in its regimental insignia, but also in plenty of other regiments around the country too. Thanks for the offer of running it by your friend. I'm hitting a brick wall here.

Mark.
 
A very nice treasure, hope there is a good possibility that it can be straightened.
 
Re: Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate

Wormslayer said:
Buttons.. there's a good idea! I didn't think of that. A quick search produced no results, but it is another avenue to explore. Thanks for the tip. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Nope... nothing round here begining with M apart from Milton Keynes which is where I'm from. It's a city now, but even as recently as 30 years ago it was just a tiny medieval village. My feeling is that it would have been too small to have its own militia. and wouldn't it be MKV? I could be wrong. My best guess at the moment is Middlesex volunteers, which is a county 50 miles south. The plumes and crown (which is the Prince of Wales royal crest) are found in its regimental insignia, but also in plenty of other regiments around the country too. Thanks for the offer of running it by your friend. I'm hitting a brick wall here.

Mark.
:hello:

Hi Mark welcome to Treasure Net, I hope you stick around :icon_thumleft: I wondered if you had tried posting it on the UKFD for a ID.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/index.php



SS
 
wow...great post and unreal find!!!
 
Fantastic Find!
Great work cleaning too :wink:
Congrats on another banner find!! Show us some more ;D
 
Wormslayer said:
I was scouring the internet trying to identify a cross belt plate that I found here in England, when I came across your belt plate. It's a beauty. It looks even older than mine. It oozes history, though I can't be sure of that because I have had no luck in identifying mine. I thought you might like to see it. Good luck with your future hunts, and to everyone at treasurenet.

Cheers,
Mark

Now that's a comment that accurately describes this find: "It oozes history....". Great quote! Awesome rescue! Well done!!! PB
 
Sorry, but I wasn't a member yet when you found this romeo! :laughing7:

Fantastic find man! :hello2:

Dave
 
Wow...here's a blast from the past! Still my all time favorite find...until I find one that isn't so bendy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom