What's new

Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.
 

Attachments

  • plate.webp
    plate.webp
    113 KB · Views: 7,194
Upvote 0
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Romeo, I just had to post my sincere congrats to you on both forums. That is without doubt one of the best finds anybody could ever make. What are your plans for restoration and care?. And by the way........banner.......all the way.

James.
HomesteadHunter
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

HomesteadHunter said:
Romeo, I just had to post my sincere congrats to you on both forums. That is without doubt one of the best finds anybody could ever make. What are your plans for restoration and care?. And by the way........banner.......all the way.

James.
HomesteadHunter

I was thinking about having it straightened but I am terrified that it would be returned to me in two pieces...
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Still can't believe that thing popped up. Killer find!!!

BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

I don't know much about War relics, but I can tell that you are beyond excited. Congrats to you......our hobby has ultimately paid off for you! Good job!!! :thumbsup:

HH,
Moon
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Have it professionally unbent! Find of the Year baby, submit to W&E.
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

AWESOME find BB...CONGRATS!!! :thumbsup: No question either...definite BANNER!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Definitely a nice find............... Vote for Banner too :-*
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Wow, I am not familiar with this type of relic but it sure sounds like you found a once in a lifetimer! Congrats... :thumbsup: jgas
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

So when do you plan on changing your avatar pic from that boring old 8 reale to your fantastic beltplate?.

James.
HomesteadHunter
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

HomesteadHunter said:
So when do you plan on changing your avatar pic from that boring old 8 reale to your fantastic beltplate?.

James.
HomesteadHunter

I'm going to do some dry cleaning and try for a couple better pics!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Congratulations.One very nice and rare find. BANNER. Jimbob
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

That is a unbelievable find congrats on a wonderful find that would be my best find too! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Awesome find Romeo.Well done.
clapping.gif
clapping.gif
clapping.gif
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

WTG!!!! Im sure with a cleaned up some and better photo , we will be seeing that at the top of the forum! :thumbsup:

Don
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Congratulations on what must be a dream find!!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

It doesn't get much better than that!!!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Very nice! congrats and a banner nomination!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

Congratulations to you on an incredible find! Your relic rules! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom