What's new

Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.
 

Attachments

  • plate.webp
    plate.webp
    113 KB · Views: 7,194
Upvote 0
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

I'm sure you could do better if you tired harder :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Lay it between two pieces of iron and belt it with a 14lb hammer :D :D :D great find and BIG congrats on the banner :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Congratulations on such a beautiful find!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1 said:
Zeus, yesterday I found Spanish and French colonial silver and I can't even get excited about those two due to the belt plate...it's ruined me. LOL.

Oh to be ruined in such a way! :D Super find! Congratulations on a BANNER find of a life time. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

romeo-1 said:
HomesteadHunter said:
Romeo, I just had to post my sincere congrats to you on both forums. That is without doubt one of the best finds anybody could ever make. What are your plans for restoration and care?. And by the way........banner.......all the way.

James.
HomesteadHunter

I was thinking about having it straightened but I am terrified that it would be returned to me in two pieces...
I don't think it should break the bend looks to me(I'm not a expert) as a clean bend an I beilve they use heat to soften the metal to re bend it into shape... I do understand your fears but i would check into the best person to restore this an get a price quote an see if they guarntee there work an have insurance... then think about doing it....
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:
romeo-1 said:
Bump for a better picture...very hard to photograph...

Romeo, I think that photograph is as good as your are going to get it, hope to see it up top soon. :thumbsup: There are ways of straightening that plate, you might ask around if you have already not done so.

Don

I would love to have it straightened but I am just too paranoid that it will be broken...maybe after the initial high of finding it wears off I'll look into it. What I would really like is to clean it without affecting the patina...
Someone has to know the right combination of heat,pressure to get that baby back into shape without ruining the patina.......Absolutely Beautiful Piece.....Congrat's and the Best of Luck :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Still trying to get a better pic...
 

Attachments

  • RA Plate 002.webp
    RA Plate 002.webp
    115.2 KB · Views: 4,956
  • RA Plate 009.webp
    RA Plate 009.webp
    111.2 KB · Views: 4,928
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! Dont straighten it . Who knows, it may have been bent in battle and that just adds to the story .
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

That's what makes this hobby fun.......................... :thumbsup:

Congratulations on making the banner......................... :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

The bend in it looks like recent plow damage......NGE
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Magnificent find, to say the least..

May I be the bad boy here, and ask the dirty question? What is its value?
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

For being that old other than being bent up a bit, that looks like a great find!
Congratulations!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

What a flippin' great find!!
WTG!
Baggins
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

That is a supurb find......it doesn't get any better than that! Its a shame that its was bent , from the looks of that bent mark it had to happen recently, either by plow or something else..........Identifying that piece will be all the fun, who had it? if there was a camp there? It will be a nice challenge.....Congrats!!!! :o
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

goldnow said:
Magnificent find, to say the least..

May I be the bad boy here, and ask the dirty question? What is its value?

Honestly, I have no idea...
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Cloud 9 for sure ! Congratulations on your Banner find . :icon_study:
TnMountains
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

just jaw dropping! Astounding! i love Brit relics left over here, very cool! IT LOOKS TO ME THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN BENT BY A CALVARY SWORD.. that belt would have been in the mid chest area right?
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

archaeon said:
just jaw dropping! Astounding! i love Brit relics left over here, very cool! IT LOOKS TO ME THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN BENT BY A CALVARY SWORD.. that belt would have been in the mid chest area right?

Unfortunately it was found in a working crop field so the bend is most likely plough damage...but i like your theory better!
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Congrat's on the awesome find, and Banner :thumbsup:
 
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Nice Find WTG
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom