Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
went out for a bit while watering this morning and called russy but know answer
i wanted him to come and walk awhile
about ten minutes later i'm gonna leave and he calls and says "wait around and let's walk a little, I'm only a couple miles away, ill be there in ten minutes"
so i decide to stay and keep walking, about a few minutes went by and i thought i saw a TRSS arrow point, so i'm grabbing my camera and looking a little closer, about 6" to the right is a piece of a pottery rim with a BUFFALO face,
by the time i did the nature dance and took the initial 3 pictures i put my camera away saw russy walking up
now if he wouldn't have called i would have left and never found this baby
in 25 yrs of surface hunting i have never seen one of these, i did find a couple of owl faces over the years but never one like this
the TRSS (gray chert) point i thought i saw is to the left of the buffalo beside the pink and gray piece of granite
i will post the rest of what we found on another thread as soon as i get time
yes i think it's true....sunshine follows russy wherever he goes
lars

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 572
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a very far fetched thought, but that piece looks more like an Ape or Monkey face to me than a Buffalo. Now here's the crazy thought, what if it represents a Bigfoot or Sasquatch and not a buffalo. lol :o

I'm sure it is a Buffalo as Steve says because that would be the best scenario for the piece, a Buffalo Haed off the side of a Pot. But you just never know, do ya???

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
CONGRATS MY FRIEND!!!!!I am with Steve it does look like bigfoot..is he not like a spirt guid or animal?
But you know your stuff Larson.So I tend to lean your way,A buffalo would be more proper..Great find.....One day I am gonna have to get your way to see your collection.....Or museum..lol.Congrats again...Neo

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Whatever it reperesents it is really neat. Congrats to you sir!

Chuck

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey shoreline,
it does look like a bear but someplace i have a book from the historical society with pictures of buffalo faces on the sides of pottery
and they look like this
i'll try to find them
larson

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
COOL! Would Russy go walking with us? How does he feel about Oklahoma? That's a another great find larson, thank you for sharing :icon_thumleft:

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Larson that is a interesting piece. Look's like a bear to me though. either way buffalo or bear that is a great piece. Very interesting. :headbang: :hello2: :hello:

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except for Goofy, I didn't know dogs could drive. Lol just kidding!
Russy is the lucky one, I suspect.
Great find Steve.........once again.
You need a show on the History Channel.
American PickerUppers?

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Larson I can see it is a rim. I was just wondering is it fairly thin pottery it look's like it might be thin pottery from the photo's. that is a really interesting piece. Good find Congratulation's. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
the pottery is pretty thin