San Andreas Earthquake Prophecies

S

stefen

To fully understand the earthquake potential along the coastal United States, one must first understand the extremes before attempting to predict upcoming quakes.

Anyone can predict a quake in a highly active zone...they happen daily only the intensity is the variable. Most quakes, 3 and under are seldom felt and are quite common.

There is an area in California's coast known as the 'Lost Coast' located in the southern portion of Humboldt County that has the highest number of recorded earthquakes.

Quoting the "Humboldt Earthquake Education Center"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent Earthquakes on California's North Coast
Updated January 23, 1997

California's North Coast, particularly in the vicinity of Cape Mendocino and the coastal and offshore areas of Humboldt County, is one of the most seismically active areas of the United States. About 25% of California's annual release of seismic energy comes in this region. Since 1980, there have been five earthquakes close to magnitude 7, and an additional 6 of magnitude 6 or larger. In the past 5 years, 7 earthquakes in the region have been strong enough to produce Modified Mercalli Intensities of VII or greater. The high rate of seismic activity in the region is related to the complex geologic setting resulting in a number of different sources of potentially damaging earthquakes. Recent earthquakes demonstrate both the high activity rate and the diversity.

Also the uppermost beginning of the San Andreas fault where it enters the mainland.

Also the location of the continental plates.

Also the most westerly portion extension of U. S. land along the Pacific Ocean.

Also has the highest rainfall in the United States recording 200 inches plus annually.

Also the least explored land in the U. S.

Also the most inaccessible land in the U. S.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Well folks, it happened at that exact spot described above.

Ferndale is where the dairy farm is located

OP
OP
S

stefen

Interesting fact...25% of all earthquakes in California originate within a 25 mile radius on the Coast below Ferndale/Eureka...the Ricter scale recordings looks like a beehive

Several 6+ recordings have been recorded since the last post

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Redlands we have had a couple of " midsized " quakes in the last 2 weeks and a quite a few small ones as well...something's brewing....

PLL

OP
OP
S

stefen

Something is always brewing...

Interesting that Redland, which is a historic railroad town with hundreds of Victorian homes, most of which have no perimeter foundation, have withstood 150 years or so of earthquake activity.

Even though Redlands is central to one of the quake hot spots.

Prefer the quakes to hurricanes, tornado's and floods...overall damage is minor comparatively.

As you are well aware, living within the region means that one is understanding of the events as opposed to those from other parts of the U.S. that take the 'Chicken Little' stance as if they are the experts.

Agreed, something is always brewing...but the sky is definitely not falling :coffee2:

OP
OP
S

stefen

Well, had another 4.5 in the same location...

Like I said, 25% of all quakes in California originate from this same spot...and probably 80% of the major Richter readings.

Thinking about feeding the cows chocolate syrup and see if we get milkshakes :laughing7:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching a show about earthquakes on a BBC channel I get on my cable system and this guy on there said that California was due for at least a 6-9 on the ricter scale soon ,maybe by2011,this guy also said that the tsunami and the earthquake in HATI moved the axis's of the Earth a little too much and that might bring the end to mankind?
I thought it was pretty intresting. :dontknow:

OP
OP
S

stefen

Produce Guy said:
I was watching a show about earthquakes on a BBC channel I get on my cable system and this guy on there said that California was due for at least a 6-9 on the ricter scale soon ,maybe by2011,this guy also said that the tsunami and the earthquake in HATI moved the axis's of the Earth a little too much and that might bring the end to mankind?
I thought it was pretty intresting. :dontknow:

Actually the sky is not falling, besides earths axis historically, is constantly changing.

OP
OP
S

stefen

pegleglooker said:
Hey Stefen,
Where was the quake located at ????

PLL

There is an area about 30 miles (in the ocean) west of Ferndale where several Continental plates merge, and is the approximate terminus of the San Andreas Fault.

As stated, about 25% of California's quakes occur at this location.

By the way, the Victorian Village of Ferndale founded in the 1850's has survived 160 years of quakes.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen, interesting info. and seems like it would be kind os scarey in northern cal. hope that all is well with you. take care. ron

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D

The sky is not falling - however, the Haiti earthquake moved a bunch of town west! (some by several feet, some by inches).

B

OP
OP
S

stefen

maui said:
stefen, interesting info. and seems like it would be kind os scarey in northern cal. hope that all is well with you. take care. ron

Its kinda scary when you live and work in a high density urban area...there is no season for earthquake events.

Most buildings and bridges constructed after the 1950's have been built to resist earthquakes or have been upgraded to more recent standards.

Having experienced tornados and floods, a little shake is minor comparatively.

Haiti, for instance, has no official building standards, and consequently suffer the results. In fact, many third world countries who inhabit century old structures or uinreinforced masonry or mud homes have similar consequences as Haiti.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Here is an article from todays OC Register:

Southern Californians were awakened at 4:04 a.m. Tuesday by a magnitude 4.4 earthquake that’s become something of an odd event because it is not generating significant aftershock activity, says the U.S. Geological Survey.

“It might be that the quake just broke one patch of the fault, and that’s about all we’ll get,” says Bob Dollar, a seismologist at USGS. “That happens sometimes. But I would expect some aftershocks with a 4.4 quake. There’s still a 5 percent probability that we’ll have a larger event within a day, and a 10 percent probability of something in the 3.0 range within a week.”

Tuesday’s quake broke near the Pico Rivera Plaza Shopping Center, roughly five miles northeast of Downey, shaking much of Orange County. Dollar says the quake happened “in the vicinity of the Whittier and Puente Hills fault zones. This is a very complex area and the quake actually could have occurred on any of a half-dozen faults. We haven’t identified which one yet.” The quake began 11.2 miles deep, which is normal for Southern California.

On June 12, 1989, quakes measuring 4.8 and 4.5 occurred on the Whittier system, about six miles west of Tuesday’s event, underscoring the active nature of that region.

Caltrans officials are inspecting area freeways, but there have been no substantiated reports of significant damage. The quake happened on blind-thrust system, in an area where the Whittier is strong enough to produce a 7.2 quake, seismologists say. There is a very small chance that the quake is a pre-shock to a larger event.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen, thanks much for the info. most of our family lives in san diego and have not heard anything from them. like it says, it was a small one and i guess they are used to the little ones. big one coming, now that's really scarey.
again, thanks much stefen. take care and be safe out there. ron

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
Another quake today centered in Calexico... 6.9 and it lasted awhile !!!!! I was at work in Redlands and the store rolled for about a SOLID 20-30 seconds....Redlands is about a 4 hr drive from Calexico a good 250 miles....

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread