Scuttled Nazi treasure submarine

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
My turn, dear TH members involved in this thread.....

I never said that von Braun arrived on US soil on board of German submarine. It is well-known fact that he was part of the "Operation Paperclip". Also, I would like to state here that I don't see anything bad in recruiting brilliant German brains for America. The Russiansd did it as well. Though, there was a flow of German scientists (not too big, more individual, but it was) on US soil during the last weeks and even months of the war. Adolf Hitler had other problems to solve than to keep eyes on the Reich's scientists during the last days of his rein and his followers as well. The scientists were generally indeed older and they would not paddle miles for the shore. It was not necessary. There weas other way, much more safer.

I would like to state here that it is not a rumor, not a story, there are just historical facts. Dominican Republic dictator Leonidas Trujillo was great admiror of Adolf Hitler. If somebody wants to argue that he declared the war to the Nazi Germany, yes, he did, because he was internationally forced to do it, after German sub sank Dominical freighter in the Caribbean. Nevertherless it had nothing to do with his passion for Nazi leader and his secret efforts in his favor. What he did was that he allowed secret German submarine supplying posts on several points of the Dominican republic, where U-boats received fresh meat, cheese, bread, water and sometimes also fuel on regular bases when they started to operate in the Caribbean and US waters. Two of these places were on the northern coast of the island ond one on the south, close to Barahona city. The point that was used most was close to today's Playa Grande, where the depth goes to 4,000 meters relatively very close to the shore. Till today the beach where the Germans came to the shore in their rubber boats in the middle of the night is called "matapuercos" (pig killing). The local fishermen killed there pigs on the beach to give fresh meat to the German crews. Guys, please, do not argue about that, I spoke personally with still living witnesses who remeber these actions and two of them were personally involved. The Germnas paid them generaly in gold coins (not from treasures on board I would like to state). Trujillo allowed German secret spy network on the Dominical territory as well, since 1942. There are two proofs, one tailor living in the city of Puerto Plata at those war times and other photographer that were in fact German spies. Even US Congress warned Trujillo in Autumn 1943 not to follow these actions and take a messaures against growing secret German network on the island, because, obviously, it could not escape US intelligence sources.

Especially the point of exchange close to Playa Grande was several times also used for human transfers. Some persons came to the shore from Nazi submarines, it was already organized a way for them, civilian clothes, false passports and they borded generally freighter of Neutral flags in Puerto Plata or in Santo Domingo and they ended in Boston, where they were already awaited. It is not know exact number of these person, nor names, just that this route really existed and that it was several times used for lower number of persons. That's all.

Best regards,
Lobo

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The U-853 could not leave the shallow waters until the four men in the rubber boat got back on board. The sub was sunk while waiting for them. The truth will eventually all come out. My story will be confirmed. The 88mm shells and diamonds exist and some are waiting to be found. Believe it or not.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
THE TALE OF A U-BOAT,RUBBER RAFT & 2 SPIES

William C Colepaugh was an American who grew up on Long Island,NY,and became enthralled with Hitler and the Third Reich.He moved to Germany before Pearl Harbor and was recruited by the Reich Central Security Office to work as a spy.After training at A-SCHULE WESTEN,he was paired with German,Erich Gimple,for UNTEREHMEN ELSTER (Operation Magpie),to go to America and ferret out information on ship construction,rocket experiments,and aircraft production.
Colepaugh and Gimple were each supplied with forged papers, a Colt pistol,a compass,Leica camera,Krahl wristwatch,a bottle of secret ink and powder for developing secret ink messages,instructions to build a radio,and $60,000 in US currency.
Lt Hans Hilbig,captain of U-1230 carried the pair from the Baltic port of Keil to Bar Harbor,Maine.
On Nov 29,1944,they were rowed ashore in a rubber raft by two of the u-boats sailors during a snowstorm,neither had thought to bring heavy coats.
Freezing,they flagged down a taxi that took them to Bangor,Maine for $6.00,and from Bangor,took a train to Boston and to NYC,where they checked into the KENMORE HOTEL on East 23rd St.
Instead of carrying on with their spying,they acted like characters out of a Damon Runyon story,Spending the Reichs money on booze and broads,and shopping at high ends mens stores.
On Dec 23,Colepaugh traveled to MONTAUK to visit an old schoolmate,told him of his spy activies,and turned himself in.Gimple was caught ,Dec 30,at TIMES SQUARE,and only $14,674.00 of the money remained.
Both were tried for espionage at a military court at Governor's Island,found guilty and sentenced to death on Feb 14,1945,but the sentence was reduced to life in prison.the late 1940's,they were released and deported back to Germany.
There you have a U-boat,rubber raft and Montauk true story,but no diamonds
Could a certain version of U-853 tale have been adapted,in part,by this event?

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ECS-For arguements sake let's assume your story on the above thread is true word for word. Anything is possible as to what the real truth is to your story and my story. Did they somehow morph together? Anything is possible. I will stick to the details of the story I have told. The diamonds and 88mm shells existed. I have reason to believe they may still be where they were hidden. The only way to prove anything is to find them. When the time is right I will try to do this.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Bill Palmer, featured in a couple of the videos above will be releasing a new book on U-853 shortly. Anyone interested in diving her can contact me and I can hook you up with Palmer, he runs charters to her regularly. My museum has her props and they will go on exhibit shortly and we have a display about her including a model and photos.

Whydah Diver

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The U-853 could not leave the shallow waters until the four men in the rubber boat got back on board. The sub was sunk while waiting for them. The truth will eventually all come out. My story will be confirmed. The 88mm shells and diamonds exist and some are waiting to be found. Believe it or not.
One must consider the time factor involved in this incident.After sinking the SS Black Point 4mi south of Point Judith,RI,the 16hr attack with depth charges and hedgehogs on the U-853 began 3hrs later.Within those three hours,the U-853 had to go to the Montauk Light,surface,inflate a rubber raft,load on the 88 shells,have 4 crewmen paddle to shore,bury the shells,and return to the sub,as ALL hands went down with the U-853.
The U-853 specs:Lenght 252',Beam 22'8",Heigth 31'6",Draft 15'5"
Speed,surface 19knots (35km/h);submerged 7.3knots (13.5kn/h)
The U-853 went down 7mi east of Block Island in 121' of water.
US Naval photos of recovered artifacts of the U-853 (May 6,1945)Notice the rubber raft:
U-boat Archive - U-853 - Artifacts
So two question arise-
If this was a 'secret mission" to bury diamonds on Montauk,why would Kapitanleutnant Helmut Fromsdorf topedeo the SS Black Point,announcing his presence in the area?
Could all of this be accomplished in 3hrs?

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
THEY NEVER MADE IT BACK TO THE SUB! I don't claim to have all the answers. My friend's dad found the 88mm shells. I don't know how it all happened or for a fact why the Black Point was sunk. I am not an expert on all this. ECS-Didn't you find some info on a German who may have claimed he was involved with the rubber raft? I got the info on the raft story 25 years ago. One of the survivors told two Americans his story and where the shells were buried by the parking lot west of the lighthouse. Also, don't you think they have way more than one rubber raft on board? They were their life rafts. As far as all hands going down with the sub, do you think they had a crew list and someone went on board the sunken sub and counted all the dead bodies?

Last edited:

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
I had researched German subs for years in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course lots of rumors abound. U-166 was found by a BP/Shell survey. It is in about 5000 fsw in Mississippi Canyon outside the mouth of the Mississippi. (BP still expresses interest in it). I had worked with a diver at one time who knew about a conning tower sticking out of the sea floor - German - (and being an ex- Marine Recon he probably would know the difference. Most of our dive team was ex specwar). Could never get details or convince him to go check it out. Keep in mind he was an experienced diver and warrior. Divers are full of stories but he was telling the truth. This was decades ago.. His hideout was on a channel between Alabama and Florida that led to the Gulf so it could be off Pensacola somewhere. Then again, we worked off the whole Gulf coast from Port Isabel to Mobile Bay and all parts in between. Maybe he found it while on a job. That's a lot of ocean..

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The entire crew was lost? What about the four guys that came ashore in a rubber raft. Thier mission was to bury the 88mm shells by the parking lot... I got the inside scoop on this. Dig a little deeper and you will find rumors of the treasure and the 88mm shells. The rumors are true.

The sub could not leave the area until the guys came back from their mission. While waiting for them the sub was destroyed. It now rests on the bottom in 125 feet of water. Many people have dived on it in search of the treasure. It is not on board. I know where some of it is.
THE TIMELINE:
May 5,1945 5:40 PM-The U-853 torpedoed the SS Black Point.
7:20 PM Navy scrambles all spotter planes and ships in the area to hunt the U-853.
11:43 PM-US Atherton and US Moberly made sonar contact with the U-853 and commence with depth charges.
May 6,1945 10:45 AM-US Erickson reports U-853 sunk,sent down a diver,and states all hands went down with U853.
If four men on a raft buried 88 shells filled with diamonds on Montauk it would have been in DAYLIGHT.
By 7:20 PM,the U-853 had to have been submerged.
The U-853 was sunk 7 miles east of Block Island,not in Montauk,so the sub was NOT waiting for the return of four guys on a raft.
So in the 2hrs 40mins between the SS Black Point sinking and being submerged at 7:20,could the U-853 have traveled from Judith Point to Montauk,loaded a rubber raft with 88 shells of diamonds in broad daylight,have four men paddle to shore,bury the shells and return to the sub?
Remember ALL HANDS have been accounted for,in 1945 and later by the German government.

Last edited:

User

Greenie
Oct 19, 2009
Former USSR
View attachment 717481 barney-88mm shells are huge. I never said the Germans hid any diamonds in Florida or New Jersey. They hid them by the lighthouse on Long Island. I also stated the shells were loaded onto the sub while it was in Germany. The deck gun size on this sub is irelevant. I don't know or care why the Germans chose to land at the lighthouse. My guess is that it is easy to find at night. There is a road that leads into the park that anyone planning to dig up the diamonds could easily use. The diamonds were buried to be dug up by high-ranking officials that were fleeing Germany at the end of the war.

How do you know that it was a "conventional war patrol"? Isn't this thread about Nazi treasure submarines at the end of WWII" As a matter of fact the sinking of this sub is supposed to have been the last action of WWII.

You say that this story makes very little to no sense? You are entitled to your opinion but that it all it is, your opinion.

old man-My story never changed locations. It may be hard for you all to follow. I knew the "wife" very well. I will say again to make it clear-THERE IS MORE TO THIS STORY THAN I AM WILLING TO PUT ON T-NET. Does that make anything clearer? As far as knowing where to look, I know the locations, I am just not that interested in these diamonds. I have my reasons.

Look at the picture. Imagine digging up 12-14 of these filled with diamonds, gold, silver and currency. Would you throw ALL of them in your trunk if you weren't sure what you were going to do with them all. That is why some of them were rehid at the park.

It is obvious that you all are going to refuse to accept that my story on here could be true. I don't know why I even bother telling you.

That one shell is a new one (bigger) one shell.
The original german WWII 88mm FLAK shell is a little bit less in dimentions and weight...

And I'm absolutely agree with the guys here that saying that that there is no any doc from Germ. Subs. that can tell us about their secret cargo and their real (secret) mission(trip)!!!

- Legal SUB log just saying about the legal events... Are you not agree with me? So, are you want me to tell you about Russian (NKVD) KGB - those who can hide just everything? Saying about that - the German Nazi's were even much more clever than Soviet Union ones in hiding real events everywhere!!!

88FLAK.jpg 88FLAKdim.gif

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Dog, if you read those official reports like I did you found out that blimps were called in to photograph the area where the U-boat
was trapped underwater. The blimps, it said, were to also attack the sub but that idea was cancelled when another ship, the SEMMES,
arrived.

I was wondering if maybe those photos included the parking lot. Perhaps signs of digging are on one of those photos. That would help
prove your story although those liferafts looked mighty small for four guys and all those shells. But don't let that bother you. Maybe
ECS can help you get copies of the blimp's (plural) photographs.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
BDD,
You know me, so here is my one and only post on this matter...In spite of all the naysayers, I believe what you say is not only plausible, but likely true. The raft party probably was never mean to return to the Sub, but was positioned to melt into the populace. The treasure was probably meant for purposes only we can speculate on and was indeed placed where you were told.
Of course, this is only an opinion and can only be proven by tasting the puddin'. If you know what I mean.
Aquanut

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ECS-You keep insisting that ALL HANDS were accounted for. Do you and anyone else involved believe everything you read? If they wanted to sneak four guys and some diamonds onto the sub and onto shore I am sure they could have done it, and as far as I am concerned they did. I told you I don't know the whole story or do I need to know. I feel I know all I want to which is where the treasure is now hidden.

User-There were many different sized 88mm shells, flak, tank, artillery, etc. Any of them could hold a lot of diamonds, paper currency and gold.

lastleg-I have no interest in going to a lot of trouble about the details. If and when I feel like it I will go after the diamonds.

aquanut-What you say about the guys never intending to get back on the sub makes sense. There will be some puddin tasting in the near future. I am about to finish my last project so that I can go full-time treasure hunting.

I will repeat on here again, there are many details to this whole story that I have no intention of sharing. I will add this, there is every reason for me to believe that my friend's dad saw the guys bury the shells. After they left he dug them back up. He reburied some at the park and left with the rest. Years later he crashed his private plane and died.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread