Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
As it is common knowledge that humans have visited as well as lived on this island for hundreds of years, the discovery of pottery or bones means “meh” in regards to mysterious treasures. As previously stated, with the mass amount of excavations performed at the island along with previous drill holes going to 200’ plus, anything found deep fell into the holes during the previous excavations/drilling.

If it was from this little "Tea and Crumpets" it was well before any "Treasure Hunters" were on this "Island"!

Tea and Crumpets.jpg

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was from this little "Tea and Crumpets" it was well before any "Treasure Hunters" were on this "Island"!

View attachment 1524116

Exactly what I said. Some pottery was left/lost/broken on the island long before any treasure hunters arrived. During excavations/digging, broken pottery pieces were shoved into holes.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly what I said. Some pottery was left/lost/broken on the island long before any treasure hunters arrived. During excavations/digging, broken pottery pieces were shoved into holes.

Ah Yes...Then the mystery is...Who Left This Pottery?

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I am rather surprised you think coconuts were in the "New World" before Columbus because they were first introduced into the Atlantic Basin by the Portuguese in 1499.
Cheers, Loki

It's not about what I think. I am not a coconut professional. However, I am willing to defer to the expertise of coconut experts. They're the ones doing the DNA testing, not me. As I've already said, until recently, I did not know that coconut palms predated Columbus in the New World. That's not my line of work.

We've kicked this around for a week or three and you accepted it, but you suddenly have a problem with it now? Have you not researched this?

Sidebar conversation: no reason to use quotations around New World. Everyone knows what it means, we're not using it ironically, and it's a much less cumbersome than using "North/Central/South America."

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of that - I wish they would have studied and identified the type of metal that killed the drill bit in an earlier show. Would be interesting to know even though it's a 97% chance of being part a previous searcher's equipment in a collapsed dig.
97% I would go with 99.999999% myself....

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not about what I think. I am not a coconut professional. However, I am willing to defer to the expertise of coconut experts. They're the ones doing the DNA testing, not me. As I've already said, until recently, I did not know that coconut palms predated Columbus in the New World. That's not my line of work.

We've kicked this around for a week or three and you accepted it, but you suddenly have a problem with it now? Have you not researched this?

Sidebar conversation: no reason to use quotations around New World. Everyone knows what it means, we're not using it ironically, and it's a much less cumbersome than using "North/Central/South America."

I have researched it extensively and published several experts opinions here at various times. The experts I mostly quoted were a team of three of the most respected researchers in the world and there were also others. The stated opinions of all the experts I quoted was that "coconuts" did not exist anywhere in the Atlantic Basin before the Portuguese introduced them in 1499. That means the Gulf of Mexico, The Caribbean and the Mediterranean. This is the same information the map you produced indicated which is why I accepted it.

I use quotations with "New World" because I really don't like to use the term. It was only "new" to the Europeans who allegedly discovered it, and as we all know the one credited with the discovery was not the first anyhow. The Mormons have their own definition. History is funny that way, IMHO, it was written by the winners.

Cheers, Loki

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright I have a question here.Why didn't they drill the 40 exploratory 6" holes on day one ? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do ?

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright I have a question here.Why didn't they drill the 40 exploratory 6" holes on day one ? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do ?

As mentioned above, this same tactic was used back in the 1960's to no avail. At this point the show needs to do something to make it seem like a Season 5 is justified. Let's face it, other than a few dozen people on these boards, most of the people watching this show take the Laginas at their word when stating something like this was never done before. Also, I'm assuming the production budget for the first couple of seasons was really small.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you suppose some production team member might be reading these threads to see what people are saying about the show? Or do you think they don't care as long as the ratings stay high?

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mystery.....anyone of the 1000's of people who visited the island over the years.....

The funny thing is that past searchers probably didn't care much about relatively worthless items that didn't relate to the treasure. Find a metal spike, who cares, throw it back into the ground. Find an old tea cup, oh this is cool, pour me some tea in this thing before I toss it down the drill shaft. Oh cool I found a coin from the late 1700's..........is it gold? No? Toss it back. Hey Joe, what do we have in that pile we just excavated? Uhm, we have some dirt and old wood. Really? Toss it back in.

What I'm basically saying is that even though the Laginas make a big production out of anything that comes out of the ground, past searchers may have already found these items and just decided to toss them back.

Last edited:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest worry with this show is that at the end of Season 5 they'll probably make it seem that an old collapsed wooden searcher shaft was the actual treasure vault, which is now empty. They'll probably have the wood tested and claim that the earlier B-14 carbon dating was from the 1750's (even if most of the other sample dates were from 100 years later). Then they'll put all the clues together and state that the Free Masons were probably responsible for placing that treasure vault 150 ft deep into the ground, but later retrieved the loot in the late 1700's. Mystery solved.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of you suppose some production team member might be reading these threads to see what people are saying about the show? Or do you think they don't care as long as the ratings stay high?

I doubt they know about this forum or care about us much. They just care that folks are watching the show. At this point I don't believe any of the production crew believe there is anything to find. They're just burning megapixels and selling commercials.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then they'll put all the clues together and state that the Free Masons were probably responsible for placing that treasure vault 150 ft deep into the ground

A hint from the season 5 preview is that it will lean toward the Templars. The English teacup crushed by one of Robert Restall's bulldozers and dumped into the drillhole is probably part of the Templar supporting documents.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looking back, they probably wish they had done the multiple drill method first. I imagine that they thought that if they could open a large hole to the chamber that they could freely move in the chamber with a diver to explore and find any possible treasure even if they didn't hit it exactly at first. They have explored some things in more detail than ever before: more sensitive cameras and sensors. I'm guessing they can't send a diver down any side tunnels because of the danger of collapse.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one guy with a metal detector.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread