What's new

seen this before?

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,031
Reaction score
9,228
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess it is stone, but it is pretty light and not cool to the touch like most rocks are. It is smooth but rough as well, it feels almost like I could use it as a nail file. Does the size or shape look familiar to anyone? Does the material seem familiar? Everything I post is from the PNW coast.
 

Attachments

  • DSC04241.webp
    DSC04241.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC04242.webp
    DSC04242.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
I think its just naturally tumbled sandstone. I could be wrong it's just an educated guess.
 
It's shaped exactly like a roller pestle.
I would look up examples from your area and compare material.
Its normal for the same material to be used regularly to make the same tool since it was found to be the best for the job in a given area.
 
I would say that giving the size compared to a dime, its not a roller pestle unless they had some really tiny rolling to do. Natural is my guess.
 
Haha.. your right I kinda forgot about the coin.
 
i expect it is natural too but it doesn't seem like sandstone either. It just doesn't feel right and it stands out like a weasle in a hen house where I found it, the stone type is just all wrong.
 
Is there any evidence of use of any kind? If not than sure..natural.
Seems like something makes you think its not.
If there is dammage from use on the ends I suppose it would work as a bopper for knapping if its hard enough.
Otherwise just a rock.
 
other than the context in which I found it no...nothing...and it is sure not hard, I expect I could break it pretty easy, but not ceramic, at least i think not, no ceramic tradition here on the coast other than Shoto and this in not that. It is rough but not rough enough to be sandstone, finer grained, but not limestone either...between the two....
 
What about a nose pin? Thats the only thing I believe it could be.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom