Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you guys know how many times operations like this have taken place here over the years ?? Many many times !! Some large some small. There are records that can be found with actual numbers that give the cubic yards moved each time. Just sayin......the numbers are mind blowing. Hundreds of thousands of cubic tons of sand at a time. That's cubic tons....not square tons. Guess these guys can get those chests. If the story of coins being found on the beach here are true......then take a guess how they got there. They sure didn't wash up....they were pumped up many many years ago by army Corp of engineers. Just a little food for thought.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
I don't know about treasure on the west coast. I lived in Tampa, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Pine Island and Ft. Myers and hunted all the beaches for years and never found any Spanish coins. So many stories and I bought books telling them all. The Spanish had no reason to go up the West coast with treasure since they were headed to Cuba for Spain...

The Manila Galleons ran up the west coast to and from the Orient to Central America. :)

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Sarasota I took my boat to stump pass many times with the detector. I searched most of what you see in your pic. the only thing I found worth while was a 1852 dime.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Manila Galleons ran up the west coast to and from the Orient to Central America. :)

That makes about as much sense as driving to Miami from Tampa via New Orleans.....

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20190723-231926_Drive.jpg
233000 cubic yards in 2017 alone.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Billieg the chart you posted is a generic version showing the general direction of the fleets. It is NOT the actual sailing routes they took. Look at the chart Bum Luck posted. Does it look anything like yours? Is the chart you posted an actual sailing route chart from the 16th century archives? How else would you explain the wrecks at Padre island, TX, Cedar Key and Sanibel Island, FL? They followed the coast for three reasons. First, the prevailing winds took them in that direction. Second, there is a current in the Gulf called the "Loop Current" that gave their ships an extra 2 knots speed. Third, they used the shore to know exactly where they were at any time.

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the currents, one can surmise the route..

4923d1912d35cbfe26eb91ab15f8d67e--mexico-map-gulf-of-mexico.jpg CARTHE_for_AVISO.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billieg the chart you posted is a generic version showing the general direction of the fleets. It is NOT the actual sailing routes they took. Look at the chart Bum Luck posted. Does it look anything like yours? Is the chart you posted an actual sailing route chart from the 16th century archives? How else would you explain the wrecks at Padre island, TX, Cedar Key and Sanibel Island, FL? They followed the coast for three reasons. First, the prevailing winds took them in that direction. Second, there is a current in the Gulf called the "Loop Current" that gave their ships an extra 2 knots speed. Third, they used the shore to know exactly where they were at any time.

Isn't it rather funny how's it that guys like us understand what historians generally overall have not.

I laugh at some of the "route" maps made by some of them that exist out there. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and btw...

I think I can see those chests in this picture.

:P

Florida%20from%20space%20low%20orbit.jpg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the currents, one can surmise the route..

View attachment 1739750 View attachment 1739752

Thank you. As you can see the closest they would have gotten to FL W. coast was hundreds of miles looking at your map. Naples would have been the closest. Maybe during a hurricane they could have blown into Sanibel but that wasn't their main route. I lived on Pine Island in back of Sanibel and fished and detected Sanibel, Punta Gorda, Venice, Sarasota etc. for years and never heard of any Spanish ships found off the shore.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. As you can see the closest they would have gotten to FL W. coast was hundreds of miles looking at your map. Naples would have been the closest. Maybe during a hurricane they could have blown into Sanibel but that wasn't their main route. I lived on Pine Island in back of Sanibel and fished and detected Sanibel, Punta Gorda, Venice, Sarasota etc. for years and never heard of any Spanish ships found off the shore.

Just because you have never heard of any does not mean there isn't any.

I will share with you all here... MY facts on this topic / matter...

The Spanish have been all over the west coast of Florida LONG before anywhere else in North America... the first expeditions in recorded history were ALL on the west coast... the West Coast of Florida was a hot bed of Spanish activity throughout Florida's beginnings... from the very first landings to the very first settlement / colony.
AND... unlike depicted on that map and dozen's of others... the routes WERE along the coastline... WITHIN site of land... NOT in open water off sight of land.

Period.

What I say is based on years of intense research. (And theory must not contradict empirical facts).

Now... as far as Spanish wrecks on the West Coast of Florida is concerned...They exist...
and the reason you will never hear of them is due to many factors... ONE and foremost being... anything from that period would be under a minimum of 10 feet of sand... and in most cases the depth of sand would be more in the range of 20+ feet of sand.

This is due to the constant coastal changes the West Coast Of Florida has sustained over eons.

I saw a wreck once... (origin unknown) only once... after a major storm... within days it was gone again.

I can tell you story after story I know.

And besides... you have to know where to look :)

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the pirates were quite busy on Florida W coast.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the pirates were quite busy on Florida W coast.

Correct Red D...

And "busy" would be an understatement actually... more like "infested" would fit better..:)

And this was the case until the late 1850's.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the shallow waters of Chico Bayou Pensacola, in August of 1913, Charles H Villar of Pensacola found a Spanish treasure chest filled with gold doubloons and pieces of eight pre-dating the 1800s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread