What's new

"She" was a "He", and it didnt say Liberty

Michellets

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
273
Reaction score
51
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
"She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

I have been searching for that early coinage for a while now, and have had plenty of luck finding all kinds of copper coinage, but the early silver has eluded me. I still had hope though, and spent the late afternoon in the bush and heat. I finally had a good signal on the Ace and dug a wide plug......the result was this 1791 Bolivian 4 reale :o . When I came home I tried in vain to get a basic value on it, history, or find other examples of it but couldn't find anything like it. I believe it is Bolivian. Anyone have any info on it? BTW, it is also my oldest silver to date and I am a happy dirt fisher.... :wink: HH M.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01665.webp
    DSC01665.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 5,171
  • DSC01664.webp
    DSC01664.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 5,217
Upvote 0
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

(Gasp!) What a beautiful coin, and great find! Congrats on the banner!
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Congratulations!

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut..... when I first read the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about drunken trip to New Orleans. :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Best-Mike
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Michelle,

Congrats on on your "banner" find!

Like you, I have been praying to the metal detecting gods. ALthough many of my copper prayers have been answered (with the help of my new White's DFX) my prayers for the colonial silvers have not yet been answered.

I am impressed by your perseverence, braving the summer elements.

What state was the coin found in? My best guess is either VA or somewhere in New England.

Oh, one more thing...Detecting Freak: I have seen many old finds with the ACE 250. I found a 1787 Colonial with my ACE 250 as well. The machine will go deep. For around $200 it is the best in it's class. When you get into the Explorer and DFX price range, a lot of what you are paying for is features, not depth.

Neil
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

That is a "reale" nice find with some great details. They are very hard to find in that condition. Congrats!!!
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

WOW thats a super find :o awesome ! congrats on the find and the Banner :thumbsup:
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

QUEEN FOR THE DAY

Congrats on the silver and the banner.
SUPER FIND
Tn Joe
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Wow! Very big congrats on the 4 Reale and Banner find! That is just awesome. Extreme good hunt.
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Excellent reale and congrats on the Banner! I'm glad to hear you found it with your Ace. Definitely Queen for the day.:icon_queen:

Keep digging!
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Great find and in BEAUTIFUL shape!!!!!!
It SHOULD be up on the banner.
Congratulations!
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Very, very nice. It's the first 4 reales I have seen out of the ground. Congrats...
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

The black toning or character (oxidation) on this coin is lovely. Many would tell you to clean it. I would strongly advice keeping it 'as is'. By cleaning it you would be in some way denying its own history in the ground & it would look like all the others. I keep all my roman silver black, its a sign of a 'REAL' dug coin & not a fake. Black is good, & will not harm the coin ;D IMHO

WELL DONE!
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Thanks crusader, I didn't clean it other than rinsing it off. It didn't shine like that dime I found, or like the newer silver, but I suspect that is just the natural patina of having been in the ground for 200+ years. I don't mind it a bit, and your right on... HH M
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Congrats on the banner and coin.
I found a 1 real this year but the front is worn badly. Now I know just how ugly that Carlouse was. ;D
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Sweet coin Michelle! Congrats on making the banner too.
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

BEAUTY !! :occasion14: Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!! :blob9: :wav: :blob9:

LOVE the Spanish wilver :love7:

Derek :icon_king:
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

WOW!! Congrats!! :thumbsup: Im drooling!! :o
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

VERY nice !!
how do ugly people get to be on coins??
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Congratz on a great coin find and making the banner ~ good job ~ Jimmy
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Very Nice
 
Re: "She" was a "He", and it didn't say Liberty

Sweeet find and congrats on the banner well deserved!!! Bootstrap
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom