Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this here last year, but have yet to positively ID. We have some new members and I could get some new thoughts. It is silver and very THIN like a tag and the size of a quarter. Its hand engraved on the front in Old English copperplate script:

Jo-Ann L. Hall
12-30-43--1-2-44

There are some official looking numbers on the back: G-1506.

The back is also hand engraved. The numbers may coincide with a US military grave plot but what cemetery?... :dontknow: What century? :dontknow:

Plot G- Row 15- Grave 06? :dontknow:

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 5,006
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,733
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,935
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,735
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Just analyzed script with GIB...

based on the script you set up it says To: Ann F: Hull
To Ann, From Hull, it is a love token, look for marriages.

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Check this link

Makes my head work a bit harder...

This is a Tie in the last two words.

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 8.35.50 PM.png

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ligature tie

The ligature tie, also called double inverted breve, is used to represent double articulation (e.g. [k͡p]), affricates (e.g. [t͡ʃ]) or prenasalized consonant (e.g. [m͡b]) in the IPA. It is mostly found above but can also be found below when more suitable (e.g. [k͜p]).

On computers, it is encoded with characters U+0361 ͡ combining double inverted breve and, as an alternative when raisers might be interfering with the bow, U+035C ͜ combining double breve below.

The Uralic Phonetic Alphabet uses several forms of the tie or double breve:[6][7]

The triple inverted breve or triple breve below indicates a triphthong
The double inverted breve, also known as the ligature tie, marks a diphthong
The double inverted breve below indicates a syllable boundary between vowels
The undertie is used for prosody
The inverted undertie is used for prosody.

A diphthong (/ˈdɪfθɒːŋ/ DIF-thong or /ˈdɪpθɒːŋ/ DIP-thong[1]) (Greek: δίφθογγος, diphthongos, literally "two sounds" or "two tones"), also known as a gliding vowel, refers to two adjacent vowel sounds occurring within the same syllable. Technically, a diphthong is a vowel with two different targets: that is, the tongue (and/or other parts of the speech apparatus) moves during the pronunciation of the vowel. In most dialects of English, the phrase no highway cowboys /ˌnoʊ ˈhaɪweɪ ˈkaʊbɔɪz/ has five distinct diphthongs, one in every syllable.

Diphthongs contrast with monophthongs, where the tongue or other speech organs do not move and the syllable contains only a single vowel sound. For instance, in English, the word ah is spoken as a monophthong /ɑː/, while the word ow is spoken as a diphthong /aʊ/. Where two adjacent vowel sounds occur in different syllables—for example, in the English word re-elect—the result is described as hiatus, not as a diphthong.

Diphthongs often form when separate vowels are run together in rapid speech during a conversation. However, there are also unitary diphthongs, as in the English examples above, which are heard by listeners as single-vowel sounds (phonemes).[2]

This is all from Wikipedia, what you got is script representing a tie diphthong to combine two letters to show the word "From" and then Hull or Hall...looks like Hull.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BigCypress: Most people probably have not read the Platinum Pieces thread where I made some observations for fun and then asked you to bump them up so I can copy and paste. So...they may think I went looking through archives to find something to make an idiotic statement about. GIB and I are putting our brains together to help you on this one. If you want me to bow out, please just ask, I don't want to be where I am not wanted.

"This stands as the most ridiculous, arrogant and misleading statement I have ever read on TreasureNet. You should congratulate yourself."

I know this wasn't your statement, but if you feel the same as the poster then please let me know. I would hate to waste my 12 years of higher education where somebody could readily call me the most arrogant and misleading person ever on TNET. I love the likes on there as well. Thanks Breezie, Thanks RJC. FYI: The FDA thinks cigarettes are related to to cancer...but what the heck do they know?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BigCypress: Most people probably have not read the Platinum Pieces thread where I made some observations for fun and then asked you to bump them up so I can copy and paste. So...they may think I went looking through archives to find something to make an idiotic statement about. GIB and I are putting our brains together to help you on this one. If you want me to bow out, please just ask, I don't want to be where I am not wanted.

"This stands as the most ridiculous, arrogant and misleading statement I have ever read on TreasureNet. You should congratulate yourself."

I know this wasn't your statement, but if you feel the same as the poster then please let me know. I would hate to waste my 12 years of higher education where somebody could readily call me the most arrogant and misleading person ever on TNET. I love the likes on there as well. Thanks Breezie, Thanks RJC. FYI: The FDA thinks cigarettes are related to to cancer...but what the heck do they know?

Yes its true, I asked you to post your observations here on the correct thread and I bumped it up because its still not solved.

As far as the comments about a child not likely to live 3 days in the 1800's? I dont know. That is beyond my knowledge. However I said I would try and research it.

Breezie was nice enough to call the phone number but it appears Halls have deceased and the phone number now belongs to another family.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just analyzed script with GIB...

based on the script you set up it says To: Ann F: Hull
To Ann, From Hull, it is a love token, look for marriages.

Did you read what I posted about the letters J and T? Im not certain you are reading my replies. Do you really see an F:? I dont think there is any doubt its a fancy L with decorative loops.

JoAnn Hall paint2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hummm... the capitalized example letters don't all match up with the script in question.

Look at the letter A. It's completely different.

There must have been a different script used for the tag.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you referring to me? I made a cig. comment! But had nothing to do with you directly! I was referring to statistics! My writing isn't always clear and jumps around in Ideas. You can look up all the statistics you want. unless, you know time period, what was believed at the time, and area? They mean little in certain cases. Anyhow, maybe your referring to someone else? I see RJC in 2 of your posts and he is no where around.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you read what I posted about the letters J and T? Im not certain you are reading my replies. Do you really see an F:? I dont think there is any doubt its a fancy L with decorative loops.

Yeah, I read it and then talked it over with GIB. We see in F with a tie. (dipthong) Would make sense if it was a love token....To___, From___ especially if it was an older piece from the 1700 or 1800s.... Nothing to back this up, but I think 20th century would not be used to doing it. Especially with the hand carved marks on the back...that confuses me. Why the elegant script to hand "chiseled" marks. Seems like that back side was added on later...Otherwise both sides should have been equally as elegant.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you referring to me? I made a cig. comment! But had nothing to do with you directly! I was referring to statistics! My writing isn't always clear and jumps around in Ideas. You can look up all the statistics you want. unless, you know time period, what was believed at the time, and area? They mean little in certain cases. Anyhow, maybe your referring to someone else? I see RJC in 2 of your posts and he is no where around.

No bro,

You on my top ten most liked people on TNET. Say whatever you want, I feel the vibe you laying down. After all, I spent 150 buck to get the acid you recommend via PM.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hummm... the capitalized example letters don't all match up with the script in question.

Look at the letter A. It's completely different.

There must have been a different script used for the tag.

Oh Geez BID. Now you are questioning the letter A? Please google copper script. There are many different varieties. Its been used since the 1600s. https://www.google.com/search?q=cop...&bih=653#tbm=isch&q=old+english+copper+script

I dont want to be rude but if you or crispen know nothing about copper script, you shouldnt be making all these comments and determinations. You are not helping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh Geez BID. Please google copper script. There are many different varieties. Its been used since the 1600s. https://www.google.com/search?q=cop...&bih=653#tbm=isch&q=old+english+copper+script

I dont want to be rude but if you or crispen know nothing about copper script, you shouldnt be making all these comments and determinations. You are not helping.

You are not being rude...however, you are avoiding the obvious "tie." There is a space in between..........think outside the box.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I think I am done here. It is funny how you fight for the integrity of the site but readily reject any view that disagrees with yours. Send me a PM if you want any further assistance. Otherwise...I guess I will play a few hands of solitaire....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Okay, I think I am done here. It is funny how you fight for the integrity of the site but readily reject any view that disagrees with yours. Send me a PM if you want any further assistance. Otherwise...I guess I will play a few hands of solitaire....

Crispen rest assure I will never PM you for assistance. If you have any opinions post them here so TN members can also post their opinions on whether they agree or disagree. Its a community effort.

I have gone way out of my way to respond to every one of your opinions. Same with GIB, Breezie, nitric or anyone else. If I seem to reject your opinions, I explain in great detail along with diagrams. Its not my fault you are not reading them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You are not being rude...however, you are avoiding the obvious "tie." There is a space in between..........think outside the box.

crispen, I can only reply to one person at a time. I havent even read every comment yet. I just got back from eating dinner and its not easy to post with my celphone or while driving. I am studying it now. Give me a few minutes. If you want to explain the tie, Im home now and Im all ears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the post. The love tokens that I have come across have all been Seated Dimes.
Your post inspired me to look a little deeper. Try a little baking soda and water on the back
of that token. If it is silver, it should clean right up. I believe it was a seated quarter.
Check out this site;
americanhistory.si.edu/.../lov-token

Your link doesnt open. Have you ever seen a love token with 2 dates? Its the exact size of a US quarter but thinner and without the reeded edge. Are you suggesting that baking soda and water could bring out the seated quarter details, if thats what it is?

Its silver I tested it with Potassium Dichromate/Nitric Acid solution and it showed a bright red.

treasure beach find thin.jpg samesizeasquarter.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread