Shipwrecks of Cape Canaveral

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"West Of The Bull" is now available at Amazon. 254 pages, 60+ maps, 80+ photos, 25 pages of document images, fully indexed. Many photos are 40 or more years old, so not all of them are great, but the maps are sharp, for the most part.
The scoop:
Prior to the acquisition of properties on Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island by the federal government for the Air Force Eastern Test Range and the Kennedy Space Center, residents in the vicinity were aware of the many shipwrecks along the coast from Edgewater southward to present-day Port Canaveral, an area now known in Florida as the Space Coast. As the Kennedy Space Center was being developed, a number of treasure hunters combed the area, making remarkable finds dating from ancient times throughout the first contact period between Florida natives and Europeans. Before the creation of the Canaveral National Seashore and the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, some of these treasure hunters managed salvage leases all along the Cape Canaveral area, awarded to them by the State of Florida. This is the story of one such venture, the New Channel Historical Survey Group’s Exploratory Lease E5A. T. L. Armstrong and Randy Andrews worked for the New Channel Historical Survey Group, headed up by Bill and Florence Andrews. E5A was situated along the southern extent of Klondike Beach, perhaps so named for the booty found there in the past.

West Of The Bull contains many previously unpublished treasure recovery maps of the area produced by Bill Andrews, Lou Ullian, and Robert F. Marx, as well as a number of aerial charts especially prepared by the author. Personal notes of Robert F. Marx dealing with shipwrecks around the Cape are included, along with a summary of archaeological sites recorded by George A. Long for NASA in 1965.

The Look Inside feature is available at the Amazon listing page.

Attachments

• JacketSnapshot.jpg
    JacketSnapshot.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 514

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry, bring me a copy please, ill meet you at coconuts and buy you a beer! :occasion14:
chuck.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
A funny coincidence yesterday... unknown to Deb, I was on the phone with Terry and at the same time, unknown to me, she was ordering me a copy of his new book. I can hardly wait to get it!

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Terry,Gotta get me a copy.:icon_thumleft:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a very interesting book. It is too bad that area is currently off limits. Here is an old treasure story from the Cape area...it just kind of has the ring of truth to it, at least to me:

Dad Collins.png Boston Herald, 3-13-1927

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Terry, just got your book today from Amazon. Started reading it. WOW! Thanks man for providing me with a dozen new places to dig.

diverdan

Jun 16, 2011
Ellenton, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got your book yesterday. Very informative. I'm gonna grab my shovel and head out there this weekend. Permit? I don't need no stinkin permit!

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mouth of the Banana River would be the very head of the lagoon, OR, it could be at Dragon Point near Eau Gallie, depending on how you phrase your geography. The latter case would be the southern limit of Indian Harbour Beach (there is a wreck there... don't know anything more).

Banana Creek flows east-west from the head of the Banana River Lagoon, near the Saturn pads, 39A and B. The Pepper Haulover (Futch Haulover) is in that area, but on page 85 you see the silver bars and the Complex Wreck... could be a candidate.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Got my copy last night! Looks like I better not start reading until I have enough time to finish it. I'm afraid I won't be able to set it down!
Thanks Terry!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it now! looks like im in for some serious reading!!!!
chuck.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks for all the supportive comments!
There's one wreck in the book called the "Paper Wreck" by Lou Ullian and others which is a real sleeper, if in fact it actually exists. Anybody out there heard of it previously?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In an editorial by John Kelly, one of our local papers here, the Florida Today seems to be falling into bed with big money as they claim that commercial launch facilities for rockets need to be developed in the Shiloh area near Oak Hill. It is a given that roadways, canal ways, rail beds, terrestrial power and commo cabling, utility yards, chemical storage facilities, the VAB and other specifically designed structures already exist at the Space Center. These facilities are not monuments to past success that need to be preserved as though they were in the Valley of the Kings. They can be reused, and we have ALREADY paid for their construction. If Shiloh is used, any launch from there will require the shutdown of the entire Canaveral National Seashore park during a launch window. As of now, using the pads at False Cape only means that the southern half of the park at Playalinda is closed. Furthermore, any rocket destroyed at launch from Shiloh will rain caustic propellants into Mosquito Lagoon where they are not diluted as would be the case when a rocket is blown apart over the open sea. I also suspect that a great deal of private property on the mainland will fall under the ax of eminent domain as U.S. 1 will probably have to be re-routed around the safety zone, and there is a real possibility that archaeologically significant sites such as Ross Hammock might be destroyed during the construction as has been the case with so many other historically significant locations on Space Center property. This 'slash and burn' mentality is not necessary and it is a waste.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread