Should I dig the one way beep signals?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Alright guys. So I have a ghost town spot that I have been hunting 2 times already and I have a question. I hunt in a field that had an old theater and a dance hall that burned down but now it is just a plain old field. When going in all metal mode; I found that there was a lot of signals in the ground. Some with beeps that went both ways and when i swung my metal detector one way i head a beep and then another way I did not.

Should I dig the one way beep signals is my question.

Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
In that area, if you have time to go back repeatedly dig it all up. You NEVER know what you will find. Just my opinion.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
mastereagle22 said:
... if you have time to go back repeatedly dig it all up.

That is the key. An area like that will most likely have alot of iron junk, so if time is an issue or if you may not get back there again, then I would ignore the half-signals, chirps, double beeps, etc. and only dig the clean, good signals.

If the place is close and you always go there, then dig everything!! :icon_sunny:

Jay

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I just finished posting a lot of this on another thread.

Unless you want to dig iron I wouldn't run in all-metal mode.

Run in low discrimination and turn up the discrimination to test the target.

It all depends what you want to find.

If you're after mainly coins, listen for those small tight signals. Turn up the discrimination slowly while swinging the coil over the target.

In time you'll begin to learn where certain targets drop off.

And too, very deep coins often sound and read like IRON. This is especially true of copper coins, buttons, and gold.

Almost all my super DEEP coins only gave a decent one-way signal. And that signal was broken and the tone and meter said IRON or just higher than IRON.

Hope this helps.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Your question is like asking "please describe the note of C-minor, in print". It simply can't be done. It has to be heard. Your "one way signal" is an interpretation, that is intricately played into how you swung, speed of swing, how you did or didn't criss-cross, how you had your settings, etc.. etc... etc... There is simply no way for someone to comment on it, unless they were there hearing and seeing what you're doing. If you have any doubt, dig and see. No replacement for the school-of-hard-knocks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since your not hunting my spots,

yes dig them.

You may be hitting a bad target with a good target under or near it.

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
We agree, DIG EVERYTHING!!!!

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I don't dig the one-way signals. If I can't make the signal repeat from two angles, I don't dig. An 'iffy' signal to me is the ones that 'chatter' when you cross them but they'll still repeat from two sides. I get frustrated when I got after the ones that only repeat from one side and then you can't find them.

Just my opinion though.

Jason

Oh, one caveat though - on the beach and in the wood chips I dig everything since the diggin is so easy.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was demonstrating the use of a detector once to a few older gentilmen at a church picnic once in a local park.
I swung my dector next to a tree and got that usual double chirp of a pull tab. I explained to them the sound was indicating a pull tab and i didn't normally dig those kind of signals and just to prove to them, I dug it up.

It was a 1964 and 1965 quarter, side by side. One silver, one clad.

Imagine what a pocket spill sounds like......

Lesson learned.

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Al, it is true that sometimes, a bad signal turns out to be something good. But I'll bet you, that if you started digging all those bad signals, "just in case a silver quarter and clad quarter were stuck together again", you'd find that .... more often than not, your call of "junk" or "tab" was correct. Example: I can call "foil" in a junky inner city urban park time after time, and be correct 99% of the time, right? But yes, once in awhile, it'll be a gold ring or necklace or whatever.

It's not different than blackjack: Common sense tell you to "hold" when you have 20 in your hand right? But why not take another hit from the dealer? Afterall, the next card MIGHT be a one card, right? :o Or why not dig every single nail, afterall there MIGHT be a coin masked underneath there? See my point? At some point, given the type site you're hunting (relicky verses junky turf, or whatever), we all have to make cut-offs on our "what if's"

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're absolutely right Tom. I would not normally have dug that signal and do try to judge the place I'm at as to wether I'll dig or not.

I still dig a fair share of pull tabs and bottle caps, depending on the site. At least til I get a sense of what's under there. After so many junk digs, I ignore them as best as possible.

Al

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
A simple question. To dig or not to dig.

A simple answer. If you want it all - dig all signals.

A simple reality. Carefull what you wish for you just may get it.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I had a one-way signal last night that was reading in the good range then dropped to bad range. Decided to dig it and it turned out to be an 18Kt ring. Worth digging those signals if time is not an issue.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
The question depends on the situation..................in many, I would say yes. It can be a deeper coin that is next to some trash or on edge, or many other things. Dig a few and see what the result is.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have return access, dig it all. This is my determination when "coinshooting"....... swing left and right. If you only get one beep, move over and swing at a 90 degree from your other swings. If you are still getting a good beep AND the target i.d. does not change, dig it. TTC

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Ghost town, I'm digging everything. I once detected an old ghost town in Ca. had an iron signal and dug it up. Wound up being an old miner's i.d. tag, they'd wear these in the mine so in case something happened they could be identified.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
If you have return access, dig it all. This is my determination when "coinshooting"....... swing left and right. If you only get one beep, move over and swing at a 90 degree from your other swings. If you are still getting a good beep AND the target i.d. does not change, dig it. TTC

Good point

If you only have access for one day & can't cover it all
do as Terry suggests.

and cherry pick

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Idig all the one way signals. most of the time it is a wheat penny are IH. with the garrett 1500 don't know about other detectors. But you know dig everything you will get good and bad finds. Best of luck.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Coins on edge or corroded coins will often deliver only a one-way signal. In any area where there is a potential of good finds all signals should be dug. It's pointless to hunt in all metal if you're going to ignore a lot of the signals.

Bill

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
If you don't you are going to miss a lot of good coins/rings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread