Should we share leads?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand not wanting to give local locations that you plan on hunting but why are so many treasure hunters tight lipped about places they know about and are nowhere near? I ask because according to karlvonm there are more locations in a local area than will ever be searched in one lifetime, he's one of very few authors that shared a lot of leads. Personally I don't mind sharing any that I'm no where close to and know I'll never get to search, what do you guys think?

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your an evil evil man lol.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with you Neo. If I, for some reason, got a tip on something far away, I'd share with someone in that area to reconn. on each-of-our's behalf. You know, like if you got wind of a sidewalk demolition slated to occur, or something that you personally can not keep tabs on. Why let it go to waste ?

And you can make clear ahead of time that the person you share with, keeps you in the loop with the results of his reconn. So that if it's enticing enough, you can make the decision to do the long drive there or not.

For the lone-ranger types who never hunt with buddies, never share site tips, etc...., then invariably that will work both ways: So too will no one share with them. So it eventually works both ways in theory.

I have taken friends to locations where they've found gold coins. 4 or 5 by now to be exact. And ... in theory, those could have been MY gold coins if I'd kept the site all-to-myself. Yet conversely those exact same friends have turned me on to site tips, that I've now gone to and found goodies, including gold coins. So it's tit-for-tat sometimes in life.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree whatcha got?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all your members in Connecticut, Who stop looking for treasures because you are too busy to keep searching or no longer believe the story, please sent my a private email with info, and if any is find, I will give you a fair share.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I share leads in places where I have MD friends. I sometimes, out of boredom research their areas just in case I end up heading their way. It's always nice to have a site or 2 in your pocket before you get there. Locally I am tight lipped and normally hunt alone.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say this.

I had become so shy and reclusive over the years, the only times I would use my detectors was on my own property.

If not for the generosity of TNet members sharing hunts with me I'd still be hiding up the holler versus actually getting out on my own in the water and on land. We have some very decent members here and I don't mind sharing either.

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Next question. Seriously, each person can do what they want. I don't mind sharing with hunting buddies who do the same for me, but not everybody is into that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I share leads when it's someplace I know I'll never get to hunt, because of geography.

Otherwise- as Daffy Duck so eloquently stated,

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never share leads, but I do share my hunted out spots. No spot is ever completely hunted out, but some are pretty close to tapped out. I figure that will save them time and help them in the long run.

I also reveal what I've found in spots I've given up on. That way, they can make their own decision if they think a spot is worth trying once or twice anyway. You never know, maybe they'll pull out something good that I missed.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I only share leads when it's pillow talk.

She'll have to milk them out of me. :snorting:

So to the ladies, remember, sharing is caring. :love3:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is that we rarely know of any real "spots" in places we don't live in. Anyone can read dimestore novel treasure stories, but those aren't real "leads"

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to share a lot more, especially with new guys. I rarely ever got much back though so I pretty much just stopped accept for one other guy who I hunt with often. I don't blame anyone for clamming up since it's tough to find any good sites in our little town.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just lost two friends because of the pictures I shared of a spot on here. They both had my number but instead of calling me and asking me to take the pictures down they slammed me. GRANTED, I didn't find the spot and it has been hammered for the last couple of years by waders. HOWEVER, I am the only diver that has hit the area that I know of. I DIDN'T CARE if another diver came out and tried. I didn't think sharing would hurt. Except I didn't think that my post might attract more waders, which it didn't.

The trouble with old spots is once the stuff is gone, it is gone usually. Until they make a machine that goes deeper and makes the spot new again. I don't care if another diver hits this spot. I have hunted less than a quarter of it. Sure I have found over 260 pieces of silver and 35 pieces of gold in the last two months, but I can't get it all and I know it.

I think the problem on this forum and others is a few have done a lot of research to find old spots. A lot of treasure hunters don't want to do the research part. They just want to reap the rewards of a great spot. I do a little research but I mostly stumble upon fantastic spots. I can name many of them that I found on my own.

Last year I went on a road trip to a lake I thought was interesting. Actually three lakes. Took my boat out to find a possible promising spot in one of them and found it. Ran full throttle into the sand bar! Decided to try it and had blast. The shallow water was completely void of targets. Not a beep. However the deeper water gave up 19 gold rings and countless silver coins and rings.

When I came up to change tanks between dives, two detectorists were on shore and it looked like they just got there. I waved. One looked at me and then pointed me out to his partner, THEY LEFT. I had a good laugh.

Impossible for anyone to get it all. I am making road trips every year in Michigan now. Impossible for me to hit all 11 thousand lakes here. However, at this time I won't reveal a lake I have researched because I want to hit them if I am able. When I am not able I will reveal a whole lot to others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions