What's new

Show us your safe!

signal

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
592
Reaction score
430
Golden Thread
0
Location
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Post a picture of your safe! Vintage, modern, gun, floor, etc.

I am looking to get a safe and starting this thread so everyone can get an idea of what everyone is using. I saw some vintage safes on Craigslist that looked really cool, but trying to weigh something like that against a modern, LED lighting, fancier safe!
 
Don't get a safe, that's the first thing a thief will see and take. If you really want to protect your treasure get a big Styrofoam cooler fill it with your treasure and then duct tape it closed. Then write in big letters "Bio Hazard - Infected Blood/Tissue Samples" on the cooler. Your treasure will be safe forever.
 
It's irresponsible to own firearms and not have a safe. That may be good advice for your treasures but not your guns. The main thing you want to do is make sure you bolt down whatever safe you get. Most all safes can be pried open relatively quick with a pry bar once they are on their side. It's much harder if the thief can't move it. I've heard good things about liberty safes. Costco has cheaper cannon safes, they are pretty decent and are around $7-800.
 
I love the older safes, I'll try to post some pics of mine later.

If you're not in a hurry, and watch ebay, craig's list, auctions and estate sales, you can find a big beauty for half the price of a new "gun" safe, and much better quality than the drywall lined steel boxes they are peddling.

The last one I picked up, was from a small town's surplus auction, 4ft.w, 4ft. deep, and over 6ft. high, double doors, class "A" fire rated, and probably 30 to 40 years old, for $550. !

One challenge is moving them, I borrow a small tilt bed trailer, roll, winch, pry them on and off. All the big, older ones are on wheels.
 
I'm not showing anyone my safe.
 
I'll admit I have one. But its not at my home. And certainly no crowbar or anything else just about will open it. Can withstand a thermal lance for a hour..in other words, God himself would have a tough go of it. For the knowledgeable, its txtl60.

BC
 
I have 3 but here's the real "safe"... Model 70 300 Mag Winchester among some other "toys".
 

Attachments

  • #2.webp
    #2.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 120
Just a tip if contemplating buying one. Don't get the Sentry safes with a numeric pad. If you give it a good whack on the top of the numeric pad the bolt will jump & it's open. Took me 5 minutes to figure this out, so it should take a thief .2 seconds (the bad guys practice) Sentry has been aware of this for a long time, but profits rule as we all know.
 
If a person were to hide valuables of metal inside a wall of gypsum board, is there anyway to make said valuables unrecognizable to a metal detector?
I'm thinking of making a "smash n grab" hiding spot.
Safes are obvious.
Thanks
Peace ✌
 
If a person were to hide valuables of metal inside a wall of gypsum board, is there anyway to make said valuables unrecognizable to a metal detector?
I'm thinking of making a "smash n grab" hiding spot.
Safes are obvious.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Sure... just make sure all valuables are made of paper or plastic ...
Just like at grocery store... heh.
:)
Wood is classed in paper :P
 
I have had an idea - maybe more like a fantasy - of having some huge twisted metal, Mad Max-looking safe covered with bent and twisted steel, huge rivets like found on an old ship hull, and rebar and spikes. I want a safe that when seen, causes instant fear. I want a safe that is so heavy that it cant be moved with anything less than a forklift. It will have three locks to go through and three doors, the last being the original safe door.
 
Thanks ARRC.
I will liquidate to paper.
The "hardware" will still be a problem.
Peace ✌
 
Ahhh so you admit you have one ... heh heh heh. :)

Thar be pirates on te waters I say... pay mind how she lay... arrrg.

Send them pirates! They'll have to get past my slavering, vicious hellhound, Kaycee. Here is a pic of him after a porcupine encounter last fall. He saw a "kitty" in the woods and ran up to it to say hello and perhaps a mutual butt-sniffing, but the kitty turned out to be a porky, and the porky couldn't care less about the K-Dog. Kayce didnt know - he tried to sniff anyway, all he got was a single quill for all his effort. That poor puppy just don't get it.



What a sad sack, huh?
 
Just discovered that if walls constructed of gypsum, "drywall", are attached to hollow metal studs, (usually used for commercial purposes), the metal studs alone will show to a metal detector. Coins taped to a single metal stud read same as a void metal stud. Interesting...
Peace ✌
 
i got a sturdy safe. and let me tell you 99.99% of thieves wont get into this one. 100% of smash and grab thieves. this sucker is 7 gauge steel secured into a corner, reinforced under the house and secured with 1/2 carriage bolts. good luck! im not saying an extremely skilled thief can get into it im just saying anyone with the skills to do it aint trying to rob my house. heck the safe is worth more than everything i got in it. i also store black powder all around it so go ahead and try and use a blow torch :). now i just need to make sure i lock it
 
I've "looked into" vintage safes made by the Hamilton Safe Co. circa 1900. They are surely worth more than I have to put in.
Peace ✌
 
If a person were to hide valuables of metal inside a wall of gypsum board, is there anyway to make said valuables unrecognizable to a metal detector?
I'm thinking of making a "smash n grab" hiding spot.
Safes are obvious.
Thanks
Peace ✌
What about using a small breaker box? Just don't break any of the plates over the breaker slots, remove the buss bar(s) plenty of room behind that inner panel. OR you could just add a bogus breaker box in the closet like what's found in some apartments. Cup hooks in the studs to hold your goodies in bags and it' probably sound like a box with wiring running to it.
 
I know this might stir some debate but I do not own a safe. I have many guns and valuables but no safe. Reason being I know of someone who was killed at home in front of his family for not being able to open the safe fast enough for the perp. I know there's digital but I've never been in that situation and can't say if I would remember the code. Or say I wasn't home and someone else such as my wife had trouble opening it. I'm not going act like superman and say I wouldn't let it get to that point, cause you never know. My guns are easily accessible yet cannot be found throughout the house. Try hiding a safe. Just my opinion, based on past experience. Mike
 
It's irresponsible to own firearms and not have a safe. That may be good advice for your treasures but not your guns. The main thing you want to do is make sure you bolt down whatever safe you get. Most all safes can be pried open relatively quick with a pry bar once they are on their side. It's much harder if the thief can't move it. I've heard good things about liberty safes. Costco has cheaper cannon safes, they are pretty decent and are around $7-800.
I have multiple guns and no safe, guns are loaded and hidden through out my home. I also have no kids at home....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom