What's new

sidearms...who carries?

Hendo0601

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
257
Reaction score
457
Golden Thread
1
Location
California
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I went scouting a new location to detect and I found myself underneath an old bridge that is clearly a homeless camp and looked very very shady. Luckily it was unoccupied and I didn't really hang out hoping for the occupants to come back. There was evidence of very recent activity there, and I found myself wishing I was carrying. Not that I go out looking to shoot people, but I guess one never knows....I don't want to get murdered under a bridge for picking up buried pennies...

My question is, do you guys and gals regularly carry a sidearm when out detecting or treasure hunting? I'm sure I will get a wide variety of answers, but I am just curious.
 
I don't, but should some places...lots of guys do, personally, I am just not a gun guy...(damn my liberal upbringing)lol
 
I will be carrying as soon as I can get my' Carry Permit! Besides metal detecting, Ginseng and other medicinal Herb hunting and harvesting, I also Gold and Gem prospect. Where I prospect in Tennessee, there is a big male Cougar and I will no longer go there unless I am packing. Also, in the National Forest where I have Ginseng and Herb hunted, there are a lot of Ginseng Poachers who also carry and will shoot to keep from being arrested. There are also a lot of Black Bear and Rattlesnakes where I hunt. As soon as I get my' Permit, I will be packing my' Smith & Wesson "Performance Center" Model 25-10 .45 Long Colt.


Frank
 
Last edited:
a hand digger is better than nothing, well most of the time but then there are those times when you know that you are going to be in not the best of circumstances. better to have it and never need it than to be wishing that you had
 
Better to have it than not have it and need it....

That's pretty much my mentality. With my background I'm reasonably certain I can handle just about any situation that comes my way, but you just never know. Don't bring a Garrett digger to a gun fight....
 
Sometimes i do and some times I dont. I surprised a black bear once and he reared up into my face to the point of our noses touching. Most of our bears around here act more like big dogs than bears otherwise I would be dead and no firearm would not of helped that day because it happened so fast. Lucky for me he or she was more interested in eating trash verses killing me. Humans on the other hand are far more dangerous. I dont have a firearm hanging on my belt but always have one someplace close.
 
hey huntsman i had a cougar scare me one day here in tenn.it was early spring and i still do not go back there.
 
I never leave home without Mr. Glock. I even take him to church.
 
If it's that bad, is they're any thing really worth digging there?
 
Carrying is an enormous responsibility. Some might call me stupid for doing so, but living in Detroit I had a CCW for 5 years - until it expired.

And I never once carried.
 
Church packer also
 
Carrying is an enormous responsibility. Some might call me stupid for doing so, but living in Detroit I had a CCW for 5 years - until it expired.

And I never once carried.

You absolutely correct with that first sentence! Anyone who owns or carries a weapon should learn everything there is to know about it, everything there is to know about gun safety, know how to not just shoot it but to do so with accuracy and confidence and learn everything there is to know about what will happen if you ever have to pull it, discharge it or shoot someone. A Carry Permit does not give you a license to stupidty and lack of knowledge nor an excuse if you ever pull it and/or use it! I had to carry a loaded M1911 .45 in the U.S. Army when I was an Armorer and often carried loaded M16 while riding shotgun and guarding Sensitive and Top Secret loads that we were delivering to consignees all over West Germany.


Frank
 
In this world of shoot first and ask questions later we will all be armed patriots!

My great-great-great-great-great Grandfather, Francis Winstead was an armed Patriot. He was a First Sergeant and Minuteman in the Revolutionary War.


Frank
 
It seems like this question or one similar to pops up every month or every other month …. Then you hear the same thing …. YA Man i got a gun yup yup yup i do.:laughing9:. YA man .. I have all the man toys….
 
Last edited:
I always carry and have even before it was legal in Tennessee to do so.
 
It seems like this question or one similar to pops up every month or every other month …. Then you hear the same thing …. YA Man i got a gun yup yup yup i do.:laughing9:. YA man .. I have all the man toys….

Okay and....??:icon_scratch::dontknow:


Frank
 
That's the nice thing about the second amendment. We all have a right to own a firearm. I don't carry, but I could If I wanted to. If I felt the need to protect my family and myself. It is a personal choice and also carries a big responsibility to learn how to use it properly and safely. Most people don't realize that the police don't usually stop a crime from happening, but show up after the crime has already happened to clean up the mess and then pursue the perpetrator. Which is too late for you if it is a murder or vicious assault. If I were living in an area where this was a problem I would be more likely to have a firearm. Again it is a personal choice and am thankful we still have that choice.
 
My grandpa got his nose shot off with a gun. I can still remember what he said to me. He said, " Tim, careful with that gun it might be loaded. "
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom