I'm 77 years old, started hunting deer and carrying my own rifle at 7. For 70 years I've had unlimited access to firearms and ammunition. At age 16, in San Luis Obispo, Kalifornicate, I purchased my first pistol, and went to the high sheriff and got a carry permit -- yes, in California I got a carry permit at age 16, and I bought the Colt Huntsman .22 pistol with my paper route money, and my parents didn't have to co-sign or anything like that, although San Luis was a small town and the store owner knew me, I went to school with his son. Times have changed folks, and I don't think for the better. Here's what I'm trying to say. In 70 years I've only pointed a gun at someone twice, first time was on dock watch in the navy in a foreign country. Nothing came of it, if he was really a bad guy, he didn't stick around for me to find out. I had a Navy issued 1911 and bullets, but wasn't allowed to put the bullets in the gun unless I was shot in the heart, you know, liberal rules of engagement. I racked the gun like I was loading it, and who ever it was he left in a hurry and has given me something to laugh about thinking back on it over the years. For those not familiar with the military, "dock watch" means I was guarding US Navy property and the lives of my sleeping shipmates. The other time I pointed a gun somebody was when someone was fumbling and scratching at our front door at 2AM, and when I opened the door, the guy went cross eyed looking down the barrels of a double 12. He was drunk and his car was off the road, stuck, and he wanted to call for help. That's it, 70 years, and I still pack, at times where I'm not supposed to. I carry so much of the time I forget it's on me, and have felt the gun when inside the VA hospital, which could get me time in the slammer, and you better believe I beat feet out of there. I bought my first house 50 years ago, and I've had insurance on that and every house since then, and never collected a dime in insurance. I've been driving since I was 16, a 29 A model Ford coup with a 32 grill, and solid wheels, painted metalic green, cost me $50, which was $10 more than the gun. You could pack 6 kids into that car, if four of them were girls. Never mind, I'm a dirty old man. I've been driving cars for 61 years, and have probably sent $100,000 or more on car insurance. Not a dime have I ever got back. I take that back, I hit a deer once and the insurance fixed the car, and I a few years ago they replaced a broken windshield, that's the only times I remember turning in a claim in 61 years. But I still have insurance, and there is darn sure a bigger chance of me getting into a wreck than there is that I will pull a gun, but I still carry. Lately however, I got to wonder how bad a beating a person is supposed to take before shooting. I mean how long do you allow a person to pound your head into the concrete side walk, or if someone has kicked a car door onto your head and busted an eye socket, tries to take your gun, then rushes at you like he's going to finish the job, when are you allowed to defend yourself? I don't ever set out thinking I'm going to use the gun, it's just there, like house and car insurance. I avoid places where trouble is likely, but I or my family are not going to take a beating. I can't run or jump anymore, but if someone is shooting up the mall, or a theater, or restaurant I'm in, I fully intend to engage, which might get me killed, but I bet I'm a better shot, and he'll be ducking and running. Lawyer, "Why did you shoot the man 10 times?" Me, "Because the gun doesn't hold 11 bullets." The bad guy that thinks he doesn't have to worry about me because I'm and old fhardt on a cane is going to get a big surprise. I don't expect it will ever happen, but in my lifetime friends have had their house burn down, one never knows.