Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"If it's that bad is it even worth detecting there?"

I had no intention of going here, and in fact I didn't know it was there. I had to park on one side of the bridge, and rather than cross a very busy street I decided to go under and maybe detect in the water a bit so see what I could find. When I found the camp and all of the evidence it was inhabited (by some very thirsty folks by the amount of empty booze bottles) I decided not to detect there and move on down the river to the spot I originally found on Google earth.

I appreciate all of your responses!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm 77 years old, started hunting deer and carrying my own rifle at 7. For 70 years I've had unlimited access to firearms and ammunition. At age 16, in San Luis Obispo, Kalifornicate, I purchased my first pistol, and went to the high sheriff and got a carry permit -- yes, in California I got a carry permit at age 16, and I bought the Colt Huntsman .22 pistol with my paper route money, and my parents didn't have to co-sign or anything like that, although San Luis was a small town and the store owner knew me, I went to school with his son. Times have changed folks, and I don't think for the better. Here's what I'm trying to say. In 70 years I've only pointed a gun at someone twice, first time was on dock watch in the navy in a foreign country. Nothing came of it, if he was really a bad guy, he didn't stick around for me to find out. I had a Navy issued 1911 and bullets, but wasn't allowed to put the bullets in the gun unless I was shot in the heart, you know, liberal rules of engagement. I racked the gun like I was loading it, and who ever it was he left in a hurry and has given me something to laugh about thinking back on it over the years. For those not familiar with the military, "dock watch" means I was guarding US Navy property and the lives of my sleeping shipmates. The other time I pointed a gun somebody was when someone was fumbling and scratching at our front door at 2AM, and when I opened the door, the guy went cross eyed looking down the barrels of a double 12. He was drunk and his car was off the road, stuck, and he wanted to call for help. That's it, 70 years, and I still pack, at times where I'm not supposed to. I carry so much of the time I forget it's on me, and have felt the gun when inside the VA hospital, which could get me time in the slammer, and you better believe I beat feet out of there. I bought my first house 50 years ago, and I've had insurance on that and every house since then, and never collected a dime in insurance. I've been driving since I was 16, a 29 A model Ford coup with a 32 grill, and solid wheels, painted metalic green, cost me $50, which was $10 more than the gun. You could pack 6 kids into that car, if four of them were girls. Never mind, I'm a dirty old man. I've been driving cars for 61 years, and have probably sent $100,000 or more on car insurance. Not a dime have I ever got back. I take that back, I hit a deer once and the insurance fixed the car, and I a few years ago they replaced a broken windshield, that's the only times I remember turning in a claim in 61 years. But I still have insurance, and there is darn sure a bigger chance of me getting into a wreck than there is that I will pull a gun, but I still carry. Lately however, I got to wonder how bad a beating a person is supposed to take before shooting. I mean how long do you allow a person to pound your head into the concrete side walk, or if someone has kicked a car door onto your head and busted an eye socket, tries to take your gun, then rushes at you like he's going to finish the job, when are you allowed to defend yourself? I don't ever set out thinking I'm going to use the gun, it's just there, like house and car insurance. I avoid places where trouble is likely, but I or my family are not going to take a beating. I can't run or jump anymore, but if someone is shooting up the mall, or a theater, or restaurant I'm in, I fully intend to engage, which might get me killed, but I bet I'm a better shot, and he'll be ducking and running. Lawyer, "Why did you shoot the man 10 times?" Me, "Because the gun doesn't hold 11 bullets." The bad guy that thinks he doesn't have to worry about me because I'm and old fhardt on a cane is going to get a big surprise. I don't expect it will ever happen, but in my lifetime friends have had their house burn down, one never knows.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS ETERNAL VIGILANCE! Hay, I am 77 too. Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry whenever I am in the woods, which is quite often. We have mountain lions up here, and coyotes that travel in packs. I expect I'll get jumped one of these days while messing around an old cellar hole, but at least I might be able to fight 'em off.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
always carry a handkerchief, throw down gun/ knife like the good guys do. Just kidding fellows.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you "got", Keppy?
OK i will get it out of the way…. I have a , 357cal Ruger Vaquero , 22cal Ruger Bear cat pistol, 38 cal derringer made by Davis in Chino,Cal. whoever they are..And a Stevens 30-30 cal bolt action rifle .. Ruger semi auto 22 cal rifle .and last a 410 cal snake charmer shot gun by Sporting Arms of Littlefield Tx. And the question was who carries i only carry when i am in the woods .. i have a carry permit but only feel the need when in the woods or the desert..otherwise i really do not carry ….

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Only in the mountains or woods never anywhere else! Too much responsibilities if I ever have to pull the trigger!
Beretta and Ruger fan!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sidearms... who carries

OK i will get it out of the way…. I have a , 357cal Ruger Vaquero , 22cal Ruger Bear cat pistol, 38 cal derringer made by Davis in Chino,Cal. whoever they are..And a Stevens 30-30 cal bolt action rifle .. Ruger semi auto 22 cal rifle .and last a 410 cal snake charmer shot gun by Sporting Arms of Littlefield Tx. And the question was who carries i only carry when i am in the woods .. i have a carry permit but only feel the need when in the woods or the desert..otherwise i really do not carry ….

Glad to hear you have some firearms sir. The way it was going there for a minute, I thought you were going to say you had a arsenal of barbie dolls.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only in the mountains or woods never anywhere else! Too much responsibilities if I ever have to pull the trigger!
Beretta and Ruger fan!
Rusty, if you ever have to pull it, it is in defense of yours or someone else's life, that is the purpose.....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only Carry While In my Auto or on my Property,
As I am NOT legal to get a CCP or GWCP, in Ga, You need the permit to Open Carry as Well.

No I,m not A Convicted felon Or Ever Been Charged or Found Guilty of Domestic Abuse.

I can not get a GWCP cause of a Vague Stupid Law, That the good folks at Georgia Carry . Org & I need to get Fixed.:icon_salut:

But I would Carry on about half of my hunts if I Could.
Davers

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I have never felt I needed to, at the places I go anyway.Only thing I have to watch out for is copperheads and bees.Too me it would just be more baggage to carry.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beretta and Ruger fan!

I hope if it came too that RustyGold I'd be packing ..... I'd like to have this problem in the aftermath. That's why "we" (responsible folks) carry.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry when I feel it might be necessary. Not much happens in this little town; but one never knows. If I leave town, yes, it's always in the vehicle. If I get out and not sure how safe it is, I carry. I've had CCW license for just over 3 years.
Also, I keep a double barreled 20 gauge at the end of my bed; with the 000 buckshot, I feel comfortable.

silverdollar

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2014
penn valley ca.
Detector(s) used
fisher f4,garrett 350,garret at gold,whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
living in cali and all the pot farms,yes sir you better believe it.ya never know you just might cross that property line by mistake and uhoh your on a farm.specialy around creeks and water in general,they gotta pipe it in somehow.i tripped over a pipe one time buried under leaves and I made outta there faster then I went in.you never know it may make things worse so you gotta be carefull.some guys who carry think there all that until it really comes down to using it.thats the question.if you think you can deal with the matter at that time by all means carry.scary thought for a sane person.

RileyDigger

Jul 13, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a firearm with me almost constantly, I hold a lifetime carry permit and I didn’t buy it just for the looks or bragging rights.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Open carry is legal in most States. I always carry detecting as does the wife. Most days I'm packing openly. Local stores and restaurants don't question it. If they post signs for weapons free areas--I go elsewhere. Police know me and just wave. State Police stopped me once and left after a short conversation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions