silencer and high disc settings... do they affect depth.. bottle caps.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting indeed. sounds like a lot of what we have been believing is not accurate and I think that we all need to do some testing for ourselves with the settings that we usually use and then do some silencer and disc settings to really know just how much or how not much these settings do for us. Thanks CD.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm famous! Lol. Great video. Definitely need to make sure the unmasker does not have silencer. That disc at 60 is insane. Never would have thought that.

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would have also been nice to see is a bottle cap at different silencer settings. I have too much snow on the ground to do a test.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would have also been nice to see is a bottle cap at different silencer settings. I have too much snow on the ground to do a test.

yeah it would if I find one I wiil test it out.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. 20171209_215550.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc 60 is perfect. I may change my 3 tone program to a 2 tone and run the disc up and test. Calabash, are you running the V4 on the controller or the V4.1 Beta? FYI, I updated to V4.1 Beta a few days ago and have noticed improved performance in general (especially with the MI-6 pinpointer). I wonder if the V4 software adjusted the filters to work better on deep targets? Or maybe the high frequency coils work differently. I did this same test a year ago with the LF coils and found that Disc above 10 started to affect depth. At Disc 20 depth was not good. Either way the video opens up some new ideas. Great video!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
v4. They didn't have to many crown caps in the civil war and before... lol its not the program its the sites...

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for another useful demonstration Calabash. Will play around with Silencer and Disc probably later today and for sure tomorrow at a highly mineralized lake shore loaded with old/new caps, tabs, lead weights and plenty of silver and copper hiding in between. Signal unmasking is where the keepers hide. I am starting to memorize your garden so I think it is safe to say I need to get out in the field more! Would love to have a test garden but every test would be about the effects of EMI in my back yard. Most signals in my area, probably 99%, are under 8 inches inches so I don't worry too much about depth in most locations. Digging a 12 inch hole with even a shovel can be a challenge in the hard ground. Thanks again for the videos and if you need an assortment of bottlecaps to test I can PM you directions to my secret spot.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Another informative and useful vid Calabash! Silencer (and other filters) will tend to only cause you significant problems at the ragged end of the signal. You can basically max out all of your filters on a silver quarter at 4 inches and you are still going to hit it no matter what your settings are. But as you show, the deep targets at the edge of detection can get filtered out.

After watching your vid, I also have changed the Disc setting to "60" on all of my programs :laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the above post, Jeff except the disc at 60 part. Just because CD showed it can be done, not sure there is really any upside to doing so and only downside as you described for ragged edge targets. What do you think disc at 60 brings to the table vs. Notch from the disc setting to 60 (or wherever desired). What am I missing?

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I liked the above post, Jeff except the disc at 60 part. Just because CD showed it can be done, not sure there is really any upside to doing so and only downside as you described for ragged edge targets. What do you think disc at 60 brings to the table vs. Notch from the disc setting to 60 (or wherever desired). What am I missing?

V, I was joking. I should have used several smileys :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:. As hard as I try, I can't think of an advantage of using Disc at 60 over tones or notch. When I do want some Disc, I typically use it in the 6 to 8 range. I like to use the Iron Volume adjustment so a little bit of Disc is needed.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man my eyes suck, completely missed that smiley. You got me good. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread