What's new

Silver is Going Crazy!!

Sand Swinger

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2025
Messages
711
Reaction score
1,823
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field PI
Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab X-Terra Elite
Previously owned: Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro & XS-2 Pro,
Garrett ATPro & ACE 350,
Fisher 1220X, White's Coinmaster IV, Heathkit.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Silver crossed $60/oz today and it’s now just a few cents away from hitting $61/oz. It's gonna be a wild ride!

1765312046437.webp
 
Upvote 0
Here is my silver investment for today Meek, but appreciated!🏴‍☠️
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
Prices like this make me want to be a silver hunter!
View attachment 2240813
I've got a couple permissions lined up, 1925 house and 1900 farmette with 11 acres. Gonna break out the X-Terra Elite and go back a bit to my coinshooting roots, see if I can pluck some silver and IHP's from those 2 locations. The 11-acre farmette can keep me busy for a very long time, lol. But since both are owned by relatives, I can pretty much go anytime, as long as the ground isn't frozen, lol.
 
Hard to believe a silver quarter is 16.oo+ A silver dime is almost 7.oo- And a Silver half is 33.oo+ ... I use to give away my war nickels too... they are 5.oo now. All the silver I dig comes from brackish waters.
{D6A7DE87-61CB-42CE-AC2D-1610F8C3E8EC}.webp
 
I have in the past sent a lot of stuff to this refinery. But I started to question them on quotes last fall. Then they started to play games with quotes.
I see that CRA (IRS of Canada) uncovered a huge tax issue and hit them with a $189 million reassessment which put them into insolvency.
They're operating but not with any more of my refining needs.


Cause of Financial Problems
The CCAA (Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act) filing in October 2020 was a direct result of these tax issues, which threatened the company's cash flow and rendered it insolvent.
  • Refusal of Tax Refunds: The CRA refused to pay large amounts of Input Tax Credits (ITCs) owed to the company since August 2018. The regular flow of these refunds was integral to the refinery's daily operations and cash flow.
  • Massive Reassessment: The CRA issued reassessments to Express Gold Refining in excess of $189 million, related to the period from June 1, 2016, to October 31, 2018.
  • "Carousel Scheme" Allegations: The CRA alleged that the company was involved in a "carousel scheme," a type of tax fraud, which led to the audits and reassessments.
  • Enforcement Action: The CRA initiated enforcement steps against the company's assets, which had the legal effect of a judgement and prompted the need for creditor protection to continue operating and challenge the tax claims in court.

Resolution
The CCAA process allowed the company to continue operating while litigating with the CRA in Tax Court. The dispute was eventually resolved through a "Global Settlement" reached between the company and the CRA, leading to the termination of the CCAA proceedings in July 2025.
 
I have in the past sent a lot of stuff to this refinery. But I started to question them on quotes last fall. Then they started to play games with quotes.
I see that CRA (IRS of Canada) uncovered a huge tax issue and hit them with a $189 million reassessment which put them into insolvency.
They're operating but not with any more of my refining needs.


Cause of Financial Problems
The CCAA (Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act) filing in October 2020 was a direct result of these tax issues, which threatened the company's cash flow and rendered it insolvent.
  • Refusal of Tax Refunds: The CRA refused to pay large amounts of Input Tax Credits (ITCs) owed to the company since August 2018. The regular flow of these refunds was integral to the refinery's daily operations and cash flow.
  • Massive Reassessment: The CRA issued reassessments to Express Gold Refining in excess of $189 million, related to the period from June 1, 2016, to October 31, 2018.
  • "Carousel Scheme" Allegations: The CRA alleged that the company was involved in a "carousel scheme," a type of tax fraud, which led to the audits and reassessments.
  • Enforcement Action: The CRA initiated enforcement steps against the company's assets, which had the legal effect of a judgement and prompted the need for creditor protection to continue operating and challenge the tax claims in court.

Resolution
The CCAA process allowed the company to continue operating while litigating with the CRA in Tax Court. The dispute was eventually resolved through a "Global Settlement" reached between the company and the CRA, leading to the termination of the CCAA proceedings in July 2025.
I can never seem to wrap my head around this type of scheming, fraud, etc. They're a refinery, there's PLENTY of business, they should be able to operate legitimately and make gobs of $ the right way. Totally boggles my mind.
 
In the immortal words of Fred Flintstone: “slowly we turn, inch by inch, step by step”. :icon_thumright:

1768409348069.webp
 
Silver crossed $60/oz today and it’s now just a few cents away from hitting $61/oz. It's gonna be a wild ride!

View attachment 2236822 Unreal, I scored these two maybe six months ago
Got it for practically free! I’ve been organizing my silver, came across these and some candlesticks check it out🏴‍☠️
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4598.webp
    IMG_4598.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4599.webp
    IMG_4599.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Got it for practically free! I’ve been organizing my silver, came across these and some candlesticks check it out🏴‍☠️
This has no sentimental or family connection value at all, surely scrapple
Close to 500 bucks😳🙏🏻🤩
 
Got it for practically free! I’ve been organizing my silver, came across these and some candlesticks check it out🏴‍☠️
Sometimes, those gorgeous pieces can be torture, lol. On one hand, you have a valuable old ring or old Sterling bowl, pot, etc., but on the other hand, the pieces are so unique, original, and examples of craftsmanship that's no longer seen these days. So, we have something valuable, but also beautiful and something that would be a shame to melt, as melting would destroy that history, never to be seen again. So, what do we do? Torture I tell ya. I don't think I'd be able to sell for melting but might be able to sell to a collector or someone who would appreciate the piece and not just buy to melt & make a quick buck. Decisions, decisions, lol.
 
Got it for practically free! I’ve been organizing my silver, came across these and some candlesticks check it out🏴‍☠️
Boom! Love that big stuff!
Some of that sterling ware has dense fillers in the base, something you may want to check out. I do know most candlestick holders are.
 
Sometimes, those gorgeous pieces can be torture, lol. On one hand, you have a valuable old ring or old Sterling bowl, pot, etc., but on the other hand, the pieces are so unique, original, and examples of craftsmanship that's no longer seen these days. So, we have something valuable, but also beautiful and something that would be a shame to melt, as melting would destroy that history, never to be seen again. So, what do we do? Torture I tell ya. I don't think I'd be able to sell for melting but might be able to sell to a collector or someone who would appreciate the piece and not just buy to melt & make a quick buck. Decisions, decisions, lol.
Melt baby melt! If you don't the kids will.. ☠️
 
Sometimes, those gorgeous pieces can be torture, lol. On one hand, you have a valuable old ring or old Sterling bowl, pot, etc., but on the other hand, the pieces are so unique, original, and examples of craftsmanship that's no longer seen these days. So, we have something valuable, but also beautiful and something that would be a shame to melt, as melting would destroy that history, never to be seen again. So, what do we do? Torture I tell ya. I don't think I'd be able to sell for melting but might be able to sell to a collector or someone who would appreciate the piece and not just buy to melt & make a quick buck. Decisions, decisions, lol.
Oh, I’m not selling anything yet!!!🏴‍☠️
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom