What's new

silver thingy...

Pickpan

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Looks like a salt shaker top with no holes. What do you suppose? It's the size of a dime and roughly 3/4" tall. It has a threaded post inside and am thinking a cap of some sort. Pickpan...
silv007.jpg

silv008.jpg

silv010.jpg
 
I found something like this on a high school field---I think it might be from a brass marching band instrument--
 
Upvote 0
aka said:
I found something like this on a high school field---I think it might be from a brass marching band instrument--
Hey Prof! I think you nailed it. I was on an old hight school field and didn't find a single thing but this and a few bolts that I suppose fell off a mower over the years. Thanks buddy! Solved :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Don't think this has been solved yet.

What aka, the prof found may be a cover for a instrument valve. Photos by Pickpan are NOT instrument valve covers, which would have threads on the inside of the silver cover as well.

I'm guessing this may a silver cover for a cane, which might have a central screw that would allow this cover to be screwed onto it.

An instrument valve cover would not have a central screw in it. That's where the valve would be swivelling at.

I suggest this is a silver cane cover.
 
Upvote 0
you welcome, Pickpan, now, what instrument? flute? trumpet? cornet? flugalhorn!! tuba (NOT)---or what Tuberale said---
p.s.- does anybody know what the pitch adjuster on a flute looks like?-
 
Upvote 0
I have some "instrumental" friends I will show it to and see what they think. I'm "leaning on the cane" theory for now. Both great suggestions for sure! I mean finding it where the Prof mentioned is rather close to home. I'll post later tonight what the instrumentalists say. Pickpan...
 
Upvote 0
aka said:
you welcome, Pickpan, now, what instrument? flute? trumpet? cornet? flugalhorn!! tuba (NOT)---or what Tuberale said---
p.s.- does anybody know what the pitch adjuster on a flute looks like?-
On a flute, the mouthpiece is pulled every so slightly outward, causing a longer column of air and lowering the pitch.
 
Upvote 0
yeah--- that's what I had in mind---good show, Montana Jim!
 
Upvote 0
Nice ID...... MJ

For those wondering how the crown attaches to an open hole flute...... Here's how it attaches (may be differences between brands).
Flute Crown.webp
1=Crown. 2=cork. 3=front plate. 4=back plate. 5=Threaded rod. (This is permanently fixed to the front plate.)
flute crown 2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Oh darn, If I had seen this post sooner I could have saved you all the trouble! I see these every other day - In Band class (Yes, on the flutes) :D
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim, you haven't lost your touch. GREAT ID! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Dont forget to green check the thread Pickpan.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom