Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ol' cat is getting old. I really skipped the summer season, haven't View attachment IMG_1410.jpg View attachment IMG_1412.jpg been feeling all that well. Soooo....a few weeks ago a few of us started going over some of our old honey holes. We went to some of best areas from last year. A couple we had hit so hard so didn't find much. Another was just a plain bust.
ance of actually finding something. A few of us found minies ( I did not find any.) I headed with one friend up a little hill and got a nice, flat c
The third site, which I have taken a few people two was looking like a disappointment also, however the farmer had (gasp) actually turned the soil so now there was a better cholonial button in amongst some coal scraps and a lot of iron nails. It took forever but I finally got a nice silver cufflink, a few more buttons and a breast plate or horse tack piece, it's hard to tell as it is heavy stamped brass with a lead fill. A Rev War military button was found on the site. This was just a day ago.

I kept circling the small area and got a solid 92 signal on the Deus, which is normally either silver, quarter sized or a square of aluminum. I called my bud over with his new Equinox and his machine saw it and he interpreted it as a minie ball at an 18 on the Equinox. It was a nice sized, solid piece. I took a huge bite of dirt out and flipped the muddy plug over. Out pops a 1772 2 Escudo coin! Of course, I didn't have my glasses on and couldn't see what it was lying on the ground so yelled at my friend, what is it? What is it? After all I can't see what the thing was! The reve View attachment IMG_1416.jpg howed. He picked it up and at that point I think I because speechless as he said I didn't react much. Well, surprise will do that to you.

We also found a lot of other cool early pieces. The pottery is 18th century but we didn't find much of it. Enjoy. View attachment IMG_1410.jpg

Upvote 146

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an awesome 1772 Gold 2 Escudo find! It is definitely a Banner find but you might want to edit the opening post in the Thread as the story is all broken up and pics of the Obverse and Reverse of the 2 Escudo side by side would be great.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats on that 2 escudo gold - Banner all the way! Wonderful coppery peripheral patina look on that coin. Wonderful to see such a coin this way & not cleaned.

I can Identify with the aging & eyesight too. I gave up this summer not for the old knees but for the sweat running into the eyes and on the glasses. If you need help carrying out those heavy gold coins, hey, I'm not too far away...

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That will put the perk back in your step! NICE

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner to say the least.
Nothing beats that coin in 2018
Congrats

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! Banner for sure! It looks like it's in awesome shape! Kick a$$ find! :icon_thumleft: Congrats!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, that's a beauty that even Jimmy Durante would be proud of!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smoky I am so happy for you! As you know that’s banner all day long but also I am officially making you Queen of metal detecting. That is the most beautiful coin I’ve ever seen my life. You still got it girl :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang nice find! Do you have anything left on your bucket list? I always thought digging up a cannon would be fun. Haha Just kidding you. You are a good hunter in an obviously good area.
Congrats

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains, I think the bucket list is over. I have found in no particular order, 100 marked Rev War buttons, plus a mold to one, 1 reales, 2 reale cob, 1 reale cob, 2 escudo, 1793 US half cent (wasted), numerous other early US coppers, early (icky) US dime, 1774 Gold Guinea, US $5 gold coin at the beach no less, 100 Civil War buttons, mostly Union, bullets, more bullets, and more bullets, Confederate plates, Union plates, a few war of 1812 buttons, intact early bottles, never found a "key" date to any coin, Hundreds of flat buttons. Lots of stuff I've never found, like a 2 cent piece, but oh well. I started looking about 1967 or so. Never found a half reale either. It's getting harder to find good sites, which has been the key to my success. Two of my sites still get plowed. One very deep with an 18" plow, the other about 9" or so.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ole cat has struck again. All the cat needs is a pinpointer and a crooked stick to find the goods....All I can say is wow!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just get my hens to scratch the dirt in the right spot.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin find. It looks awesome! [emoji16][emoji106]

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1700’s automatic banner, worth?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, we're not in the 1700's in case you hadn't noticed. Same place you and I were at a year and a half ago. Found some colonial flat buttons and forged iron in one spot and I think the groundhog dug this out. It was right outside its hole. Can't be sure though. Lots of coal up there falsing and hot rocks too.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is freakin awesome! Top of the top shelf! Congrats!!!!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful coin! Amazing....

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely bee-u-ti-full coin, can you send me a map to where I can find one?:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread