What's new

Small buckle w/anchor - Colonial?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks.
I hunted with Andy, Chris, and Joe last Saturday in a soybean field where there used to be a Colonial house. I didn't find squat, or so I thought. I was cleaning out my pouch tonight and forgot about this little buckle. After a light brushing I noticed not only is it in very nice shape, but it has a small anchor stamped into it.
Any idea what kind of buckle?
Age?
What the anchor symbol means?
Thanks & happy holidays,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-164S.webp
    MVC-164S.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,059
  • MVC-166S.webp
    MVC-166S.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • MVC-165S.webp
    MVC-165S.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,020
Nice buckle doug that thing looks cherry. Hope we can find stuff this weekend when we come up. looks like somekind of horse harness buckle but thats not an educated guess. ;D
 
Upvote 0
You sneaky little... :wink:

Can't believe you forgot about this thing! It's fantastic Doug - looks too small to be horse tack (I think). Possibly an old garter clip?
 
Upvote 0
I think its a navy issue.I found one a while back.Lots of old navy buckles .Cool find,i think its from around ww1
 

Attachments

  • buckle anchor.webp
    buckle anchor.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • mines.webp
    mines.webp
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,700
Upvote 0
mave2535 said:
Nice buckle doug that thing looks cherry. Hope we can find stuff this weekend when we come up. looks like somekind of horse harness buckle but thats not an educated guess. ;D

Thanks Chris.
Looking forward to seeing you clowns Saturday. I have three spots we can hit.
-Doug-

Elf Hunter DD-777 said:
You sneaky little... :wink:

Can't believe you forgot about this thing! It's fantastic Doug - looks too small to be horse tack (I think). Possibly an old garter clip?

Andy,
After your Colonial KG copper find I was embarrassed to post it. :'( I'll trade you this buckle & 5 CW bullets for that coin you found. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

RELICDUDE07 said:
I think its a navy issue.I found one a while back.Lots of old navy buckles .Cool find,i think its from around ww1

Thanks RD.
Any idea of the age?
Thanks,
Doug
 
Upvote 0
I'm sure someone will know for sure, but I somehow think small anchors are trademarks/hallmarks, and not related to Naval? Think I have one or two also somewhere.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Silver British naval officer's seal from the time of Nelson, dateable to 1794 (London hallmark) Another navy buckle ....
 

Attachments

  • 494.webp
    494.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 3,149
  • navybuck.webp
    navybuck.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 3,365
Upvote 0
Evidently some buckles with small anchors on the backside are trademarks/hallmarks for manufacturer's, here is one for a company (North & Judd) that was in existence starting around 1812 and I believe into the 1960s, their hallmark was a small anchor on buckles, spurs and other items, usually horse related.

I believe that a buckle that has no naval design on the front part that it is neither a military item nor was it even meant to be a patriotic item, just a hallmark of the brass manufacturer.

Don
 

Attachments

  • anchor NorthJudd.webp
    anchor NorthJudd.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,602
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I'm sure someone will know for sure, but I somehow think small anchors are trademarks/hallmarks, and not related to Naval? Think I have one or two also somewhere.

Don

Don,
Thanks for that info. I think you may be onto something there. I found this item pictured out in the horse pasture earlier this year at the plantation house I detect at. It measures 14mm. I think it is a button. :icon_scratch:
-Doug-
 

Attachments

  • Anchor button.webp
    Anchor button.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Anchor button.webp
    Anchor button.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 0
That is a horse button for sure ;D Dons right about the hallmarks,i have some silver spoons with anchor marks..
 

Attachments

  • anchorbuktungsmall2.webp
    anchorbuktungsmall2.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 3,254
Upvote 0
Thanks for this info guys. :thumbsup:
Elf Hunter DD-777 said:
If you throw in that 9X8 coil - it's a deal... :tongue3: ;D

How about an 8" stock Tesoro coil? Or I could just add another 1" of modeling clay to one side & we'll call it a 9 x 8. :tongue3:
Deal?
 
Upvote 0
Thats a hard one mm,with so many anchors to choose from :D.... Someone may find the exact buckle for ya....Keep up the vids .Modern miner here :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • Gorham003.webp
    Gorham003.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,231
  • mark1092.webp
    mark1092.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 3,296
  • Gorham004.webp
    Gorham004.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,203
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
Thats a hard one mm,with so many anchors to choose from :D.... Someone may find the exact buckle for ya....Keep up the vids .Modern miner here :thumbsup:

So many anchors, so little time. ;D
Thanks RD.
I'll be babysitting Andy, Joe, and Chris this Saturday on my home turf. Wish me luck. :thumbsup:
Happy holidays,
Doug
 
Upvote 0
I think there is some confusion here between "Hallmarks" and "Trademarks." Hallmarks are typically on precious metal items and are part of a code used by the manufacturer to describe the item - year made, place made, etc. Trademarks/Makers marks are marks placed on an item to ID the manufacturer. An Anchor on an item is most likely the "trademark" of the manufacturer.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
The Deuber Case Co. used the small anchor as a gold filled hallmark in the 1800's. Tony
 
Upvote 0
If that's Colonial I'll eat it for breakfast tomorrow. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
brass goods having brass maker "trade mark" anchor design is not surprizing --many sea going items were made of brass -- due to its corrision resistance (salt water & sea air are murder on iron) so often a lot of the brass makers work was sea related items .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom