What's new

Small Stone Ave

pigeonman

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
255
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
Location
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a small size stone axe a friend found here in Salem Co. recently. were these made for the children or were these working tools for the adults? i believe you don't see many of these also? any info appreciated
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0420.webp
    DSC_0420.webp
    292.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0429.webp
    DSC_0429.webp
    329.5 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0
Very cool. Im no expert but judging by its size it looks like the type used by a medicine man to test reflexes by striking it on the knee. Hope someone knows what it really is.
Awesome find.
 
looks like this one has everyone stumped. the field where found has been very productive thru the years
 
PigeonMan,

You posted this one in a forum for Central & South American relics, you should post it in the Native American relics forum.

Nice little axe!

Joshua
 
Looks like it may have been used for knocking small dry branches off of tree's for firewood gathering, that is the best I can say.
 
I really don't know much about stone axes, even though I have a few...I even have a couple of small ones, but none that small...I have a personal view or opinion on the small axes...I personally believe that they are children's toys designed to teach a child how to use a larger one when they grow up...But I could be wrong...
 
How much weight in an axe would you want to carry on a hunt?
I have used a small iron/ steel bitted one to split a few pelvis on deer.
While it would hurt to get bonked in the head with ...If not designed for portability it was well crafted for a Squaw ,or youth tool.
 
I moved thread to North American Indian Artifact forum. Nice double bit axe, maybe squaw axe.
 
Nice find, probably prehistoric. And they would have used these as an all around tool/weapon.
 
A tool to fit the job. Trick is what was the job? Great looking stone axe.
 
Iv only personally seen one other axe similar to that one found here in Maryland I also thought they were probably used for chopping smaller branches and like others pointed out a small axe comes in handy for hunting and would be nice and light.
 
IMG_20130808_200708.webp

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!
 
No, they are Missouri.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
 
Beautiful little axe. I have personally seen a couple found here on the Delmarva peninsula, and have heard of a few others. I think they could perhaps have been ceremonial or for display rather than functional. The only reason I say this is because of the ones I have seen or heard of, they have all seemed to be nearly perfect, and none were beat up as if they had been used much. I suspect if they had been used by children they probably would not have survived long in good condition?
 
Who knows what it was used for but it sure is a nice one. Mystery ax
 
Looking at it next to the quarter it looked realy small to me. Smaller then the ones shown by a another poster on his hand. Thinking maybe it was for symbolic or ritual purposes. Just guessing. Definitely a mystery ax.
 
Some woodworking jobs required small woodworking tools. This small full groove axe is 2 3/4".

The two celts are each 1 1/2" long. The one on the left was simply crudely fashioned from a pebble. The green one on the right has a bit virtually obliterated, but the furthest extension has a little nib of the bit remaining, so it was just as small, and not longer. These must have been socketed, and used on jobs requiring a small wood cutting tool...

IMG_8399.webp

IMG_8400.webp
 
IMG_5866.webp

2 3/8" long full groove, granite, with unique knob on top by groove. Pf Jay. Co. Indiana

IMG_4180.webp
 
Not a kids toy!!! Resources were TOO valuable. Like others have said, right tool for the right job and prob made for traveling purposes. btw it's a beaut!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom