Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it is cool the thread is still going on. '...what hath Molly wrought...' Very informative. I won't have any pics to post until about next May, when I go back to Oklahoma to visit. And Merry Damn Christmas, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, Happy Hannukah, quite a Kwanzaa, most glorious coming of the equinox, and to everybody that don't recognize the holiday, you're still invited over to eat because we all recognize good food. Whew, hope I did not leave anyone out.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came across this picture and thought it would be great to post. Not sure if this is true or put together, but either way it is a great shot.

Snake and bird.jpg

God bless
Peter

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scarey very scarey! Your right probably put togeather but, like you said a good pic! Thanks ! ;D

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys and Gals,

These pics were sent to me in an email, hope you like. Dont know where they were taken, but definately in South Africa somewhere.

Snake in tree1.jpg

Snake in tree2.jpg

God bless
Peter

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to say, yes we do have adders here in the UK, it's not usually fatal, although it can be to a dog sometimes. They are found in some parts of the UK (not all) and where it's known to inhabit, the local hospitals keep some of the anti venom as a precaution. Molly I wasn't aware of the black widow spider over here, maybe I misread you. We don't have any venomous spiders here. ...thank goodness.

U.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn, Good mornin! Yep we have nasty little Black Widows and Brown Recluse here both are nasty little things, just google what they can do to ya!

Attachments

• BlackWidowSpider.jpg
    BlackWidowSpider.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 340
  • brown-recluse-spider.jpg
    brown-recluse-spider.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 388

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi 4-H,

Wow that is one heck of a lot of rattle snakes..... oh and a great picture..... can you give us some details into this story?

God bless
Peter

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pgill said:
Hi 4-H,

Wow that is one heck of a lot of rattle snakes..... oh and a great picture..... can you give us some details into this story?

God bless
Peter
Sure. It was sent to my friend in South Carolina by a friend of his who emailed this photo to him and his buddy's stating he will not use his deer stand this year due to this problem he encountered.
And if any one was intyerested they could use the stand the remainder of the year. The man stated "My heart just can't take another day like this."

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Umm has this topic burnt out now ??? ??? Hi everyone :icon_thumleft:

God bless
Peter

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
RGINN said:
And one more. The bullsnake, the wannabe gangmember of the reptile world. They wish they were rattlesnakes, but they're harmless. Pretty intimidating sometimes, until you get to know them.

What a GREAT shot!! :icon_thumright:

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Hey, does anyone know why dogs seam to deal with rattler bites better then humans? I grew up on a 45 acre place in the country and our dogs used to get bite all the time. Usually on the nose, then their head would swell to twice it's regular size. But if you gave them plenty of water and made sure they could chill in the shade for about 3-4 days they would be just fine. Looking back now we probably should have taken them to the vet but we didn't. They always seem to get over it just find though. I have heard tons of stories however of humans losing fingers and toes from a rattler bite or, if it was a young rattler, almost dieing. More food for thought on an already interesting topic.

TG

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Well,

He aint no King snake , but he thinks he is king of the house!! This is my 3 year old Iggy w/his best freind the cat. He is not a big fan of the dogs but he loves that old cat. They share that little patch of sunlight for warmth in the winter.

Twig.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 307
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 307
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 295

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: looks like there is still life in this topic afterall :icon_thumright:

Texasgopher, I do not have an answer for you, but I have heard similar things happening here in South Africa when a dog has been bitten by a puffadder, to man it causes unreal damage, but this one dog I heard about, limped badly on his leg which also was very badly swollen, and he was dragging it behind him when he walked..... a week later he was back to normal ??? But I have also heard off many dogs getting bitten and dying ??? Good question.

Bent-Twig, just love that lizard..... What type is it and where does it come from? Oh and BTW, I just love the masks and carvings.... are they aztec? We get lots of them here in South Africa which the Zulu's and Xhosa's etc make. Would love to see more pics of those masks ::)

God bless
Peter

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rattlesnake tastes like rattlesnake.

Decades ago on the farm, my brother came home with a dead one, which he promptly skinned and cleaned and put in the freezer. Months later it was still there.

I got hungry one day and fished it out and fried it in our home made version of Shore Lunch. It was delicious.

It does NOT taste like chicken, except maybe as opposed to say, raccoon.

I do not like to work around snakes. I remember there being a rock pile a section corner was in, which I needed to 'shoot'. As I approached the rock pile, I could smell rattler and figured that there was one in there. I got the excavator and he moved the rock pile with a back hoe, but the vibration was enough to keep the snake down in the hole, which was now covered with hard 'scrape'. I got my shot and never saw the snake again. He either died, unable to get out, or moved on.

They smell musty, like a combination of urine and tobacco juice, but only sometimes. I've caught them, and they didn't smell then. Maybe it's just the dens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread