Snakes..

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I love snakes and have had a lot of them as pets growing up. I also caught venomous ones and got paid by a research facility that made anti-venom. I bought my first car from the money I made doing it. I did get careless with a 4 1/2 ft Cotton Mouth that bit the back of my left hand. I had to have a skin graft to fill the hole that it left. I still love and respect snakes.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Excellent reading friends. Just popped in to let ya'll know I am still looking in from time to time, just been so busy.

Molly.

:hello: Hi Molly. Hope its been a good busy.
I still think this thread is creepy.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Molly said:
Excellent reading friends. Just popped in to let ya'll know I am still looking in from time to time, just been so busy.

Molly.

:hello: Hi Molly. Hope its been a good busy.
I still think this thread is creepy.

Hiya Diggin, yes a good busy, I am looking to buy a house & finally settle down, so alls good. It's funny how I am not only looking for a nice state to live in but, as to be rich in artifacts. I can't take much more of this heat in FL. By the time I'm 50, I'll have skin like leather. lol.
Good to hear from you again, TC my friend.

Molly.

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
California King Snake:

post_kingsnake_calif.jpg

This one was about 3' long.

They come out at dusk to hunt.

:)

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
bravowhiskey said:
Let's see is this a harmless Louisianna Milk Snake or a poisonous Coral Snake.

Do you remember the old saying to keep them straight....?????

DSC00218.jpg

Red touch black, friend to Jack, red touch yellow, kill a fellow....
Baggins

red on black venom lack...red on yellow kill a fellow.

HH,
BW

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
It's interesting that the Arizona snake has a yellow nose and the Lousiana snake
has a black nose.

Probably more interesting to the snakes than to us.

:)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

Great to see this topic is still running. I came across another creature which very much got my attension.... Frogs, we could hear them, and they drove us mad and stopped our sleep, but took me a couple of days to find them. I was looking for big frogs as it was big noise, to find them the size of a large penut..... They had great colours on them, and a balloon under the throat when it made the noises.... Just sorry I could not get the photo's of them.... quite amazing little creatures indeed.

God bless
Peter

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Granny Elf, yes I did make them quiet.... I got hold of them and threw them into the bush across the road from me where they can make as much noise as they want :icon_thumleft: It was very dark when I caught them, and they were real jumpers, so could not take a chance of them standing still and posing for the camera... sorry, let me look on the net for frog pictures and see if I can find them,,, if I do I will post it for you.

God bless
Peter

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I glad that we don't have snakes in the UK...well actually we do, but compared to yours ours are toys. Only one venomous variety and they tend to 'leg-it' if you get anywhere near them...

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick those pics are awesome, I have never seen that many in one place before..... wow that is scary stuff indeed.
Granny Elf, Happy Christmas to you also..... and of course to your family also.... pray that you get many presents to boast about next year. Granny Elf, I did a search on the net for the frogs but could not find them, if I get the chance again to photo them I will just for you :icon_thumright:
Hodge what snake in the UK is venomous? I only saw the green grass snake when I lived there, and the best they could do was to give you a head ache if they bit..... as kids we used to play with them when we got the chance to see them.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uk as the Adder, that's poisonous but, will do its utmost best to avoid ppl. The venom is actually quite strong but the adder does not inject much at any one time so there is less risk than from other venomous snakes that will strike repeatedly or inject more in one go.
Adders can be found all over mainland UK, but not Ireland, and are Scotland’s only native snake, demonstrating that they are the most capable snake in the world at surviving harsh conditions. The snakes do this by hibernating between October and Spring, coming out into the open at different times each year depending on the weather conditions.
Also, ppl don't usually kill Adders, they really pose no threat to ppl. There are also the grass snakes & smooth snakes, not venomous..
I never had to worry about snakes as a child playing in the woods (in UK), more worried about black widows...
Excellent post everyone.. :icon_thumleft:
I'll say one thing, I can't wait to get my sweet little butt outta FLA.. ;D

Merry Christmas friends.. :wink:

Attachments

• adder_in_grass.jpg
    adder_in_grass.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 459

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though they may not inject as much venom, if I saw one of those things with it's fangs buried in my arm... I KNOW I'd have a heart attack.

Merry Christmas to you too, Molly and hurry back to NC. :wink:

Calavo

Greenie
Dec 9, 2009
Fallbrook
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST
Love the black Pine snake. Very mellow guys. But at 6 feet long, they don't have many creatures to fear. Used to pick up a regular around the house in Ga. and carry around for a while showing the folks, then put him a little further from the house. Copperheads still give me the willies, but just because I came so close to stepping on so many times around the strawberry and blackberry patches. Me a my brothers where twice chased by a dang Coachwhip that liked to hang by the blackberry patch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread