Snakes..

RGINN said:
Cool pics, ng. I don't know about the king snake connection, but I do know that those pygmy rattlers are dead ringers for the Great Plains rat snake. I don't know to whose advantage that works out.

California has pygmy rattlers on the Channel islands (Catalina, for one) and also along the Lost Coast area. Several subspecies don't have rattles.

The pygmies are known to be shrub and tree climbers

very, very cool pics! I might do the same if I was brave enough to pic up a snake out somwhere!

Great Pics Naturegirl...... Not too good to pick up snakes when you cannot identify the type ::)

The first croc is quite an old one, that is why so fat.... the last pic which is the croc I suddenly found in front of me was about 10 years old..... at this age they are very lean and fit. I dont think it was hungry, which was lucky for me I guess ;D

God bless
Peter

Check out the teeth on this Nile crocodile....... I saw these up quite close when I was doing missionary work in Uganda at the source of the Nile from lake Victoria..... I love crocs.... :icon_thumleft:

nile-croc-teeth.jpg

God bless
Peter

Let's see is this a harmless Louisianna Milk Snake or a poisonous Coral Snake.

Do you remember the old saying to keep them straight....?????

DSC00218.jpg

red on black venom lack...red on yellow kill a fellow.

HH,
BW

So this is a poisonous corel snake ??? ::) (If you get bitten and you die, then you know that it was poisenous) :icon_thumleft:

God bless
Peter

Here's one from Central Florida USA. My daughter caught it in the garage and this is my son getting ready to release it in a nearby wetland. Pretty docile snake. The black racers we've found are a bit more nasty tempered (although non-venomous as well). Also have found lots of the little Ringnecked snakes and corns around the yard. Mind the ringnecks - if they get irritated or scared they secrete/excrete a musk that stinks to high heaven and is hard to wash off! Pretty little snakes though with a bright orange belly.

Many don't realize that the snake population down here helps control the rodents. Without the snakes, we'd be overrun with rats and mice I think. As some have indicated though, I also kill the venemous ones I find in the yard and neighborhood as we have lots of children and dogs running around. Pygmy rattlers are particularly bothersome as they look so small and harmless (watch for the yellow tail to ID them). If you all are in the St. Cloud FL area, stop by the Serpentarium on SR 192 - the gentleman that runs it has a venom collection operation and runs an exhibit and show open to the public.

Attachments

• joesnakelolores.JPG
    joesnakelolores.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 326
This was sent to me by a hunt club south of us in Alabama. They were weed eating around the steps and stirred up some copperheads under their porch. I do not advocate killing snakes but in a case like this you have no choice. I think they must have had a female in heat and the males followed looking to mate.
image006.jpg
image007.jpg

Here is a big ole copperhead up by Bald River in Tellico Tn. There were three or four of them wrapped up and mating you can see there heads sticking up. I walked on by,,,,,
DCP_1139.JPG

TnMountains

Snakes yuk they make good wallets :tongue3:

I would have kept on walking by too! And when they are keeping ya away from where you need to be ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Thanks for sharing though!

Wow! that's a lot of snakes. How big of an area did they occupy before she drew them in, I wonder. One female? I 've heard they knot up, but I never thought about where they were before they all gathered up. cool picture. I'm glad I didn't find them.

ng

naturegirl said:
Wow! that's a lot of snakes. How big of an area did they occupy before she drew them in, I wonder. One female? I 've heard they knot up, but I never thought about where they were before they all gathered up. cool picture. I'm glad I didn't find them.

ng
Hey naturegirl
I imagine they all crossed paths at somepoint :laughing7: No seriously I do not know. I have hiked across a ridge that was covered by Garter snakes one time. You could hardly take a step for all of them. I imagine they were mating as well.
Copperheads are a very dangerous snake and their venom causes everything to rot. Its the one snake here that blends very well and strikes with out provacation.I do not blame those guys for killing those.
HH
TnMtns

Wow, I have never seen so many snakes in one place before...... That is quite scary to even imagine. I heard a story once in Uganda from the local people about a small hill that is covered in Pythons. One of the locals has a skin from one of the snakes which is about 6 meters long. They are scared of this hill and will not go there as they say the snakes have eaten people..... not sure how true that is though ???

God bless
Peter

This is a video of a Serval catching a Puffadder in the Sabie National Park here in South Africa. I found it quite an unusual thing to see, the serval did not even worry about the cars and people.

Enjoy, God bless
Peter

Still a cool thread. Let's see, red on black, good for Jack, or no, it's red sky at night, uh... I couldn't remember those sayins. I like the croc pics. The strangest thing, they have an alligator farm up here in Colorado down in the San Luis Valley. Of course, that fits right in with the cattle mutilations, UFO's, alien visitors, and me camping down there all the time. If it doesn't snow us in pretty soon, we'll try to get some pics. Of the gator farm.

Excellent reading friends. Just popped in to let ya'll know I am still looking in from time to time, just been so busy.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back