So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I say for those who think money doesn't buy depth just haven't bought the right machine I guess. And probably depth isn't everything for some, but for some, it is everything.

Why does someone spend $50,000 on a Shelby mustang when they can buy a Kia for $8,000. Sure they both get you from point A to point B.

I've tried many of detector in our city park and only a few can still pull the goods, and none of them are in the low to mid price range.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Mikeraydj - Not to be nitpicky, but you showed the Deus for $949, which is correct, but its an extra $600 for the remote.

You are right. You can get it with the remote and no headphones for $1,150. still in the price range. Got the quote from Bart at Big boys hobbies. Which none of the others come with headphones. Now that being said, at $949 you get the headphones and no remote, but this is the only detector that the headphones are wireless and act as a remote for the detector.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also trying to figure out what the Deus that display is telling me. A "65" signal on the right side of the coil and a pair of 90's?

The Fisher may be old school - but it shows depth, confidence in the signal, relative conductivity, Fe3O4 level and battery level - and all the menu options are listed so you know where you are scrolling through. Pull the trigger to pinpoint or push to ground balance. Pretty intuitive.

I guess you get used to what you use.

'Course - you get used to hanging if you hang long enough.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be real happy to own that Nokta Fors CoRe.. Light, well built, easy on batteries, can be used on both dry land and wet salt sand built in light for night hunting, nice detector....

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But I was TOLD that light weight was a sign of a "cheap built" detector...?...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't know who said that, light doesn't necessarily mean cheap, titanium is lighter than stainless steel yet it is a lot stronger....

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Maybe on a cheap detector from harbor freight. My tdi sl is pretty darn light and it seems to be a quality detector. Most electronics are getting smaller and lighter.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does a 2k detector find you more stuff? Probably not, for most people who buy them. I can buy a $200 baseball bat, but guess what? I still can't hit a curveball! Paying 2k for a detector is a waste if you don't have the skill to detect. Yes, metal detecting is a skill that is learned and developed.

As I stated before, it's the lazy guys who want an instant advantage (they hope) by overspending on a detector. Same guys who buy the most expensive golf clubs, but still stink at the game. Money can't buy you skill or talent. You have to pay your dues like everyone else to get good at this hobby.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all you depth junkies:

Some people only ask one question; "How deep will it go?" Depth is FAR from being all-important! The whole "My detector air tests six inches deeper than yours, Nannernannerbooboo!" only shows a pronounced lack of knowledge about metal detecting. Up to about six or eight inches in depth, digging holes is not a big deal. If you are in rugged ground, and your detector can reach three feet on a big gold nugget, identification becomes just as important as depth. That was a big problem with Pulse Induction Detectors originally. With no way to discriminate between low conductive gold and highly conductive iron (or hot rocks), people were digging two or three feet into hard rocky ground just to find a nail or piece of barbed wire. Anybody that has ever had to dig those kinds of targets several times a day can tell you that identification becomes just as important as depth.

Anybody wondering why detectors are so expensive now is not knowledgeable about all the research and development that goes on in the detector manufacturing companies. Their electrical engineers are constantly traveling to test theories about depth and ID. Western Australia has some of the worst ground for metal detecting in the world. It is unfortunate that Western Australia also has a crap ton of gold still in the ground. Its no good to have a metal detector that will reach five feet deep on a target, but can't give you any idea of what that target is. One way would be to carry something like a Fisher FX-3. A very basic magnetometer. It will reach up to about fifteen feet deep on a large target (car size). It only sees ferrous targets (iron, steel, etc). So, if your detector finds a deep target, then waive your magnetometer over it. If it sounds off, that means your target is not gold, and you can ignore it. BUT WAIT! Maybe that piece of old saw blade is sitting on top of a two ounce nugget! THAT is when you need the Holy Grail of metal detectors: One that can get REAL depth, AND identify what it found. Every electrical engineer at every detector manufacturer is looking for that same thing. A balance between "How deep can it go?" and "What will I find when I dig it?" The kind of knowledge and experience that it takes to overcome problems like that doesn't come easy or cheap.

Mike

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does a 2k detector find you more stuff? Probably not, for most people who buy them. I can buy a $200 baseball bat, but guess what? I still can't hit a curveball! Paying 2k for a detector is a waste if you don't have the skill to detect. Yes, metal detecting is a skill that is learned and developed.

As I stated before, it's the lazy guys who want an instant advantage (they hope) by overspending on a detector. Same guys who buy the most expensive golf clubs, but still stink at the game. Money can't buy you skill or talent. You have to pay your dues like everyone else to get good at this hobby.
Lets say two guys have the exact same skill level but one guy has better equipment...which one will do better? Not just detecting but doing anything, racing cars, seeing who can cast a reel the furthest, etc...remember they have the EXACT same skill level.

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is better equipment??? Better seperation? Depth? Faster processor? Ability to see through minerals or iron? Higher cost?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets say two guys have the exact same skill level but one guy has better equipment...which one will do better? Not just detecting but doing anything, racing cars, seeing who can cast a reel the furthest, etc...remember they have the EXACT same skill level.

lookindown... While I have not yet chimed in on this thread I do have a comment now concerning this comment of yours. And if I'm to far "out there" I apologize. While I totally agree with you 99.9% of the time I have to share/ask this.

I used to shoot professional archery nationwide in the late 80's to early 90's. Now maybe this is not a good comparison but here goes. A perfect FITA score (60 shots) was 600 w/6 inside outs (60 Bulls eyes, zero misses and the last 6 arrows shot in the bulls eye NOT touching the scoring ring as "inside outs" (IO's)). Inside / outs were used to break any ties. My best recorded score was 600 w/5 IO's. Now I did this with the at the time the biggest diameter arrow shafts available (2512's xx75's). Now shooting this larger diameter shaft did make the target "larger" it really was a bad choice coming down to the wire for all us pro's. These large arrows were hell to shoot out of light weight target bows.

Many of us tried to "copy" the other to gain that one more IO to win. We all HAD THE SAME SKILL LEVEL 99.% of the time. We all shot perfect scores day in and day out. And we ALL HAD great equipment.

So here's my point finally lookindown.... I honestly used to use a compound bow with crooked limbs, bad axles, bad cams, entry level arrow rest and cheap arrows and shoot perfect NFAA rounds every time to make my point to students about equipment. I did this for years to make my point and it honestly wasn't good for business. It wasn't just about your equipment so much... but do you know how to use it?

So you remind us... "remember they have the EXACT same skill level." So here's the final conclusion from my humble opinion.... nothing, absolutely nothing beats EXPERIENCE with any equipment. Be it a race car, reel, bow or an upscale MD. Skill level with never be able to be graded unless all have the same equipment.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree completely. And sometimes with years of experience and trial and error with a lot of detectors, with putting in hundreds and hundreds of hours, you just want to try what you have heard and seen might be a better mouse trap. It doesn't matter the weight, the country of origin or what some people think is a foolish decision on your part. In the end, you are the one paying for it and swinggin' it. Why in the world would any one begrudge you and go out of their way to belittle you?................

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. In the end, you are the one paying for it and swinggin' it. Why in the world would any one begrudge you and go out of their way to belittle you?................

Because they are jealous they don't have one.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OK. Two skeet shooters of equal skill each select a double-barrel shotgun. One has a $1,000 shotgun that is the proper pull length, drop and bored Skeet 1 & Skeet 2. The other has a $10,000 shotgun that is too short for his arms and neck, has excessive drop so it slaps his cheek and is bored full/full for duck hunting. Who will break more birds?

Or, two equal skill golfers. One has a $300 set of clubs of proper length and the other a $3,000 set that are too long for his frame. Who will do better?

You can look through these forums for two hours and see that obviously different traits and ergonomics appeal to different detectorists. And we all have different targets and conditions we work with.

But, as a betting man, the $2,500 detector likely covers MORE variations than an $800 detector and will satisfy more folks. But probably not three times as much. The law of diminishing returns.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can only hunt in one mode anyway. Having options can define a hunt. But ease of use can make a difference. Most detectors will find a coin at 5inches. Iron discrimination, a large vdi, good program can make a difference. But if you don't dig all targets you are missing things. Also signal speed and target mask can be helpful. But if you clean thing out in levels you will get it all eventually.

My local hunts in park tot lots have shown me some one has dug everything. This most likely done by a machine with out many options. A more experienced detectorist with a high end detector would have left a lot of pull tabs, Penny's, and bottle caps. I say buy the most expensive toys you can afford. No use using junk, get the best you can. Took me two years to get my dream machine. A fancy digger(gift), and a propointer. I truely enjoy my hunts even when someone has cleaned out my spot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever wonder why some people object to what other people spend to buy....?

I see people driving Ferraris, talking $300,000 cars, I can go anywhere they go in my Mazda MX5 , difference is I really don't care what someone else spends on their car, it is their money, I guess it is just the way I was raised...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a Sonoma pu (s10), it goes places a full size truck can't get into. Its how you use the tools treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread