So...What did you find today with your Legend?

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2022-04-22 16.44.14.jpg
    2022-04-22 16.44.14.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, my very first BOMB!!
Actually only a "drop bomb detonator" according to the bomb squad. I was just going along the base of the small cut south of Ft Pierce jetty and got a very strong, non ferrous I think, 42 on my legend. Had to dig down about 10-12 inches and hit some thing big and solid. Had to dig under it a bit and found a nice rounded object Thought I had found a cannonball. Yippee!! But when I tried to pry it up it it became a cylindrical shape. Then it stuck me that I had possibly found an artillery shell. Called 911. Old WWII explosives are found sometimes around Ft Pierce. It was original training site for Navy UDT training. Anyway, Bomb squad called in and they very carefully removed the detonator which they said was " unstable and dangerous"

Attachments

• 20220425_102925.jpg
    20220425_102925.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220425_103004.jpg
    20220425_103004.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4103.JPG
    DSCN4103.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4112.JPG
    DSCN4112.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4114.JPG
    DSCN4114.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4122.JPG
    DSCN4122.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 59

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually only a "drop bomb detonator" according to the bomb squad. I was just going along the base of the small cut south of Ft Pierce jetty and got a very strong, non ferrous I think, 42 on my legend. Had to dig down about 10-12 inches and hit some thing big and solid. Had to dig under it a bit and found a nice rounded object Thought I had found a cannonball. Yippee!! But when I tried to pry it up it it became a cylindrical shape. Then it stuck me that I had possibly found an artillery shell. Called 911. Old WWII explosives are found sometimes around Ft Pierce. It was original training site for Navy UDT training. Anyway, Bomb squad called in and they very carefully removed the detonator which they said was " unstable and dangerous"
If you will allow a double dip, SLQ on my first hunt with the Legend. Posted last month

Attachments

• IMG_1236[1].JPG
    IMG_1236[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1237[1].JPG
    IMG_1237[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1239[1].JPG
    IMG_1239[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1238[1].JPG
    IMG_1238[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1240[1].JPG
    IMG_1240[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we're talking. I'd much rather see what you find with your Legend than talk about comparing it and testing it against the others. Although I sure do appreciate the videos and demos featuring just the Legend.
BTW does finding an item that requires the bomb squad to dispose of rate one of the gold stars, or banners, or something like that.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still dodging rain and snow here but I did spend a short while hunting my yard yesterday and found a pre WW2 Hawthorne Deluxe bike badge.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we're talking. I'd much rather see what you find with your Legend than talk about comparing it and testing it against the others. Although I sure do appreciate the videos and demos featuring just the Legend.
BTW does finding an item that requires the bomb squad to dispose of rate one of the gold stars, or banners, or something like that.
Unfortunately, not likely a banner but you WILL get lots of comments and probably stories of similar finds. You do need to be careful. Some years back there was a detectorist that died from an old bomb. Civil war or WW1, don’t remember which.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be sure that when I tried to pry it up and saw the the shape emerging and the squared nipple on my end I got all metal away from it, planted my shovel a little distant as a marker, and called 911 even before I took photos. The Treasure Beaches Report has an article about it and a link to Fort Pierce Police Dept Facebook page where they posted their own videos of the removal.
Many thanks to the others posting what they are finding with the Legend.
Here is what I found that day, before the detonator. Not at all as exciting.

Attachments

• DSCN4124.JPG
    DSCN4124.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 27

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be sure that when I tried to pry it up and saw the the shape emerging and the squared nipple on my end I got all metal away from it, planted my shovel a little distant as a marker, and called 911 even before I took photos. The Treasure Beaches Report has an article about it and a link to Fort Pierce Police Dept Facebook page where they posted their own videos of the removal.
Many thanks to the others posting what they are finding with the Legend.
Here is what I found that day, before the detonator. Not at all as exciting.

I have quite a few bottle caps that I dug earlier in the week from a local old trashy park. If they are on or near the surface the ferro check would tell me it’s likely a cap but if they are buried deep and rusty, there wouldn’t be anything in the ferro meter until I started to dig and then a single bar would show up. I hate to rebury junk so I would dig them out. Played with settings to see if I could eliminate them but couldnt quite get there.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have quite a few bottle caps that I dug earlier in the week from a local old trashy park. If they are on or near the surface the ferro check would tell me it’s likely a cap but if they are buried deep and rusty, there wouldn’t be anything in the ferro meter until I started to dig and then a single bar would show up. I hate to rebury junk so I would dig them out. Played with settings to see if I could eliminate them but couldnt quite get there.
I'm still trying to figure out why some people like Calabash are hating on the Ferro check meter so much? It's useful, more than not, for picking through the trash. Sometimes tones are useful, sometimes not. The same for TID. Different scenarios have different solutions.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do we care?
Attaching a photo I shot with a long lens while bomb squad was doing their recovery process. Asked my grandson, who is with Naval Security Forces at the USN Academy, if any of his folks might recognize it. They suggest it may be a small portable x-ray device. Anyone out there know FOR SURE, one way or other?

Attachments

• DSCN4112.JPG
    DSCN4112.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 31

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week, my very first ring.
short hunt after work yesterday on a 1911 permission netted 2 IHPs 1905 and 1894 (rare for this area), 2 wheats, 1 Rosie 1964 (17 silver ytd), Oklahoma tax token, an old key and some horse tack. Beat the heck out of doing anything responsible :)

Attachments

• IMG_1327[1].JPG
    IMG_1327[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1326[1].JPG
    IMG_1326[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fun hunt yesterday with the Legend. IHP 1907, Rosie 1963, 7 wheats, 9 shells\slugs\head stamp. 3 keys, 1 dog tag 1969, 1 silver plated spoon, 2 buttons (1 stamped 1819-1919) and $1.86 clad. Love that Legend.

Attachments

• IMG_1337[1].JPG
    IMG_1337[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife and I went to the beach in Vero for a couple of hours yesterday. Of course I brought the Legend. Just detected a bit around us. Happy to find a couple of wheaties.

Attachments

• 20220510_121813.jpg
    20220510_121813.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220510_122250.jpg
    20220510_122250.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 23

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday's hunt on a 1939 permission, 1 Washington, 1 Mercury, 1 Buffalo 1926, 20 Wheats and $2.83 Clad. Other than 5 slugs and a pair of broken sunglasses, no relics to speak of. Quite a fun hunt and loving that Legend.

Attachments

• IMG_1340[1].JPG
    IMG_1340[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1339[1].JPG
    IMG_1339[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1338[1].JPG
    IMG_1338[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1341[1].JPG
    IMG_1341[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 27

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Variety pack from yesterday's 1926 permission hunt. Rained off and on so I was a muddy mess, but felt like a kid the whole time :) Ground is quite soft and conductive from spring rains. 1 silver road runner tie tac, 1 silver coke spoon, (22 silver ytd) 5 wheats, 3 Spanish coins modern, 1 dog tag 1948, modern cufflinks, modern tie tac, 1 semi-precious striped stone, possible coin no ID, 1 skull pin, 8 slugs\shell casings, 1 key and $5.38 clad.

It was quite a lark and all the jewelry came from one spot no more than 36", like a jewelry spill or something. Thanks for peeking, each hunt is a new adventure. HH

Attachments

• IMG_1342[1].JPG
    IMG_1342[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Variety pack from yesterday's 1926 permission hunt. Rained off and on so I was a muddy mess, but felt like a kid the whole time :) Ground is quite soft and conductive from spring rains. 1 silver road runner tie tac, 1 silver coke spoon, (22 silver ytd) 5 wheats, 3 Spanish coins modern, 1 dog tag 1948, modern cufflinks, modern tie tac, 1 semi-precious striped stone, possible coin no ID, 1 skull pin, 8 slugs\shell casings, 1 key and $5.38 clad.

It was quite a lark and all the jewelry came from one spot no more than 36", like a jewelry spill or something. Thanks for peeking, each hunt is a new adventure. HH
Great stuff. That had to be a lot of fun. Congrats.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yesterday's afterwork hunt, returned to the 1926 permission. The Legend nabbed 1 Buffalo no date, 1 aluminum good luck token, 4 wheats, 1 Spanish coin modern, 1 stainless steel tie tac, 1 key, 1 shell casing, 1 duck, 1 crusty knife, $2.83 clad. I'd like to swing all the time but better not quit my day job

Attachments

• IMG_1343[1].JPG
    IMG_1343[1].JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 28

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread