(SOLVED) Gold Tie or Lapel Pin with possible diamonds. What is it?

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Hi Folks!

I found this nifty little thingmobob many years ago and it's been laying in one of my junk drawers ever since. With the price of gold going up, I figured it might be worth taking another look at it. After doing some searching on the web, I can't identify it. It looks like it might be military or police because it has a pair of chevrons on it.

On the reverse side is an inscription that reads - 14K EMB and something that looks like CTO (logo?) and a little (r) registered symbol.

It also has 2 small gemstones set in it that are either diamonds or cubic zirconia.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what value it might have?

Thanks in advance!

MikeG

Attachments

• pin-1.jpg
    pin-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6,551
  • pin-a.jpg
    pin-a.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,122
OP
OP
Galactic-Stone

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Hi Gang!

Whatever it is, I stuck it on eBay to see what the bidders think of it. :)

I went ahead and tagged this thread as "solved" since we are all in general agreement that it is some sort of company/corporate service pin.

It's melt value, as determined by the online calculator at the link below is about $30.

http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/gold_calculator.aspx

Best regards,

MikeG

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Galactic-Stone

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Thanks for the tip on the green check mark. I was wondering where those came from. LOL

Best regards,

MikeG

Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
OC Tanner did make this pin, and it was handed out for recognition, but it'd be almost impossible to tell by whom from what was embossed on this pin.

OC Tanner is a customer jewelry manufacturer, who is also an ASI dealer. The ASI is an association of speciality manufacturers that sells wholesale to other businesses, such as advertising agencies.

I've actually ordered product from OC Tanner on more than one occasion. I worked at a company that sold custom printed t-shirts, embroidered polo shirts, caps, jackets, etc, and advertising items; things like mugs, pens, can coolers, and lapel pins.

OC Tanner focuses on high-end jewelry including lapel pins, specifically silver and gold, either set with gems or not. The hospital I did work for ordered a set of these each year for their annual employee dinner. A plain silver pin with their logo went to those with 2 years service, a gold pin went to those with 5 years, gold and a single emerald for 10 years, and so on up to 30 years, with was gold with three diamonds.

The pins retail for between $30 and $???, depending on the metal and gem settings. Remember that even the simplest silver pin went for at least $30, since the artwork had to be created and formatted for use in the manufacturing process, even though there was much less than $30 of silver in the pin.

Now, I do have one caveat, and that's that the last time I dealt with OC Tanner was about 9 years ago. A lot could have changed since then.

Upvote 0

sporaxis

May 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst this thread is old and marked 'solved' I thought I would clarify what the pin shown is. It is a pin that recognises service but is awarded for the numbers of years service to the oil Company Chevron. 2 diamonds indicates that the employee has worked for Chevron for 10years. Each diamond marks 5 years.

How do I know? Well I just was awarded my 20 year pin. image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Truthhunter

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pin you were awarded

My wifes father was awarded a 3 diamond tie pin and a 5 diamond tie clip for services to Del Monte over the years. do not know whether they were 5 years diamonds or 10 years but it seems common practice in those days

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I know airlines wouldn't hand out pins of gold and diamonds...LOL
Look at mine...cheap quality...LOL
Could the chevrons and stars (diamond stars) indicate a level that someone achieved in the martial arts?"

Elle darling, unfortunately you are wrong. United Airlines hands out good service pins to their emplyees every five years which contain a small diamond (closer in size to a diamond chip, but a diamond none the less).

My treasure hunting partner is a flight controller for United Airlines. Last year he got a choice for his 10 year service pin, or other items. He was so mad that the 10 year was only gold filled and it certainly didn't have a diamond in it Lol! So he picked out a Bulova, United Airlines, ladies watch and gave it to me. If you're a pilot, then maybe they give you something better perhaps?

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst this thread is old and marked 'solved' I thought I would clarify what the pin shown is. It is a pin that recognises service but is awarded for the numbers of years service to the oil Company Chevron. 2 diamonds indicates that the employee has worked for Chevron for 10years. Each diamond marks 5 years.

How do I know? Well I just was awarded my 20 year pin. View attachment 1155901 View attachment 1155901

He is exactly right! Plus if a service pin is 14k gold they will usually put real diamonds in them. When I worked for Time Warner every five years we got sterling silver pins from Tiffany's and the stones were always real. I sure miss those pretty, aqua colored boxes with the matching ribbons on them... :love7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread